7.1 Audio Through HDMI

Z

zswickliffe

Audiophyte
Hello everyone! This is my first post and I come here for advice. I recently bought two monster cable HDMI cables, one to go from my PS3 to my Receiver and another from the Receiver to my TV. I am getting mixed answers to my questions. Firstly, I was told that the only way I could get 7.1 audio was to buy a more expensive cable, which is the only reason I bought the expensive cable in the first place. I am starting to believe this isn't true. Secondly, what cables are recommended if I don't need a more expensive one?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
Wow, someone took you for a ride. Don't worry when I first started this years back I thought monster was the king like bose. All it is advertising!!!

The only way your going to get 7.1 is from the source, IE the movie being encoded with 7.1 sound. This website shows which movies have 7.1 http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php?OrderBy=Title&Audio=7.1

I would return the cables and get your cables from Blue Jeans or Monoprice, both are internet based stores, if you want to buy from the store you got the monster, just get the cheapest they have. Most will do just fine.

Hope that helps.

Z

zswickliffe

Audiophyte
Wow, someone took you for a ride. Don't worry when I first started this years back I thought monster was the king like bose. All it is advertising!!!

The only way your going to get 7.1 is from the source, IE the movie being encoded with 7.1 sound. This website shows which movies have 7.1

I would return the cables and get your cables from Blue Jeans or Monoprice, both are internet based stores, if you want to buy from the store you got the monster, just get the cheapest they have. Most will do just fine.

Hope that helps.
Actually it was my dad... just thought posting it as if it happened to me would be simpler than explaining the whole situation. But yeah, he called me up saying "I can't believe the cables were $75 and $100!". I instantly told him it wasn't right and I would look into it. Thank you for the fast response and those cables are going back tomorrow.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Actually it was my dad... just thought posting it as if it happened to me would be simpler than explaining the whole situation. But yeah, he called me up saying "I can't believe the cables were $75 and $100!". I instantly told him it wasn't right and I would look into it. Thank you for the fast response and those cables are going back tomorrow.
Three places to buy cables from:

monoprice.com
parts-express.com
bluejeanscable.com

-pat

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis