6ft cable=signal; 17ft.=signal??? HELP

Z

zeldman

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I have a JVC DVHS VCR, running to an InFocus X1 projector. With a 1080i HiDef signal via component out over a cheap Radio Shack 6ft cable I get a signal, but with a 17ft 90.00 Tributary (Delta) cable I get nothing. No problems with progressive DVD 480p, but only with 1080i.

Any solution to this? Will an even more expensive cable really make the difference?

Az</font>

S

SoftEng

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Have you tried a longer cheap Radio Shack cable?</font>

Z

zeldman

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I will see if they have and give it a try. I'm already going to return the 90.00 Tributary 17ft. cables.</font>

Z

zeldman

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the reply, and I could give that a try. However, read the following:

Well, I finally got a response from JVC's &quot;next level&quot; tech support, and here's what they told me.

The unit is not designed for delivering &nbsp;component video more than over 3ft cables they provide. They were surprised I could get 480p over 6ft, but not than I couldn't get 1080i over a greater distance regadles of the cables used.

Therefore from their perspective - no solution.This response seems pretty pathetic to me, and indicates and real weakness on the 1080i (or perhaps even 720p) output of the deck. This also means I have no way I can use 1080i between the DVHS and my projector since all my AV equipment (receiver, speakers, three VCRs, two DVD players) its at least 14ft. from the ceiling mounted X1 projector. I see no way of using the DVHS-X1 connection for 1080i unless I celing mount the DVHS as well - very impractical in my den, and would also involve running long audio cables back to the receiver, and connection to the rest of the AV &nbsp;system (including basic TV), and other VCRs for dubbing.

Any possible solutions to this? JVC also told me there's no way of boosting the component signal once it's left the DVHS, but I can't imagine there's no way of doing that. One thought I did have was that since the component to VGA-in of the X1 projector is via a &quot;component-to-VESA adapter&quot; by InFocus, perhaps I could put that at the DVHS end, and run a long VGA cable to the projector. Maybe the long VGA cable would have better luck than the long (17ft.) component cables.

How does that sound?

Az</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>One other option is to use Video Baluns. These cool devices take Unbalanced (Component) balance the signal (which allows longer runs) and pass it along CAT5 (UTP - cheap networking cables) to another Balun which then reconvert the signal. Check MuxLab makes the best. Not cheap but works well I'm told.</font>

Z

zeldman

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Problem solved - FINALLY and for REAL!!

I took the JVC DVHS (HM-DH30000U) and my X1 to Business Methods here in Rochester, NY, as recommended by InFocus. They almost immediately determined that InFocus's &quot;Component-to-VESA (VGA)&quot; adapter was at fault. Once replaced with a better breakout cable - 1080i, perfect picture. Despite rapid and thorough e-mail customer service from InFocus over this whole issue (with Dave), they never suspected the adapter could be the problem since I was able to get 720p, just not 1080i. Now even with the cheaper 25ft. cables the signal carries fine; though I'll stick to the better ones.

Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions and ponderings over this weird technical problem which has frustrated me for over 2 months.

Best Regards

Az</font>

M

Mike Lundy

So what brand of vesa adapter did you use? I have the same setup almost...

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
zeldman said:
<font color='#000000'>Problem solved - FINALLY and for REAL!!

I took the JVC DVHS (HM-DH30000U) and my X1 to Business Methods here in Rochester, NY, as recommended by InFocus. They almost immediately determined that InFocus's &quot;Component-to-VESA (VGA)&quot; adapter was at fault. Once replaced with a better breakout cable - 1080i, perfect picture. Despite rapid and thorough e-mail customer service from InFocus over this whole issue (with Dave), they never suspected the adapter could be the problem since I was able to get 720p, just not 1080i. Now even with the cheaper 25ft. cables the signal carries fine; though I'll stick to the better ones.

Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions and ponderings over this weird technical problem which has frustrated me for over 2 months.

Best Regards

Az</font>
Shows you that even JVC is fibbing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis