$6,000 Recommended Two-Channel Stereo System

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Be careful with this, I was quite surprised with this post, it merely looks like a hidden ad from the AH store, you claim your independence Gene but posts like this with recommendations and direct link to th AH shop can easily bring questions to the AH independency, at least it's what I think.

When this is said and done I think I would look to other components for a two channel system, I will post later my thoughts about what I consider....

There are lots of different products in Europe compared to USA and price profiles are different, so probably that explians why for instance Danish speakers (System Audio, Dynavector, Dynaudio) are so popular over here but expensive in US
I think Gene has already fielded the accusation of giving favorable reviews to products the store sells. While it's impossible (in my view) to be somewhat biased toward what you profit from I think you might try finding the posts where he said that they try to sell what they favorably reviewed as opposed to favorably reviewing what they sell. Even I'm willing to cut him that much slack.

... and Gene, should you want to buy me a plain ticket to Fla ... I would be okay with it. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, maybe we can all recommend our own $6K systems and put it to a vote as to which one is the best? :D

We all have different ideas. What's best for one person may not be best for another person. :)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Cliff, Gene, By recommending $4000 in electronics to drive $2000 speakers aren't you going against everything this website stands for? Perhaps the "Be aesthetically pleasing on the eyes and evoke a sense of pride in ownership" got prioritized higher than anything else.
If you have smaller speakers (that may be even perhaps not so expensive) you may get a need for more expensive electronics as many small bookshelf speakers are bears to drive and as such may need more expensive electronics, read: more power and stability in difficult load; so by buying more expensive speakers (that may be more efficient) you may need less expensive amp and by buying less expensive speakers you may be needing more expensive amp.

It's wrong to say that $2000 speakers need a $2000 amp, perhaps they work best wih a $6000 Hegel amp, or perhaps you can get a much cheaper Nad amp and get a good balance in your system, it's all about balancing components :D

I believe there are no general rules, other than what works best for you, is good :p
I already extended the $6k budget with this post :p

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
...posts like this with recommendations and direct link to th AH shop can easily bring questions to the AH independency, at least it's what I think.
I thought something similar. I don't care if they're independent or not, but directing folks there from the recommended system article certainly creates a link between the two. IMO, it's all irrelevant anyway because the vast majority of people who visit AH and the AH Store are likely going to assume that they are run by the same people. I know that there are some posts on the matter, but most people have never read them.

I think Gene has already fielded the accusation of giving favorable reviews to products the store sells
I don't think that's what Harald meant, and it's not what I was thinking. I don't think it has anything to do with favorably reviewing products in order to sell them - it's about maintaining a level of claimed independence. Again, I don't care, and I'm not judging.

... and Gene, should you want to buy me a plain ticket to Fla ... I would be okay with it. :D
I'll buy you a plain ticket anytime you want. :p

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I thought something similar. I don't care if they're independent or not, but directing folks there from the recommended system article certainly creates a link between the two. IMO, it's all irrelevant anyway because the vast majority of people who visit AH and the AH Store are likely going to assume that they are run by the same people. I know that there are some posts on the matter, but most people have never read them.

I don't think that's what Harald meant, and it's not what I was thinking. I don't think it has anything to do with favorably reviewing products in order to sell them - it's about maintaining a level of claimed independence. Again, I don't care, and I'm not judging.

I'll buy you a plain ticket anytime you want. :p
I do have the uttermost respect for Gene and what he and others at AH have done and made AH into, it's why I wrote this post that I think everyone should watch out so they don't lose their credibility that comes with the independent position. Reviews and technical articles are among the best in the industry, that's why I believe postings like this on the website is dengerous as the direct links between recommendations and webshop makes people think AH and AH shop is the same thing, no matter what is written in threads or forums

Credibility is not gone or diminished with this (IMHO), but I think it's something to watch.....

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
RE Recommended Systems & Estore

Guys;

I hear all your arguments and understand your concerns but quite frankly we can't please everyone. The most vocal people against these guides are usually the ones that think they could assemble a better system for less anyways and won't consider the options we lay out. These systems aren't meant for them.

WE have two types of Recommended Systems
1. those written by our staff
2. those written by E-store staff and thus labeled "Audioholics E-store Recommended systems"

#1 is based solely on products we have direct experience with either via reviews or listening. We try to chose mainstream products available online and on our E-store as well. We also select brands that have a well established track record and also have close relations with us. This should be no surprise to anyone.

#2 is based solely on E-store products written by the staff that runs the E-store. They often consult with us on what products we've recently reviewed and recommend.

These articles are done primarily to help address the numerous email and facebook requests we get from readers wanting us to give them recommendations.

The Recommended Systems area is one of our top visited and least updated areas of our site. 65% of our traffic are new readers and they gravitate right there to find system solutions. Sadly most of our articles are outdated and obsolete b/c product changes so frequently. But, I can't just ditch this section b/c it receives a lot of google traffic.

If you're not happy with our systems, then by all means assemble one yourself. We try to offer alternatives and my goal is to have multiple systems at all the major price levels.

If anyone is serious about formatting a well thought out recommended system they are welcome to start their own thread and post it. This would be a great service to our readers as well.

Perhaps it would be good measure to also follow a similar format to how we do it with: product descriptions, images, links to reviews, and a break down of pricing at the end along with links on where to buy.

Putting some good effort in this may even land you a writing opportunity with us so you can formerly post systems on our site and be criticized by numerous forum folks that think they could do better :rolleyes:

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
G

Putting some good effort in this may even land you a writing opportunity with us so you can formerly post systems on our site and be criticized by numerous forum folks that think they could do better :rolleyes:
"Formerly"? Maybe "formally"?:D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Thx Gene

Perhaps an idea is to make it very clear when it's E store recommended systems and AH recommended systems, then these issues would simply not be disclosed at all.

When this is said I really think it's good these efforts with recommended systems, but it's always room for improvement ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I liked the idea of going back in time better...I'm not much for being formal. :D

I wish that I could put a recommended system together, but my experience is pretty limited.
Perhaps after the first one, it would be formerly.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thx Gene

Perhaps an idea is to make it very clear when it's E store recommended systems and AH recommended systems, then these issues would simply not be disclosed at all.

When this is said I really think it's good these efforts with recommended systems, but it's always room for improvement ;)
As I said before the ones written by the E-Store say "Audioholics E-store" such as this one:

Audioholics Store $750 Audio System — Reviews and News from Audioholics

There were 3 other systems but it looks like they retracted them to update obsolete components. Those should go online in a week or two I'd imagine.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hot off the presses, a $2k two-channel system:

$2,000 Recommended Two-Channel Stereo System — Reviews and News from Audioholics

If you want a digital input, the HK 3490 is the ONLY viable solution I've found. It's a great receiver and I reviewed and bench tested it too.

These Boston Acoustics speakers sounded great at CEDIA and they use excellent components and very good build quality. They also have nice aesthetics. I have a pair coming in for review next month too.

J

jandrewyang

Audiophyte
Maggies & Prima Luna

That'd be my vote for an integrated amp and speakers in a dedicated stereo system. I was a straight up digital and solid state man until I had the chance to listen to these.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
The Audioholics world picture is limited to USA and Canada, so you seemingly don't value your international readers
How else can we read this when you pick products that's only available in 110 Volt versions ..... I would expect differently from you guys

I hope I'm wrong by misreading techspecs.... if not.... really disappointing....

jinjuku

jinjuku

There is no hard rule that you have to spend more on speakers then everything else combined.
That goes against decades now of conventional wisdom that I've seen many others espouse in all fairness.

jinjuku

jinjuku

The Audioholics world picture is limited to USA and Canada, so you seemingly don't value your international readers
How else can we read this when you pick products that's only available in 110 Volt versions ..... I would expect differently from you guys

I hope I'm wrong by misreading techspecs.... if not.... really disappointing....
You may need to consider that the manufactures have product released in your market for your power requirements.

E

Errolrsmithjr

Audiophyte

Every product on this list has a 240v model except the powercenter....I dont understand the problem.

havok2022

Enthusiast

Page 20 shows Yamaha offers 7 different versions for various regional power requirements: http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=35567

Marantz makes EU and UK models in other regions with different power supplies:
http://www.marantz.co.uk/DocumentMaster/master/SA8005_EN01_1.pdf

Pro-ject is based in Austria...
Pro-Ject Audio Systems

MartinLogan accepts low voltage DC power in via an AC/DC converter. This should be able to be easily swapped/replaced to support your region.

And I'm sure you can find a line conditioner suitible for your needs in your region. :p

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My $6k two channel system recommendation:
Mackie HR824 mk2 pair: $1400
passive Funk Audio 18.0se pair: $3700
Behringer iNuke 6000 DSP: $400
Oppo BD-103: $500

There is a $6k shipped system on the nose. THX pm3 certified speakers and perfect bass.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Ok, my turn :)

Pair of JBL LSR6332 for $3300

Source: Lenovo IdeaCentre Q190 / Monitor / Behringer FCA610 (press and reviews have been positive): $684

Amp: Crown XLS DriveCore 1500 $370

Sub: Dual SB-2000 $1400

The rest of the cash: leaves you $246 for cabling.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis