7.1 speaker placement?'s

B

Blackhawk95

Enthusiast
Hello gentlemen.

I new to the site and this is my first post.

I have a question regarding speaker placement in a 7.1 system. I have 5.1 in the past. And in my new home I would like to step up to the 7.1.

As far as components go, I have the following.
Yamaha rx-a2020 AVR
Def Tech promonitor 1000 4ea.
Def Tech Procenter 2000
Def tech sub.

I ordered a pair of Studio Monitor 350's for a good deal, I was planning on using those as front right and left channels.

So, after reviewing the Yamaha manual for the receiver It shows two setups for a 7.1 system. One with channels 6 and 7 placed in the front and high on the wall. While the second places the in the rear as surround back left and right.

It does not really say how one vs. the other sounds different.

Id like to know what setup I should go with? Which one would possibly sound better. I'm almost thinking the surround back layout might produce a more 3D sound field.

Also, I did have the room wired for 9.1 if in the future I decided to add a extra pair of speakers.

Thank you for your time.

Jerid

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
You need to read your manual more carefully. Extra speakers up front are for what Yamaha calls "presence". They are artificially generated channels designed to give a more "spacious" sound (for want of a better expression) to the front. The rear surround speakers are or can be discrete channels from a 7.1 soundtrack. This is to "fill in" the sound in the back of the room. So which, if either, you should use depends on what effect you want. If you can do so without too much trouble, you might want to try both to see which you prefer. Your receiver allows you to have both, if you have enough speakers for it.

B

Blackhawk95

Enthusiast
According to the manual, it states.

7.1 using front presence speakers.
this setup uses front presence speakers to produce a natural 3D sound field.

7.1 using back surround speakers.
This setup creates virtual presence speaker using front, center and surround speakers to produce a 3D sound field and allows you to enjoy extended surround sound using the back surround sound speakers.

I could test the sound difference since the wiring is already in place. I'm curious to what are peoples preferences on the front vs. rears?

Thanks

J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
Typical 7.1 setup uses rear speakers. Just my 2 cents :)

B

Blackhawk95

Enthusiast
I have looked at the Dolby 7.1 setup before. Like I mentioned, my manual doesn't give a good explanation of 7.1 front vs. rear.

From everything I've read today I'm going to try putting them in the rear at first. I may be wrong but, after goggling Yamaha virtual presence speakers. It sounds to me as if the front high speakers get there sound from the DSP? where as the rear does not.

thanks guys.

B

Blackhawk95

Enthusiast
After much reading and thought. I'm going to use the sixth and seventh speaker as back surrounds for now. Since I already have the speakers wires ran for 9.1 I may try them up front, I can just spackle the holes for the wires if I don't like how they sound.

Thank you very much for your input.

Jerid.

Also, Please see my post about subs in the subwoofer section. I could use as much advice as I can get on that question.

O

Olethron

Audiophyte
Is it not possible to use the presence (PL/PR) speakers and the surround (SBL/SBR) back left/right all together?

Setup:
4 speakers in the back (SBL/SBR) (SL/SR)
2 towers in the front
2 presence (PL/PR) speakers
Sub
Center

Last edited:
N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Is it not possible to use the presence (PL/PR) speakers and the surround (SBL/SBR) back left/right all together?

Setup:
4 speakers in the back (SBL/SBR) (SL/SR)
2 towers in the front
2 presence (PL/PR) speakers
Sub
Center
Absolutely.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis