Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I'm wondering if in the future it would be worth the extra money to add a second pair of heights to my setup. Considering a 9 channel AVR would cost at least a grand, and a second pair of speakers at least $200, would it make a large enough difference? I spent about $350 for an open box 7.2 Onkyo TX NR656, so we're talking an almost 3X price increase for the extra two channels. My room and seating arrangements could easily accommodate a 9.1.6 setup if such a receiver existed and it we're affordable, considering there is 10 feet from the couch to the back wall and 10 feet from the front to the couch, and plenty of space to place all the speakers, so I'm not worried about it being overkill, just wondering if the extra expense would be worth it or if we're hitting diminishing returns.

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Just any fyi, there are processors available that can do 9.1.6 but it will cost you. The Emotiva RMC1 coming out is a 16 channel unit, not sure of the final cost yet. As for most homes 5.x.2 or 4 would seem to be the most. Even with a dedicated theater room 7.x.4 would probably do it. Unless your born in the lucky sperm club it's expensive to do right.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm wondering if in the future it would be worth the extra money to add a second pair of heights to my setup. Considering a 9 channel AVR would cost at least a grand, and a second pair of speakers at least $200, would it make a large enough difference? I spent about $350 for an open box 7.2 Onkyo TX NR656, so we're talking an almost 3X price increase for the extra two channels. My room and seating arrangements could easily accommodate a 9.1.6 setup if such a receiver existed and it we're affordable, considering there is 10 feet from the couch to the back wall and 10 feet from the front to the couch, and plenty of space to place all the speakers, so I'm not worried about it being overkill, just wondering if the extra expense would be worth it or if we're hitting diminishing returns.

I'm facing a similar situation....5.2.2 is already in, I bought two more in ceiling speakers that I was going to use in the master bedrm, but I've decided to go 5.2.4...I don't have as much room as you do behind the main seating, but enough separation I think from the front heights to give it a go...I already have the processing/amp for these channels so it was kind of curing a curiosity factor. In these 90+ deg temps, I just haven't gotten up in the attic yet to install.

You seem to have the same curiosity itch. In your case, it's a little larger investment due to the AVR. My advice...go ahead and scratch it, but wait it out on the AVR. You will eventually find a close out deal or a factory/dealer certified 9 ch Atmos AVR for under a grand.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Just any fyi, there are processors available that can do 9.1.6 but it will cost you. The Emotiva RMC1 coming out is a 16 channel unit, not sure of the final cost yet. As for most homes 5.x.2 or 4 would seem to be the most. Even with a dedicated theater room 7.x.4 would probably do it. Unless your born in the lucky sperm club it's expensive to do right.
I'd be surprised if it were less than 2k, probably more, then factor external amplification, even with inexpensive speakers and pro audio amps which are a much better deal I'd be looking at about 4k, which is completely out of my budget.

Wonder why 7.2 avrs don't include processing for 9 or 11 channels, considering many have less than stellar multichannel bench results past 7ch of amplification. There's only so much you can cram into one chassis.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
There are AVRs that have the processing thru preouts for additional channels.

I'd be surprised if it were less than 2k, probably more, then factor external amplification, even with inexpensive speakers and pro audio amps which are a much better deal I'd be looking at about 4k, which is completely out of my budget.

Wonder why 7.2 avrs don't include processing for 9 or 11 channels, considering many have less than stellar multichannel bench results past 7ch of amplification. There's only so much you can cram into one chassis.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Look at Denon. With a few external amp(s) you can even achieve 13.4 or 7.4.4 or ... Save your bucks. Go big.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis