$5000 budget build--need advice

J

John316

Audiophyte
So I've been trying to research as much as possible but am feeling a bit overwhelmed. Worse is the fact that the only thing around with a listening area around here is a magnolia and a local guy who sells all paradigm. A little background....

1. The room is 16x20 with couch approx 10ft from speakers
2. System will be used 70/30 movies over music
3. Setup will be 3.1 for now with hopes to add surrouds later but may wait until we move homes
4. Dealer will sell me a very lightly used set of paradigm studio 60s for $1400/ pr

From all my research and sparse listening I've come up with the possible setup:

1. Paradigm studio 60's with cc-590 center
2. Marantz sr 5010 or Yahmaha aventage rx 850
3. Outlaw 5000 amp
4. Hsu VTF-15h mk2 sub

I'm trying to future proof at least part of the system knowing that I can probably use the sub and receiver in a later setup down the road, but I'm struggling with the towers and what receiver to get between the 2 options. My thoughts were I was getting a decent deal on the studios but I'm not 100% sold on them like I was the 100s years ago. And I listened to both the Marantz and Yamaha driving a set of b&w's in best buy but I'm not sure both had been calibrated correctly and know they will certainly sound different in my room.

I'm just trying to see what some thoughts are out there of this setup and/or if you guys would reallocate more money to one part of my possible setup over another, knowing that I don't have the luxury of listening to a ton of other speakers before purchasing. Responses are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
To get biggest bang for your buck - most of budget should go towards speakers (including sub).
It's the speakers and room are almost ONLY factors to overall sound quality (not Reciever)
That said, many folks around here prefer Audyssey multeq room calibration over other options, which is used by Denon & Marantz.

Did you actually heard these speakers? What others speaker your heard and did not like?
In 16x20 room, unless you have extremely hard to drive speakers, you probably don't need amp.

Based on these Stereophile measurements I have hard time buying provided spec for Paradigm studio 60s v5: ±2dB from 45 Hz - 22 kHz on and 30deg off-axis
In your price range I'd strongly consider Ascend's CMT340's for LCR with optional pedestals.

J

John316

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply. Yes I've listened to these speakers and liked them but not to the extent of what I did when I heard the 100's. I've also listened to the 600 series of b&w's and some Martin Logan's at best buy but didn't really care for them or they didn't pass WAF.

I guess im just curious if that is a decent price for the 60s or if I would be blown away by another brand I haven't seen that is within my budget and you would buy without having a chance to listen first.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't know if that is a good price for those speakers. I would say that if you would rather not worry about room effects, get a speaker that has very even off-axis frequency response. Some speaker which do that well which look to be in your budget: KEF LS50, Wharefedale Jade 3, Polk LSi703, and Ascend Acoustics Sierras. What makes these speakers more sensible for you is they are bookshelf speakers; since you intend to get a very good subwoofer, you will not need the bass extension that tower speakers have, so why waste money on something you won't use? Bookshelf speakers will work just as well. The bookshelf speakers I have listed have outstanding measurements and promise to sound good in many different types of rooms owing to their off-axis response. I like Paradigm speakers but Wharefedale Jades and KEF LS50s are just amazing.

J

John316

Audiophyte
So I this is where my noobness definitely comes out....I guess I was always under the impression that towers would outperform bookshelves, but since I will have a dedicated sub what you're suggesting makes sense.

However please remember that this will also be used a lot more for ht than music so I will need a nice complementing center. I do wish there were some nice listening centers around here.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
shadyJ has good point, Towers would definitely be louder, but if loudness by itself it not a target, then is bass extension is adequate (*) - then no reason to get stuck with towers.

Adequate bass extension for easy sub integration should be around 60-70Hz +/-3db . Any higher than and you need to start more careful sub planning....

Another great bookshelves in your range are : http://philharmonicaudio.com/BMR Philharmonitor.html
Highly recommend you give Dennis a call ...

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Highly recommend you give Dennis a call ...
What he said.
You can get outstanding L/C/Rs from Dennis Murphy at Philharmonicaudio.com, plus a big honkin' sub from SVS/Rythmik/Hsu that will make your movies really thump, and a Denon X4000 AVR, all within your budget. And it will blow away anything you've heard at BB.

J

John316

Audiophyte
Is it even fair to compare these that each of you mention to the aperion varus grand's that audioholics seems to like?

As to the phil's, what center channel would I even match them with since there doesn't seem to be one offered on the website?

Last edited:
psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Is it even fair to compare these that each of you mention to the aperion varus grand's that audioholics seems to like?

As to the phil's, what center channel would I even match them with since there doesn't seem to be one offered on the website?
Shady made some good points. The Jades are a sealed box, so if you have placement issues, these would be a very good choice because they can go up against a wall, or in a cubby/shelf without creating bass bloom since there are no ports.

I also agree with BSA's recommendation of the Ascend Acoustics 340. With the stands they give the impression of a tower speaker with all the benefits of a bookshelf. Especially if you're looking for more of a HT speaker.

There's no center available for the BMR.
For a center with the Jades, you could use this; http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15500-wharfedale-diamond-10cs-center-channel-speaker-ea.aspx

Or, a third Jade.

CDogg

CDogg

Junior Audioholic
Another recommendation for Ascend Acoustics CMT-340SE speakers with stands. My living room is 11ft wide x 14ft long. The CMT-340SE are very musical and the soundstage is very open and wide. These could work in any size room, and I don't think you would need a sub.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Not sure what you mean "fair". I have 4 of the Aperion Verus Grand Towers, and their Grand Center. They were my primary speakers for a couple years, and I liked them. When I decided to upgrade, I went with the Philharmonic 3s for L/R, and moved the Aperions to surround duty. I can tell you the difference is Night & Day! Yep, the Phils cost more, but boy are they worth it!!!

Send an email to Dennis at Philharmonic. He does have Centers. After being blown away by the improvement of the Phil3s over the Grand Towers, I decided to also upgrade the Center. I talked to Dennis and he made me one to match the Phil3s. The difference from the Grand Center is a bit more subtle than the Phil3s, but worth it in my opinion.

Bottom line, understanding that the speakers make head & shoulders more difference than your receiver, and if they're in your budget, I do not think you can go wrong w/ Dennis. Talk to him. He's a good guy, not a salesman, and at the very least will further your education.

J

John316

Audiophyte
@herbu--I just meant that it might be a little unrealistic to compare the grand versus tower speakers to these bookshelves others had recommended.

I will definitely give Dennis a call as I'm just trying to learn everything I can about all my options.

Quick question...unless I'm looking at it incorrectly it looks like the Philharmonitors are the same price as the Sierra 2's. If that is the case, why not go that direction? What do Phil's do differently.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
it looks like the Philharmonitors are the same price as the Sierra 2's. If that is the case, why not go that direction? What do Phil's do differently.
That, my friend, is a perfect opening question for Dennis. ;)

J

John316

Audiophyte
I don't see a contact number for Dennis. Could someone pm me that? Thanks

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis