6-700$ Sub options?

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
I'm shopping for a new sub for my HT. Been browsing left and right for reviews. I'm almost set on an Axiom P350 v2.

Before I pull the trigger, I'd like to hear from those in the know, what other options might be available? I was also thinking on a used Martin Logan Abyss, but I kinda like the idea of buying new...

What else is out there that would sound good musically in the 600-700$ price range?

annunaki

annunaki

SVS has some great offerings in that price range. Also check out Dayton Audio's Titanic and Reference kits if you do not mind a VERY simple 1-2 hr. DIY project. Pinnacle has a great close out deal on there DIG600 Subwoofer (dual 12" 600 watts rms sealed subs for around that price) PM me for details there.

Pinnacle:

DIG600

Dayton Kits:

Titanic 15"

Titanic 12"

Reference High Fidelity 12"

SVS:

PB12-NSD

Any of these should work well for you.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I agree, a solid list. The only thing I might add would be the HSU research VTF-2 Mk3 at $499 and the VTF-3 Mk3 for $699. And since you said musical, the SVS SB-12 Plus is also $699, though those last 2 are obviously at the top of your range.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I have the Titanic 15". It's a killer sub.
It sits in a 700 sq ft room and rocks the house on movie night. But it's still got a very tight sound when used for music.

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
Thanks annunaki!

Plenty of options to check out.

The Pinnacle design is interesting. I'm rather curious to understand how it works it the two drivers in line.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I own the SVS SB12-Plus.
For it's comparatively small size it's an absolute monster.
My first choice, however was the PCi line. I just couldn't convince the boss.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb12nsd.cfm

Has similar performance specs to my B&W 12" woofer and it is only $599. My B&W shakes the room very effectively with movie LFE. If you want to move a little more air they have dual 12" model for $899. If I were buying a sub today, these would interest me a lot. Great specs, great prices.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
If I was on the market for a new sub, and looks weren't important, I would be looking very hard at the ED-A5 350.... for the money that will be a hard sub to beat..... Although there haven't been a whole lot of people that have received them yet to give up a solid review...

Note: that orders take almost a month or more to fill...

I have a PB12-Plus and a Plus/2 and they are great subs, and SVS is a well respected company that stands behind their product and is great to deal with...

Maybe you could give us a background of what size room you have and what kind of equipment that you have....

jinjuku

jinjuku

If I was on the market for a new sub, and looks weren't important, I would be looking very hard at the ED-A5 350....
All equipment is black when the lights go out...:D It looks 'good enough' in respect to the performance that I believe will be had out of it.

The one on order is between 3 and 4 weeks. One can wait 4 weeks for a sub they will have for the next 15-20 years.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
HAHAHHAH the rest of my life... thats funny...

Thats what I was thinking when I bought those 2 SVS subs, and now Im on a path to build some extreme subs, not to be beaten by maybe a handful of commercial subs...

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
keep an eye on the SVS B stock page, you may just find something you really like for a great price.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I somewhat recently built a sonosub with the Dayton 12" High Fidelity driver and paired it with a 250 watt amp. Thing damn near blows the windows out.

If I were buying now, I'd be getting the Dayton sealed kit from PE.

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
keep an eye on the SVS B stock page, you may just find something you really like for a great price.
Yes, I'm keeping an eye on the SVS B Stock. I'm not sure if I want a new end table though... hehe

If I was on the market for a new sub, and looks weren't important, I would be looking very hard at the ED-A5 350.... for the money that will be a hard sub to beat..... Although there haven't been a whole lot of people that have received them yet to give up a solid review...

Note: that orders take almost a month or more to fill...

I have a PB12-Plus and a Plus/2 and they are great subs, and SVS is a well respected company that stands behind their product and is great to deal with...

Maybe you could give us a background of what size room you have and what kind of equipment that you have....
My current setup is listed in my sig. NAD T743 5x50W amp with Monitor Audio RS6 towers and RS-LCR in the front. A pair of RS1 for the surround channels.

My living room is open to the dinner/kitchen area. It occupies the whole lower floor of a two story 1,200 sqft town house. Fairly large volume (~4,000 cubic feet). I don't need to go all out on SPL levels though. My neighbors might not appreciate as much as me...

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, I'm keeping an eye on the SVS B Stock. I'm not sure if I want a new end table though... hehe
They make cylinder subs too, those are quite awesome I might add, every bit as good as the box subs.

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
So much for my budget...

I just pulled the trigger on an SVS PB-12 Plus sub, in Oak finish. The overstock special tipped the balance for me. Plus de PEQ was becoming more of a necessity. My rooms acoustic resonates a lot in the 40Hz range. I hope to get a flat response with this guy. The Big Daddy's steps in Bioshock are very loud indeed!

Thanks for all the advices.

Next will be a separate amp. No rush yet...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Good choice :) Let us know your thoughts when you get it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis