$400-700 AVR debate: Denon vs. Yamaha vs. Onkyo

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
I'm building a house that will have a dedicated media room (18 x 14) which will primarily be used for home theater and gaming with the occasional audio-only experience. I'm not made of money, so looking for an AVR in the $400-700 range that must do the following:

- 3 component inputs (xbox, DVD, set-top-box)
- conversion from composite and s-video to component (for projector)

So far in this range I've narrowed the field to the Denon 2805 and 3805, the Yamaha 2500, and the Onkyo 702. Seems like Onkyo is the best bang for the buck, but everyone here seems to love the Denons and Yamahas.

Recommendations with rationale? I'd love to hear WHY you prefer one over the other. Any reason to choose the 3805 over the 2805?

Speaker recommendations welcome as well.

I've got a few months till the house is done, so I can wait for deals.

Thanks to all in advance! :)

A

Azz123

Junior Audioholic
Mainly HT and Games? I'd have a VERY close look at the RX-V2500.
Why?
You need to compare...
Go to a shop - Same speakers, take your own DVD(s) and sit down for 1/2 an hour+ and flick between the receivers.

Me personally I felt the Yamaha left the Onkyo for dead with HT. Audio had much greater depth and feeling of immersion was much greater..

End of the day - and this wont be the 1st time you hear it - its up to your ears my friend.....

Good luck.

A

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
If you go the Yamaha route, wait for the new 2600 to come out. Nothing beats new technology. IMO, the Yamaha and Denon mid to high end receivers blow away Onkyo in sound, high current, and owner satisfaction. Also consider HK and Marantz. The Denon 3805 may be out of your price range, but it's sister company, Marantz, puts out a very similar SR8400 that can be had for a song and a dance on ebay and ubid.com. Lots of guys here are jumping on that unit.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Buckeyefan 1 said:
If you go the Yamaha route, wait for the new 2600 to come out.
then jump on the deeply discounted 2500 ! :D

For a single room system, the Denon and Yamaha will be dead even (in my opinion). Denon is really set up better to do multi-room and will probably sound a little better on music, but Yamaha has a definite advantage in HT.

The Onkyo's had some serious initial quality control problems, but no one has been complaining lately. It may be a good investment, but it would be worth your time to sink some additional research into that.

The main advantages of the 3805 over the 2805 are better multi-room and the Denon Link system. The Denon Link, I hate to say, has yet to live up to its promise due to a number of licensing and format issues. It is a great idea, but too many things were beyond Denon's control to make it everything it could have been. :(

A

ArxFatalis

Enthusiast
Hi, I recently bought the new marantz SR 4500 for $400. Very , very nice receiver for the price... It even has preouts in case you want more power in the future but the standard 80 watts is powerfull enough. It sounded much " warmer" than the lower yamaha line or onkyo and not so "artificial"( comparison at the audio store) . It also upconverts to S- video - component.

The only thing that I dislike is the looks. Too plain and dull for my taste , very spartan looking unit ,but hey the sound is what counts ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis