5.1 speaker up grade (small or large)????

I

Ironhorse

Audiophyte
Hello everyone NewB here :) First time poster :eek:
I just recently upgraded my T.V.(37" Sharp Aquos 1080) & Reciver (Denon 988)
Now I'm looking to upgrade my speakers. I currently have Polk Audio RM-2300 I bought these about 6-7 years ago as a box set complete with sub.

My room size is 17x12 with 8' celings. My system is mainly used for TV/movies and Gameing(Wii) maybe 10-15% music

I think the speakers I have now sound OK but I'm looking to upgrade to something better.

The only speakers I've actually heard so far is another set of Polks (CS10 center, Tsi-100 b/s Tsi-300 towers) I liked the sound, great for music, but I think they might be a bit much for my room size. Although if I went with this set-up I plan on moveing them to the basement within a year(hopefuly it will finished by then lol)
Did I mention I can get this set-up with a 10" sub for $600 out the door. (seems like a good deal)

I've looked into some of the smaller systems kinda like what I have in size
Energy Take 5 and Take 5.2 I just haven't heard any of them. Actually I'm not very fimilar with to many speaker Co.

Looking for some suggestions on some of the smaller systems in the $600-$800 range that would be a upgrade to what I currently have.

Thanks for reading and any/all suggestions welcome. Thanks. Eric

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Polk subs are not very good IMO. So I don't suggest that as a selling point.

There are numerous options in your price range. Each has benefits and negatives. That's the nature of mid fi systems.
However the systems don't suck and will more than satisfy most people. And if you look hard enough you can get that audiophile quality even from cheap speakers.

Before you buy anything I suggest you audition as many speakers as you can. If you don't have that option(no good stores in your area) Then you can look at ID companies.

I suggest you get a list of great speaker brands first and then do a good thorough check of craigslist for deals. Yeah I know you have 800, but what if you can find the same speaker for 200 local. People often sale speakers well below value on CL.

Second check ebay and or accessories4less, both are refurb places for manufacturers and such. After you have made those rounds

Take a look at
SVS,
Paradigm,
Aperion,
KEF,
Infinity Beta,
BW
EMP
TSC
Energy
Def Tech.

See what you like. If you can't audition i suggest an SVS bookshelf set if you can afford it. A KEF iQ set is another option.

An Infinity Beta set is yet another option.(very cheap refurb these days via ebay)

Generally large speakers will outperform small speakers, but not always. KEF for is an exception. Because they build tweeters inside of the woofer very well. So they generally are lighter and smaller than there equal other brand cousins.

I think you should hold off on a sub until more funds come in. A good sub will run around 500ish. Though a Dayton can do a good job.

I

Ironhorse

Audiophyte
Premier Acoustic

Hello lsiberian Thanks for the advise. I've been checke'n Craigslit for the past few weeks, also been on ebay alot.

I found some speakers today on ebay called "Premier Acoustic"
Very intrested in either the monitor 4.0 or the 4.2 system

The size of these set-up's seem to be excatly what I'm looking for, not to mention the price. I'm just woundering how they sound.

Anyone useing Premier Acoustic? Thanks Eric

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Hello lsiberian Thanks for the advise. I've been checke'n Craigslit for the past few weeks, also been on ebay alot.

I found some speakers today on ebay called "Premier Acoustic"
Very intrested in either the monitor 4.0 or the 4.2 system

The size of these set-up's seem to be excatly what I'm looking for, not to mention the price. I'm just woundering how they sound.

Anyone useing Premier Acoustic? Thanks Eric
Thats sounds like a scam brand. Only buy stuff from companies you know. Also it's good if they are in the wealthier area of town. Usually that's a good sign.

Don't buy that. 4.0 or 4.2? That's not the standard system these days.

If you lied about your budget and can't really afford the 800(sometimes we do that) Then I really suggest you look at the Infinity Beta series via Ebay.

If you truly have 800. I suggest you take a hard look at the EMP set on this site or an SVS set. A Primus set is also a very popular option and the store here sells it. they are the Beta's cheaper smaller cousin, but still pretty decent.

Craigslist is kind of a luck thing. Make sure the person you buy it from seems honest and a standard either ex-wife or audiophile upgrading. CL is bet for exercise equipment lol.

I

Ironhorse

Audiophyte
Hey lsiberian Thanks for the heads up on the Premier Acoustic brand. I've done some searching and couldn't find any info on them. I do have my budget of But Before I jump into anything I want to do more reasearch.

I really want to hear the KEF 3005SE and the Paradigm Cinema series. I'm still looking into the SVS and Definitive Technology. I'm also considering the Polk Audio VM10 theres refurbs all over Ebay.

Thanks again lsiberian you've been very helpful. Eric

M

murl

Full Audioholic
Not trying to advertise here, but I may be listing a sub next week in the classifieds, all depends on if I get the mains I want with built in subs. Not saying that I am but it would be a very budget cost Velodyne CHT-10, if it happens to show up in classifieds.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Hey lsiberian Thanks for the heads up on the Premier Acoustic brand. I've done some searching and couldn't find any info on them. I do have my budget of But Before I jump into anything I want to do more reasearch.

I really want to hear the KEF 3005SE and the Paradigm Cinema series. I'm still looking into the SVS and Definitive Technology. I'm also considering the Polk Audio VM10 theres refurbs all over Ebay.

Thanks again lsiberian you've been very helpful. Eric
I think the 3005's are probably the best small speakers I've ever heard. I own the 2000s and they are amazing little speakers.

That Sub can be boomy if not placed well though. Thankfully it looks nice so placing it is easy. right now they are selling the series at Accessories4less for around 1000. But if you can find a KEF dealer in your area. www.kef.com

Then go see if you can get an audition.

If you want to go refurb look at Infinity Betas on ebay. Very good speakers for the price.

If you can't audition anything then go based off Price+Aesthetics+reviews.

R-Carpenter

R-Carpenter

Audioholic
Thats sounds like a scam brand. Only buy stuff from companies you know. Also it's good if they are in the wealthier area of town. Usually that's a good sign.

Don't buy that. 4.0 or 4.2? That's not the standard system these days.

If you lied about your budget and can't really afford the 800(sometimes we do that) Then I really suggest you look at the Infinity Beta series via Ebay.

If you truly have 800. I suggest you take a hard look at the EMP set on this site or an SVS set. A Primus set is also a very popular option and the store here sells it. they are the Beta's cheaper smaller cousin, but still pretty decent.

Craigslist is kind of a luck thing. Make sure the person you buy it from seems honest and a standard either ex-wife or audiophile upgrading. CL is bet for exercise equipment lol.
May be it's not a scam brand. It's probably just another brand that's “free tooled” in China, painted and re branded here in US. I wouldn't bother.
Look in to used market. ProAc, Sonus, Magneplanar.

olddog

olddog

Audioholic
Take from an Old dog. Spend what you can on your mains and up-grade a piece at a time from there. A little like buying fine furniture. If your budget won't allow everything at one time just take it a step at a time.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Your room is pretty close to the same size as mine. If you are set up the long way, you probably have more flexibility than I do.

You can probably go with two-way or three-way floor standing speakers for your mains if you want. However, you may want to consider 2-way monitors. You can get more quality for your money and you're probably going to offload the bass to a sub anyway. You don't need anything big to fill your room.

On the other hand, if you want floor standing speakers, go for it. I'm building a DIY set because I've only ever had monitor sized speakers. Once I get this out of my system, I'll probably build some active 2-way monitors. :)

Seriously, I recommend the monitor plus sub combination. You get the best potential sound quality for your dollar. In your room, you'll still be able to crank it to ear bleeding levels if you want.

Jim

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Take from an Old dog. Spend what you can on your mains and up-grade a piece at a time from there. A little like buying fine furniture. If your budget won't allow everything at one time just take it a step at a time.
While this is recommended in many situations he is wanting to watch movies and play games not listen to music as much. I think he would be better off building a full system and getting surround sound than just buying a stereo pair. Besides good home theater speakers are plentiful in his budget range.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
May be it's not a scam brand. It's probably just another brand that's “free tooled” in China, painted and re branded here in US. I wouldn't bother.
Look in to used market. ProAc, Sonus, Magneplanar.
I wouldn't risk it. There are plenty of good well known brands to chose from.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis