Arnold Layne

Arnold Layne

Enthusiast
Are there any receivers out there with 3 headphone jacks so I can listen to 5.1 really loud without waking up my wife?

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
5.1 headphone sets are not very good sound quality at all. I've tried a few of them when people told me that "these will change your opinion". And trust me, I tried to like them...actually I wanted to like them...but my $40 computer headset blew them out of the water.

Think of the as the Bose cubes of the headphone world. Lots of "wow" fator, but little beef under the bun, if you get my drift. There'a a whole slew of reasons, from teh smallish drivers used, causing bad frequency response...down to the way the drivers are spaced does not allow for a surround effect anywhere as good as any $250 home theater in a box.

If you get a nice pair of standard phones, you'll find that the sound quality will make the movies far more enjoyable.

If you insist on 5.1 headphones, Zalman makes a pair as well as a headphone amp designed for them.....they were designed to either run off a 5.1 computer soundcard or use a special amp...that's the only ways to run them.

S.R. Johnson

S.R. Johnson

Junior Audioholic
Arnold Layne said:
Are there any receivers out there with 3 headphone jacks so I can listen to 5.1 really loud without waking up my wife?
Actually there is quite of few receivers out there that will let you do headphone surround sound. I know for a fact that Yamaha has a feature call Silent Cinema. What that does is it will produce 5.1 surround from Dolby Digital and DTS sources. Also it will let you use its DSP modes like concert hall and 70mm Theater just to name a few. When I tried it, it did have the channel separation, just like having a real 5.1 setup. This feature is on all of the new yamaha receivers. Denon has Dolby Headphone. But that is only on the AVR-5803. Marantz has TruSurround from Circle Surround. I have never tried it before. Hope this helps. Oh one more thing, the Silent Cinema on the Yamaha, you can use an ordinary headphone set.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Its a real job to get that sub into the headphones. Gives me a headache :eek: .
I would stay away from the real loud part. Been there,done that. 24/7 ringing in the ears is no fun.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis