7.2 Receiver Recommendations?

M

martymar

Audiophyte
Hey All,

I am looking for a recommendation on a new AV receiver that will meet my needs. My Denon AVR-2312CL just broke down on me 11 months after the warranty expired, so I am looking for a replacement. :/

My speaker setup consists of:
Front R/L: Def Tech 8040-BP towers
Center: Def Tech CS-8040
Surround R/L: Def Tech BP-1.2X (these are a pretty old model, but the closest comparable model would be the SR-9040BP surround speakers)
Surround Back R/L: Def Tech Pro Monitor 800's
Sub: Def Tech Super-cube 2

The most important consideration for me would be properly powering my speakers. I have been quite pleased with the Def Tech's and after years spent in apartments listening at gentle levels, and patiently breaking them in, I now have a dedicated theater room in my basement where I will be able to let them work to their full potential.

As far as video connections, my needs are much simpler. I currently have a 50" Panasonic VT-50 3d Plasma screen, and a basic Samsung 3d BluRay player. At this point in time I think that 4k compatibility should be on my checklist as well, but it isn't essential for my current setup.

I would like to stay under $1,000.00 but I am open to hearing what a receiver in the 1-2,000 range could offer as far as advantages. My 7.2 setup sounded fantastic while my Denon was working, so just getting operational again would be fine, I just bought the 2 surround speakers (a killer pawn shop discovery imo), and wasn't really thinking about adding anything more,and I also don't anticipate wanting to add a second zone, but that being said, I would be open to everyone's thoughts on Dolby Atmos, especially since any receiver I may purchase will most likely support the format.

I'm just hoping to get a few good recommendations since it seems I've had pretty bad luck with receivers over the years...hopefully I can pick up a new unit that will stay with me for awhile.

Thanks!

Last edited:
M

martymar

Audiophyte
I guess brand-wise, I've had issues with Denon and Pioneer. So naturally, I'm looking to avoid them (unless you have good reason to sway me otherwise) and right now I'm a bit interested in the Yamaha A760. It's the entry-level Aventage unit, and at $650 it's right in my budget. It appears going up in price with Yamaha gets you a slight bump in wattage, but the real difference is HDMI zone capabilities (which I don't anticipate using) SO YEAH, any thoughts on the A760 or some comparible receivers would be great!

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I guess brand-wise, I've had issues with Denon and Pioneer. So naturally, I'm looking to avoid them (unless you have good reason to sway me otherwise) and right now I'm a bit interested in the Yamaha A760. It's the entry-level Aventage unit, and at $650 it's right in my budget. It appears going up in price with Yamaha gets you a slight bump in wattage, but the real difference is HDMI zone capabilities (which I don't anticipate using) SO YEAH, any thoughts on the A760 or some comparible receivers would be great!
I just checked the Yamaha website, the 'entry-level' Aventage is RX-A660. $550.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha are well respected here and extremely favorable, if I may ask what issues have you experienced with denon and where did you buy them from?, of course things do happen, just a little surprised at hearing unfavorable experiences with denon while many of us have and had loving relationships with denon new & refurbished units from accessories4less.com...but as stated things do happen.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis