funked up

funked up

Audioholic
Ok, so I'm intrested in building a subwoofer. MAX budget of $500. Will be used for 90% HT. No size limitations.
I'm not conserned about looks. It can be the biggest ugliest looken thing, but as long as it sounds good and puts out some monster bass I'll be happy.

Personally I'm not to handy with this kind of stuff, but my dad has all the tools and my brother has built subwoofers before and said that he will help me out.

So, i'm looking for suggestions? or would I be better of saving a bit more money and buying a PB12-NSD?

annunaki

annunaki

Behringer EP2500 ($250-$275 from zzounds)

Infinity Kappa Perfect VQ 12" ($150+) online from various vendors.

Materials ($65.00)

Use Avaserfi's build plans in the DIY section. This will easily equal if not well exceed the performance of the SVS product.

Other woofer options would be the JL Audio 10W7, 12W7, 12W6v2, or 13w6v2(if the budget allows).

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Annunaki's suggestion is a good one. The design will likely have similar performance to the SVS PB-Ultra 13 with the kappa having more output around tuning.

As far as the other driver suggestions go the W6 options will be as linear as the Kappa VQ, but not as versatile due to non-adjustable motor. The W7 units will have the same linearity, but higher power handling and excursion allowing for more output. Of course, the JL offerings are all significantly more expensive than the Kappa.

Last edited:
P

pjoseph

Full Audioholic
they are listed for $350 cant seem to find a New one for $250

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe we should be asking what size room he has....

That might be helpful for us to possibly suggest the right size driver.

annunaki

annunaki

they are listed for $350 cant seem to find a New one for $250
You will need to search for a lower price (hint Amazon), then ask them to match or beat the price. Often they will beat the price & include free shipping.

annunaki

annunaki

I used Zzounds with an Amazon price match and did $256.00 shipped.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I've never heard a Kappa personally, but looking at the threads you guys have done, they sound pretty awesome.

If the OP doesn't want to go the outboard amp route, I would enthusiastically recommend one of the kits at Rythmik.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Most of those plate amps don't even come close to their rated specs from what I have seen in 3rd party measurements at various places.

The EP2500 is basically upgrade proof. With 2000 clean watts into 4 Ohms bridged it can drive virtually any sub driver(even a JL W7), no problem, in sealed with LF boost or a vented enclosure alike.

-Chris

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis