A

andres

Audioholic Intern
When should you use which? Is it the size of the room? The budget for speakers? Which is it? I'm having my room set up in the next 2 weeks and my mind is going crazy. Thanks!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I would take both budget and room size into account. In a medium to small room I see no reason to have 7.1 or 6.1. Regular 5.1 has suited me fine, and I find it just about as involving as 7.1. Running a 7.1 system is more complicated, and of course more costly. In the end it is really just up to you what you want to do.:)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
When should you use which? Is it the size of the room? The budget for speakers? Which is it? I'm having my room set up in the next 2 weeks and my mind is going crazy. Thanks!
As seth said. Give us some room dimensions, distance from the TV and back wall.

A

andres

Audioholic Intern
Room is 21 x 14

Distance from screen 16'

Back wall 21'

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
With that deep of a room, I would definitely consider going 7.1, IF you already have a library (or plan on getting one) of quality es/ex dvds.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
You get more value from a 7.1 system as the distance from your main listening position to the rear wall increases. In other words, if you're sitting on a couch that's backed up against the rear wall, the extra speakers won't do too much good. If you can place them 4 or more feet behind your seat, you'll probably notice the difference.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Room is 21 x 14

Distance from screen 16'

Back wall 21'

What budget for speakers ONLY. Your going to need a decent size subwoofer to fill that volume. Have you thought of purchasing your mains first, surrounds later, and sub last to maximize sound quality? Or do you want all the speakers at once?

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
IF you already have a library (or plan on getting one) of quality es/ex dvds.
Absolutely, there is little since in setting up a system with more channels than you have content to fill.

Mind you there isn't much content in 6.1 when compared to how much is available in 5.1, and what's available in 7.1 can literally be counted on one hand.

Now, I'm not against anything more than 5.1, on the contrary, I have a 6.1 system and a number of 6.1 DVDs, and it is cool. But honestly, given the choice between a four and a half star 5.1 system and a four star 6.1 system, I'd rather have the slightly higher quality 5.1 system.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Room is 21 x 14

Distance from screen 16'

Back wall 21'
Yes, I bet your mind is going nuts. Too little time to plan properly:eek:
You know the saying: you want it bad, you will get it bad.:D

That is a pretty long distance to watch video or listen to music. How large is the screen, if you are into movies?

That distance also affects speaker's capability and power needs for the speakers. It will need to play louder for a given level at the listening position compared to someone at 12ft, or less.

Speakers are what you hear, not the components, where most or a good bit of the budget needs to go.

If, all that distance is usable for movie and music, probably the 7.1 route is the way to go, at least in the planning and pre-wiring for speakers.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I realize there is dedicated 6.1 only content as well... Doesn't 6.1 just take the 7.1 content and combine both R&L rears of 7.1?
I have been running 6.1 for a while, and it's occasional when I get the benefit of that extra channel effects... but I love it... its incredibly surprising sometimes.. The rear channel is great, even if its in a 6.1 arrangement...

Then again mine is sider firing directly out of a corner bouncing off both sides of that corner and blasting out to the LP.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I realize there is dedicated 6.1 only content as well... Doesn't 6.1 just take the 7.1 content and combine both R&L rears of 7.1?
I have been running 6.1 for a while, and it's occasional when I get the benefit of that extra channel effects... but I love it... its incredibly surprising sometimes.. The rear channel is great, even if its in a 6.1 arrangement...

Then again mine is sider firing directly out of a corner bouncing off both sides of that corner and blasting out to the LP.
I believe the receiver will take that 6th ch and decorrelate it to have it in 2 speakers, a little phase shift perhaps.

S

Sirskygod

Audiophyte
Great information - I have also been looking at 7.1 for a new HT...

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
With that deep of a room, I would definitely consider going 7.1, IF you already have a library (or plan on getting one) of quality es/ex dvds.
What movies he has, or will have that contain es/ex discs is irrelavent if he uses a 7.1 receiver that has a PLIIx decoder, since that will do a very good job of creating a stereo surround back from any 2 or 5 channel source. I say if he has room for the speakers, there is no good reason not to go 7.1 and create that large enveloping surround field. Just using PLIIx on my reguar 5.1 dvds, I hear so much sound from the surround back speakers, sometimes more sound from those than I get from the side surrounds.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
What movies he has, or will have that contain es/ex discs is irrelavent if he uses a 7.1 receiver that has a PLIIx decoder, since that will do a very good job of creating a stereo surround back from any 2 or 5 channel source. I say if he has room for the speakers, there is no good reason not to go 7.1 and create that large enveloping surround field. Just using PLIIx on my reguar 5.1 dvds, I hear so much sound from the surround back speakers, sometimes more sound from those than I get from the side surrounds.
Okay. I'm old school...I have only PLII.

So, if he has a quality PLIIx decoding receiver, it matters not. Go for the 6.1/7.1!

If he doesn't have PLIIx (like me), then one must rely on quality es/ex recordings...until you upgrade to PLIIx! ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you are even asking, then you might as well get 7.1 and be done with it.
It is never about need because 5.1 is more than good enough. But just get 7.1 and get it over with.:D

A

Antus

Audioholic Intern
for music, front left, right are more important. for movie, sub is more important. the surround are less important. as long as surround has "sound" it all sounds good i think.

i have listened to an setup with a pair of B&W 800, HTM3D, and pair of 803S (a 5.1 setup) in a fair large theater room (about 20X15) and it sounds very very good. there were absoute no lack of "surround" or any kind in my opinion.

actually, that particular experience changed my mind completed about home theater and THX setup. the ideal THX recommend all smaller and identical speakers plus a sub. however, i found that with 2 full range speakers at front really benifit if you can afford it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis