lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't imagine using just old 2ch gear myself. Never found a great difference between my old 2ch gear (separates) and avrs if power output capabilities were similar, and perhaps an advantage to the separates if pushed. Then again you still like cassettes :) (meant in the best way possible, just not something I'd do again)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Can't imagine using just old 2ch gear myself. Never found a great difference between my old 2ch gear (separates) and avrs if power output capabilities were similar, and perhaps an advantage to the separates if pushed. Then again you still like cassettes :) (meant in the best way possible, just not something I'd do again)
:mad: For not answering the question

:) As for the rest of your post, I never took it as an attempt to be mean or condescending. It's all good brother.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
:mad: For not answering the question

:) As for the rest of your post, I never took it as an attempt to be mean or condescending. It's all good brother.
As to option 1 or 2, that wasn't clear as to what's going on (photos don't always say it all)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Aesthetically, which looks more pleasing? I'll go back and reword the post.
Saw option 1 specified but not 2. You don't seem to have a lot of real estate to choose from otoh. I do like the look of the new rack.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Saw option 1 specified but not 2. You don't seem to have a lot of real estate to choose from otoh. I do like the look of the new rack.
Option 2 are the 3rd and 4th pictures in the post.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Option 2 are the 3rd and 4th pictures in the post.
Okay, now I see it (maybe I didn't let it load sufficiently). So similar I couldn't choose unless you found one has an aesthetic/ergonomic advantage.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, now I see it (maybe I didn't let it load sufficiently). So similar I couldn't choose unless you found one has an aesthetic/ergonomic advantage.
I want to move the audio rack next to the HT rack but that would mean moving the sofa in front of the furnace room door to keep it centered with the display. I would also have to move my ATMOS speakers. Room is very tight as you can see.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I want to move the audio rack next to the HT rack but that would mean moving the sofa in front of the furnace room door to keep it centered with the display. I would also have to move my ATMOS speakers. Room is very tight as you can see.
For me it's mostly how tight everything is. Just depends how much you want to keep/use legacy gear like that imo.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm thinking of removing the middle speaker and dropping the left and right surrounds more to ear level. I do not have any stands that are 40" tall (height needed just to clear the back of the couch). Should I buy stands or do I just lower the wall brackets. The right speaker is a little close to the entry way so I may move it away from that by a few inches. The reason for having them up that high in the first place was for safety reasons and not to bump into them. I live alone now so safety is no longer a concern within reason *LOL* What are your thoughts?

View attachment 58986
Lower them.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Option 2's lopsided-ness with the subs sets off my latent OCD for it not being as symetrical. Other than that, either looks alright really.

Nice set up you have down there.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Option 2's lopsided-ness
Option 2's slope looks nicer to me than the stepped hole created by having the short sub in between the taller gear. That's me. I wonder if that change would at all be noticeable. Night and day perhaps? :D

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Visually I like option 2 better, assuming the subwoofer is ok in either location.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I moved things around in the room again and also wired up the amp selector switch so that both the power amp and the AVR can drive the towers.

Main54.jpg
Main55.jpg
Main56.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Here are the room curves all of which use 1/12 smoothing.

The individual subs responses plus the combination of both before using REW to produce the Harmon curve.

PreEQ Sub Responses.jpg

The blue trace below is the same trace as the green trace in the previous graph, before EQ. The green trace below is the EQ'd bass response.
Pre-Post EQ Sub1+Sub2  Responses.jpg

Below is the full frequency sweep in room response for the movie configuration. The red trace is the AVR with PEQ set to FLAT . The blue trace has PEQ turned off.
Movie Config Flat Vs Throug.jpg

I don't use the AVR's PEQ function with music. I still use the AVR's bass management in the brown trace where both sub and the towers get bass. The green trace is when the AVR is set to Pure Direct which turns off the bass management and its only the towers producing the full frequency sweep.
Music Config XtraBass Vs Pure Direct.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I moved sh?t around again as I wanted to increasethe distance between the mains. I got an additional 10" between them and additional 6" away from the wall behind them. I've also got my separates stack up and running. Here are some pics.

IMG_0687.jpg
IMG_0688.jpg
IMG_0689.jpg
IMG_0690.jpg
IMG_0691.jpg
IMG_0693.jpg
IMG_0694.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis