7.1 Surround set up not working on TWO different receivers

H

Hergens

Audiophyte
When I upgraded to Samsung 3D TV in December of 2011, I also purchased a Pioneer VSX1121K Audio Receiver as I suspected my Sony would not carry through the 3D signal. The receiver has always worked great with 5.1.

A few months ago, I purchased my first house and immediately set to wiring the in ceiling speakers I always wanted. I wired it for 7.1, that is 3 in the front, 2 surround to the left and right, and 2 back surround a few feet behind the listening position, and inwards at a 45 degree angle from the side surround.

I also decided to create a media closet. I ran all the speaker wire myself and ended them in banana clips to make install easier on the receiver. For reasons to long to explain, all of the equipment is currently running to a makeshift outlet in my attic that is, in fact, ungrounded. This might be important.

Here's the problem. During a tone check, I get barely audible sound out the L and R surround (not rear), even when I increase the dB to the max. Believing it to be a receiver problem I sent that receiver to the shop. I have replaced it with my older Sony, which also happens to be 7.1 (and I was right the 3D does not pass through). When I ran the tone check on this, same problem! Also, I have switched the speakers to a different location and they work fine and the speakers that were previously working fine have the same problem when moved to that location.

Any thoughts? Also, both my receivers shut down when heavy bass hits. I don't have my SW hooked up yet, as I haven't decided on a location.

Your thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
You should check your wiring. Make sure the connections at each end are good. If your wiring is good, then check the surround speakers themselves.

H

Hergens

Audiophyte
What exactly would I be checking for on the wiring? When I move those speakers to the Rear (surround) channels, the sound is fine. When I move speakers that sound fine to the Surround (side) channels, they experience the same issue. If it were a wiring issue, wouldn't it be consistently low, regardless of where I plugged them in?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
What exactly would I be checking for on the wiring? When I move those speakers to the Rear (surround) channels, the sound is fine. When I move speakers that sound fine to the Surround (side) channels, they experience the same issue. If it were a wiring issue, wouldn't it be consistently low, regardless of where I plugged them in?
If I understand what you are saying, you have moved the speakers to different connections, and so the speakers all work fine.

But have you hooked up other channels through the wiring that was used for the problem surround channels? If not, your problem is likely in the wiring that was used in every instance where there was a problem.

If it is a wiring issue, it occurs when using the defective/problematic wire. If the problem always occurs with whatever speakers are moved to the surround position (and consequently using the speaker wire that goes to the surround position), then you should be checking that speaker wire. You will want to make sure that the banana plugs are properly connected to the ends of the wire. If you have a meter, you can check the wire for resistance (with it not hooked up to anything else at either end).

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
This is what I get from this thread: Speakers A in location A work fine and the speakers B in location B are weak.

Now, you switched speakers A and B to each others location.

Speakers B, that were weak, are now fine and speakers A, that were fine, are now weak.

If that's the case, it ain't the speakers, and it ain't the amp. What's left?

Last edited:
H

Hergens

Audiophyte
This is what I get from this thread: Speakers A in location A work fine and the speakers B in location B are weak.

Now, you switched speakers A and B to each others location.

Speakers B, that were weak, are now fine and speakers A, that were fine, are now fine.

If that's the case, it ain't the speakers, and it ain't the amp. What's left?
markw nailed it. If it were the speaker wire then they shouldn't work, regardless of where I put them.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Oops... I had a typo in my first post

Please note I changed the last word in the third sentence to correctly convey my thoughts.

If both speakers work in location A, but neither work in location B, then it's the wires going to location B

H

Hergens

Audiophyte
The speakers are mounted in the ceiling. The wires run through the attic and down into a closet where they are banana'd into the receiver posts. By simply pulling those bananas out and moving them to a different set, I have perfect sound. When I put any other clips in those two posts, the sound is bad. In short, I'm not physically changing the speakers from the wire, I'm just changing where they plug into. Does that make sense? That's why I can't see how it's the speaker or the wire which is why I dropped the receiver off. What concerns me is that on my back up receiver, the same issue is occurring. How is that possible?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis