7.2 receiver, sound card or external DAC?

H

Hifi Artist

Audiophyte
Hello everyone,

I just got a hold of a 7.2 receiver, and I have a 5.0 set-up right now. I'm planning on running a lot of music through my computer, and while I have all the FLAC files I need, I need some way to get the hifi sound from my PC to my speakers.

Can anyone recommend a good mid-level sound card or DAC for ~$200? Any preference for one or the other and reasons why? Thanks!

connieflyer

connieflyer

Audioholic
I am using an Asus Essence STX for the line out to stereo receiver. I think that if you want to use multi channel the ST version would work better for you as it uses a daughter card to output 5.1 sound, where as the STX only has right and left. I have used this card for more than a year and find it quite relieable and a very good value. The sound is execellent and checking it with a latency checker find my system is not impacted by it.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
IMO, spending that kind of money on a dedicated sound card is a waste, unless you intend to do mixing/processing kind of work. If you get a decent graphics card, it will bitstream audio via HDMI (even HD Audio from a BD). Now the receiver can do DAC in a relatively noise free environment.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Personally, I would never bit-stream from a graphics card (not saying it's "wrong" but I wouldn't do it personally).

However, if your computer has a digital out already on the mobo, then it is definitely worth trying to hook that directly to your receiver and it will most likely sound very good.

Now, I agree that $200 just for a sound card is a waste. A soundcard is in a noisy, interference laden area inside a computer chasis. Also, if the computer P/S isnt very robust, you risk feeding it sub-optimal power. If you do go with internal soundcard for the D/A duties, be sure it is shielded.

I do like an outboard DAC for my 2 channel rig. An outboard DAC is comparable to an external soundcard. That gets it out of the problematic computer chasis. Also, with future computers, you can transfer the DAC easier than swap a soundcard out, and if the PCIe becomes obsolete, it won't effect you.

For my HT rig, the DACs in my Pio Elite are fine from my HTPC mobo optical or coax digi out.

As far as sound cards, read this:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-servers/83588-looking-good-pc-sound-card-need-help.html

As far as a DAC, check out Emotiva XDA-2 or the Dragonfly Amazon.com: AudioQuest DragonFly Asynchronous USB Digital-Audio Converter (DAC): Electronics

connieflyer

connieflyer

Audioholic
I spend most of my time on the computer under headphones, hd650's and compared to the sound out of the onboard audio, and my soundblaster card this Asus is superior in every way. Shielded components, a 750 watt Bronze power supply provide a very good sound, also using J River Media center software. It to me is a great sound. Better than using the headphone out on the Harmon-Kaardon Avr 510 for the computer room, actually the headphone out on this sound card sounds better than my Harmon-Kardon Avr 2100's headphone out. Your mileage may vary.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis