5.1 system to 7.1 question

P

Pupp

Audioholic Intern
I'm getting a 5.1 home theater installed. (Paradigm MilleniumOne + Anthem MRX 500 + Ultra cube 10 inch) The Anthem MRX is at 7.1 A/V reciever. I was wondering if its possible to just get a MilleniumOne 2.0 speakers and upgrade the home theater to 7.1 in the future.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Sure. There is one speaker per amplifier. You can have as many or as few as you want and change later. I run a 5.1 system from a 7.1 receiver.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
To add to the above, the recommended locations for the rear speakers is different between a 5.1 and 7.1 setup (see the images below and the Audioholics article linked here). So, if you follow the standard setup guidelines, you'd slightly relocate your surround speakers when you upgrade. So, just something to consider as you plan the lengths of speaker wires in your install. That said, I never ran the standard setup for my 5.1 and always had my rear speakers placed where the 7.1 "surround back" speakers are, so when I added another two speakers, I just added them off to the sides.

Also, if you're running speaker wire to wall plates, I suggest that you go ahead and accommodate adding two more speakers right now. You may also want to run some extra wires for future upgrades (9.1, anyone? :)), such as speaker wire or a line or two for a sub.

5.1 Layout

7.1 Layout

P

Pupp

Audioholic Intern
Thanks. I'm sure the installer would be more than happy to help me decide the best positions of the speakers if I choose in the future to get an additional 2 speakers in the future.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I mounted my 5.1 system in the place where you would mount the 7.1s, I tried them both but liked them firing towards each other instead of at the angle, this may be because I have a wall behind my couch though? Im sure you can find a happy medium to have your surrounds mounted to work well in either configuration...

P

Pupp

Audioholic Intern
I decided to just go for a 5.1 system, and save my $$ for speakers for my bedroom. I looked at some titles, like Avatar, and more recent titles like "Oz the Great and Powerful", and both of those are 5.1. In fact, the only movie I do have in 7.1 is an older movie updated for blu ray, and that's Scarface with Al Pacino. Although as time goes on, more and more titles will have 7.1, it hasn't really taken off like the industry was hoping for.

-What industry? Probably the electronic manufacturers who to whom it most likely costs little to nothing to include that feature in A/V receivers and blu ray players. Otherwise the people converting movies to dvd and blu ray are mostly skipping that ability even in the newer releases.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis