7.2 to 9.2, almost done

W

Warmonger

Audioholic Intern
I see a new gadget in that last picture. Which APC did you get? S15, S20 perhaps?
Yeah, I got a good deal on the J15BLK and intend to replace the Panamax 5300. I'm putting the 5300 on my wife's theatre setup. The APC came in the day before I had surgery. I can't lift anything over 10lbs for a month, otherwise it would be installed already.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That's too bad, sorry to hear that. However congrats on the J15. I have an S15 in silver and couldn't be happier with it. I plugged my amp into a regular surge protector and turned everything on, but with no signal. Then did the same with the amp plugged into the APC and there was a very noticeable difference in noise coming from the tweeter. So I have to say I'm extremely happy with APC.

Hope you enjoy yours, cheers :)

W

Warmonger

Audioholic Intern
Haha yes I have one of those to I ignore her as well, how does the 9.2 stand up against the 7.2
Overall I'm loving the 9.2 setup although the effects vary from movie to movie. I've seen the the front heights come to life mainly with those movies recorded in 7.1 and when I choose surround mode Pro Logic IIz. To me, the front heights creates a more theater like performance, for the sound is not just in front. There is dimension to the sound just as though you're in a theater. You know the sound is in front of you, but you can't destinguish it's height as well as you can destinguish left-center-right, most of the time. 9.2 heights gives you that theater like, wall of sound, experience. Occassionally, I could hear the sound appear as though it was above me. Now that was exciting although those were just moments in a movie. I hope more movies move to the 7.1 recording format to utilize front height speakers more often. I can't help but think that ceiling mount speakers add even more to the experience. I don't have the same experience with movies recorded in 5.1.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Overall I'm loving the 9.2 setup although the effects vary from movie to movie. I've seen the the front heights come to life mainly with those movies recorded in 7.1 and when I choose surround mode Pro Logic IIz. To me, the front heights creates a more theater like performance, for the sound is not just in front. There is dimension to the sound just as though you're in a theater. You know the sound is in front of you, but you can't destinguish it's height as well as you can destinguish left-center-right, most of the time. 9.2 heights gives you that theater like, wall of sound, experience. Occassionally, I could hear the sound appear as though it was above me. Now that was exciting although those were just moments in a movie. I hope more movies move to the 7.1 recording format to utilize front height speakers more often. I can't help but think that ceiling mount speakers add even more to the experience. I don't have the same experience with movies recorded in 5.1.
I'm in love with myn running 7.1 the front effect speakers mounted in the top of each corner are amazing I love it

W

Warmonger

Audioholic Intern
I'm in love with myn running 7.1 the front effect speakers mounted in the top of each corner are amazing I love it
If I had room for the speakers, I'd upgrade my Marantz AV7005 to their new AV8801, 11.2 Pre Amp. I'm lovin 9.2 so 11.2 must be amazing!

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
If I had room for the speakers, I'd upgrade my Marantz AV7005 to their new AV8801, 11.2 Pre Amp. I'm lovin 9.2 so 11.2 must be amazing!
I listend to a 11.2 last week my parents have a cinema center up stairs it's a great sound and feeling :) front sound stage side surround rear surrond and extras in the roof and a few big subs up front I was blown away by the performance of the marantz Avr

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Nice setup. Any updates? Quick question what kind of effect does the high fronts do? and where are the wires? oh nooooooooo...MAYBE A 2ND PAIR OF WHAFS FOR ME. :)

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Nice setup. Any updates? Quick question what kind of effect does the high fronts do? and where are the wires? oh nooooooooo...

How funny would it be if he showed us a picture of the back wall that revealed hammer holes running the wires through the walls with wires hanging out of them, lol...

Anyway, that looks awesome, must sound insane, Im not a fan of much over 5. but yours looks great... I love the stand under the tv, I like when things are full and that my friend is pretty full of gear, awesome job...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Maybe a wireless set up it seems. This must be heaven. :) I thought mine were low yours are lower.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Nice setup. Any updates? Quick question what kind of effect does the high fronts do?
The front highs/wides are the same as when you up mix from 5-7. The processing takes tonal cues from the front 3 channels and routes some of that sound to those high/wide channels to give the illusion of a taller/wider soundstage.

One of the big reasons I added heights is because my front L/R are squeezed inside of the Phil 3's, which really helps crush their soundstage along with a small room. Adding heights really helped make the soundstage higher and wider because I'm using the E-41B's which are fantastic imaging speakers with a pretty large soundstage on their own.

Last edited:
W

Warmonger

Audioholic Intern
11.2 Front.jpg
I took the system to 11.2 (Marantz Pre-amp AV8801) about six months back. As you can see I also upgraded the subs to ES1010i and I added E5Bi Bookshelf as the Front Wide speakers. Admittedly, not the best position for front-wide speakers but given the space, I had no choice. Even with the less than desirable position, you can hear the image shift as the sound stage grew. What's great about it is the volume doesn't have to be "LOUD". The directional sound is what friends and family notice. The stadium effect is unbelievable when watching football. Whatever your watching seems to be happening around you. Marantz's AV8801 pre-amp is just plain unbelievable. Anyways, this system is history. I'm having a new home built and my game/media room will have the 4k video projection TV. The front heights, rear sides and rear back will all be Paradigm ceiling mount speakers. I will be moving in, mid November.
P/S: The hole in the wall is about the size of a quarter. The wires for the rear/back speakers are running along the base board. You can see them in the early pics above. Look in the corner.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Marantz I remember my sis ex had one back in the day and that thing was sweet. I don't have much space, but I'll make it work. Thanks for the update and congrats on your new home. I can't wait to see your update in Dec-Jan. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Marantz I remember my sis ex had one back in the day and that thing was sweet. I don't have much space, but I'll make it work. Thanks for the update and congrats on your new home. I can't wait to see your update in Dec-Jan. :D
Oh how I would like to go back to Marantz. Not that I think I would hear a difference.........I just think they're pretty :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Oh how I would like to go back to Marantz. Not that I think I would hear a difference.........I just think they're pretty :D
Sadly that is the reason I'm getting one for the new TV area. They just look nice.

P

paper64

Audiophyte
hey
i have a Pioneer LX75 , and running JAMO THX D6 7.1 speakers at the moment ( with rear back ) , i wanted to ask if i should go 9.1 and place my extra speakers in the front hight or front wide please?
my room is 6M ( length ) X 3M ( wide ) and the hight is around 2.7 meters :)
i only use that room for movies so please tell me what set up i would get the best result :)
thank you

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Only you can decide if it's worth it or not. I would say, set them up and give it a run. It can't hurt. Just make sure you get the placement right.

hey
i have a Pioneer LX75 , and running JAMO THX D6 7.1 speakers at the moment ( with rear back ) , i wanted to ask if i should go 9.1 and place my extra speakers in the front hight or front wide please?
my room is 6M ( length ) X 3M ( wide ) and the hight is around 2.7 meters :)
i only use that room for movies so please tell me what set up i would get the best result :)
thank you

SpenceJT

SpenceJT

Audioholic Intern
Great setup! I am looking to do something similar, albeit with a continuation of my Axiom Audio speaker system. I have recently upgraded my m22 (stand-mounted) to a pair of m60 floor standing speakers for front r/l. I was intending to repurpose the smaller m22's and place each one on top of my oak entertainment tower/s, but I like the idea of having a pair of dipole speakers for height. Has anyone experienced 9.2 with direct reflecting speakers? Do you think that they would be sufficient until which time I can convince my wife that I need to replace them with a pair of Axiom QS8s?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis