42" Plasma + Home Entertainment Center?

K

kenchi

Audiophyte
Just wanted to see if there was any input/opinions on this:

I am getting ready to purchase a 42" Plasma and decided NOT to mount it on the wall... but my wife insists on getting one of those huge wooden "Entertainment Center" stands (so it encases all around the screen with wooden cabinets/bookshelves)...instead of a nice simple glass/metal stand.

I think this would be fine for a standard CRT or TV that has some "depth" to it, and would defeat the purpose of buying a "slim" plasma tv.... wouldn't it?

SCompRacer

SCompRacer

Enthusiast
Man who make war all day get no peace at night... :D

I am in a similar situation. Just finished a family room with surround sound speakers built into the walls/ceiling. I had plans of sticking a big screen on or against the wall too.

But we have a beautiful Oak entertainment center with an add on top. It still looks nice, has loads of storage space, but I can only fit a 36" LCD in it. You see, the problem is the add on top. It has a lighted display case where the wife keeps some fine crystal. It sparkles when she turns the display light on.

I been married 30 years, and just knew I had to give her this one. At least I got most of what I wanted. ;)

Last edited:
K

kenchi

Audiophyte
yes... must keep wife happy in order to buy the toys... ;)
but still want to get ppl's options on this...

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
kenchi said:
Just wanted to see if there was any input/opinions on this:

I am getting ready to purchase a 42" Plasma and decided NOT to mount it on the wall... but my wife insists on getting one of those huge wooden "Entertainment Center" stands (so it encases all around the screen with wooden cabinets/bookshelves)...instead of a nice simple glass/metal stand.

I think this would be fine for a standard CRT or TV that has some "depth" to it, and would defeat the purpose of buying a "slim" plasma tv.... wouldn't it?
Yes it would, but that's between you and your Mrs.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This is a much more common practice than I can actually stomach... ;)

If you are doing a custom built in, then CRT is an excellent way to go as you will get the maximum image size for your dollar and one of the most incredible images. PLUS, you have the depth to handle the full size CRT. Then, you have a false front built for the CRT that makes it look like a plasma. Very cool.

The alternative - if you already have the plasma or setup done - you can get a piece of wood, the same color as your entertainment center, and mount it where the plasma will go, about 5 inches back from the front of the built in. That way, the plasma is flush with the front of the cabinetry and is not sitting back in a little pocket.

One of the coolest things I saw was a built-in that included speakers and a 50" plasma. The plasma had a door that was counter-weighted and slid up and down in front of the screen. It did not have a motor in it, but was designed so that a motor could be added later. Very trick. The cabinets that held the speakers included doors that slid back into the cabinet. Yes, you've seen those before, but these doors were faced with speaker grills, so you could keep them closed, and enjoy the music... But, when the system was off, you could slide those doors back into the built-in, and another set of doors came out the opposite direction, and were the color of the rest of the built-in. Once again - very trick.

Anyway, you do have a lot of options available to you and I would say the two most important things are:

1. Versatility! Make sure you can switch out for a larger, or different display later on. If you 'frame' the plasma, make sure you can get a new frame in 5 or 7 years if you get a 43" LCD or something like that. Make sure a slightly larger - up to say 50" display will fit the space.

2. Ventilation! Don't burn your plasma, it needs to breathe. Air flow through ventilation holes may do the job, you may need a fan added on. Especially if your source equipment is going in there as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis