36" or taller Steel speakers stands

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Ok Ive looked all over the net... and found tons of really beautiful speaker stands, like this
but I can't seem to find anything in the 36" height or taller like that...
I need to overcome a couch height of 36"
Need to support a Paradigm Studio 20 22lbs
Anyone know of some good tall contemporary looking stuff I haven't found...

Ive spend days on google... Im just a bit frustrated on the height issue...
Just short of making my own.. and that wouldn't be a problem, just wanted to exhaust all possibilities...
thanks so much

Warp

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
If it's steel you want, that's easy. Billy Bags. They will build anything you want to your spec. I have their pieces all over my audio and HT rooms and would do my entire house in Billy Bags but for my wife's WAF.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Ok Im thinkin more of something a normal human can afford... hehhehehehe

Their stuff is beautiful, Im sure I can't afford their custom made stuff...

If I had the time, I would weld something myself, probably out of stainless...

thanks though... Still lookin...

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Oooohh I like those... those are svelte, and the price is nice as well, thanks.

Anyone else, still looking...

Warp

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Better get something sturdy at that height. My friend has those Bell'os with Studio 20s and they didn't feel all that stable.

Why exactly do you need 36"? Do you have a tall couch?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
That is correct... Need to overcome the back sid of the couch, Im actually firing at the side of one, but over the back of the other.. wierd layout, but it works just fine... I just have to direct them in a downward angle.. NP..

I was thinking about wall mounting, but I don't want those Studio 20's that close to the wall... Plus on one side, there is a Pocket door, which will make me put them up high and I don't really want to do that...

Seems that those bello's handle 100 lbs. still not that sturdy ehh..

So Still lookin for idea's... if anyone has any..

thanks

Warp

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They can handle the weight, but weight handling and stability are two different things :) You just have to put something on them to mount the speaker to the stand - I thought the 20s had inserts on the bottom for actual mounting too? BluTac might be sufficient to keep them on there.

I went with the high mass stands from Parts Express (24"), but they are 26" with the spikes installed.

The Billy Bags recommendation is good too.

Might also check out www.racksandstands.com and www.audioadvisor.com if you haven't already.

Have you thought about DIY? 36" stands are quite uncommon.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Buckle-meister said:
Or what about thinking out of the box? Buy a new couch that's lower in height. :D
Just get more cushions and sit higher...

Or get some Studio 40s instead :D

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Listen here the two of you.... :) :)

Couch isn't going anywhere for what I just paid for the damn thing...

And I do have some DIY there for a temporary, but I wanted something a bit quicker, and prettier then I can make & then it would take me to weld up myself.. much planning there...
Looks like I found some other good ones, after more searching...
Here
Or here

Looks like I won't end up with the most beautiful, but it'll have to do..

thanks for your help guys...

any other Fancy suggestions, that are not easily located, please let me know..

Warp

Last edited:
zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
On hardwood, my SP200's were fine with the heavy BPVX Deftech's; but j's right, on carpet they aren't great unless you anchor them to the floor which is easy to do. With the new carpet I have, it isn't bad so I haven't anchored them, but before with thick carpet, they were tipsy, and I was nervous with surround speakers that heavy & expensive sitting on them. I liked the stands so much more looks wise compared to everything else that I wanted to keep them (and I already had a couple bell'o pieces holding my amps, TV, & sources), so I made a couple black straps less than 0.5" wide by 4-5" long to secure the stands to the floor. I put two straps over the bottom legs of each stand. The straps were held to the floor thru the carpet by two wood screws, one on each end of strap. If this sounds confusing or troublesome, it wasn't. I used those nylon zip ties, just large ones that were black, cut them to size length wise and drilled two holes in them for the screws. The straps were against the base of the stand so tightly, that they blended in and weren't noticable. When the day comes that I increase the number of surround sound channels from two to 4, I'll probably get more SP200's unless I have walls that would be condusive to mounting the speakers since I put them against the wall anyhow.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
jcPanny

Those are pretty cool... thanks for the link... those would really fit the bill, and I like the 3 spikes (feet) better then 4. I appreciate your help !!!

Warp

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
jcPanny said:
Axiom Audio will build their metal speaker stands in any custom height. Might be a good option for your application.
http://www.axiomaudio.com/fms_custom.html#
I like the look of those too. Expensive, but pretty cool you can order custom heights, haven't heard of being able to do something like that before w/ stands, that could be worth a lot. Anybody have those who can comment on stability on carpet?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
zildjian said:
I like the look of those too. Expensive, but pretty cool you can order custom heights, haven't heard of being able to do something like that before w/ stands, that could be worth a lot. Anybody have those who can comment on stability on carpet?
I agree... I might just have to swing for those..
I emailed them for the dimensions of the top plate... to see if my upcoming studio 20's will fit on there... I might just have to modify that plate..
Oh well.. nothing new to me..

Thanks again for the link... ;)

Warp

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
zildjian said:
...who can comment on stability...?
I couldn't resist 'doing the numbers' on this. :cool:

1. A square shaped base will resist overturning 73% better than a triangular shaped base, assuming the distance between feet is the same in both cases and ignoring the self weight of the stands. However;
2. It's physically impossible for a triangular base to 'rock' on its feet like a square base will if improperly levelled, hence the reason a triangular base is considered to be more stable than a square base;
3. In practice, point 1, which probably seems dreadful, will be a non-issue if you're careful and point 2 is quite handy a natural property of a triangular footprint to have. :)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Buckle-meister said:
I couldn't resist 'doing the numbers' on this. :cool:

1. A square shaped base will resist overturning 73% better than a triangular shaped base, assuming the distance between feet is the same in both cases and ignoring the self weight of the stands. However;
2. It's physically impossible for a triangular base to 'rock' on its feet like a square base will if improperly levelled, hence the reason a triangular base is considered to be more stable than a square base;
3. In practice, point 1, which probably seems dreadful, will be a non-issue if you're careful and point 2 is quite handy a natural property of a triangular footprint to have. :)
Well I guess its totally confirmed with the research that you have provided !!!
Thanks so much I guess I'll be buying the Triangles... :)

Warp

H

Herr D

Junior Audioholic
I've always bought my A/V furniture and speakers stands from Spectral (http://www.firstthingsfirst.de) and I'm very happy with it. I don't know how easy it is to get your hands on in USA but over here in Europe you can get them anywhere and they're considered to be top of the line (as far as I know)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Well It doesn't look like I will be able to got that stuff, but it sure does look nice... thanks

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis