$3500 System Recommendation

F

fish4life

Enthusiast
I stumbled across this site looking for exactly what I found here.

I actually cancelled the television I ordered until I get some feedback here.

My budget is $3500 for a complete system.

A couple questions on the one recommended here.

It seems like there may be newer models of what is recommended because the systme is a little dated--2006.

I am doing a 50" display instead of 42".

Do these recommendations still hold true or is there an "updated" system I should be looking at.

Thanks for the replies. I am looking to buy in the next few days.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I think everything there is probably good, but you may want to consider the larger TV (which you already are) and a receiver with HDMI capabilities, such as the Onkyo 605.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That recommended system is way outdated. A lot has changed since 2006.

http://www.audioholics.com/buying-guides/system-buying-guides/the-3500-balanced-av-system/equipment-product-recommendations

I would get the Onkyo 605 for $400, which has 2 HDMI 1.3 inputs, Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD MA decoding.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4166655

A dvd player for $230? Kidding me? I would get a Toshiba HD DVD player for $230!

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-HD-A2-HD-DVD-Player/dp/B000IJV4BC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-2597208-1330328?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1191851619&sr=8-1

You can get the Panasonic 50" Plasma for $1,525

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TH-50PX75U-720p-Plasma-HDTV/dp/B000O5TFRK/ref=sr_1_9/104-2597208-1330328?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1191851733&sr=1-9

So that leaves you with $2,100 for speakers.

Edit: About the DVD player, I would wait and get the Samsung blu-ray that has Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD MA bitstream, but that may cost you $700. If all you want to spend is around $200, then I would get the Toshiba HD DVD.

For speakers, there are "endless" possibilities. If you ask 20 people, they will give you 20 different suggestions.

But here is mine: Definitive Technology SuperTower BP7004 (L/R), Def Tech CLR 2500 (Center), Def Tech SM 350 (Surround L/R) for about $2,200.
My reason: each BP7004 has a built-in 300-watts RMS subwoofer. The frequency response is 27 - 30,000 Hz +/- 3dB. I think unless you have a 600 S.F. or larger room, having two subwoofers that can go down to 27 Hz is sufficient. Having full range towers are also great for Pure Direct Stereo Mode.

Last edited:
F

fish4life

Enthusiast
I've got an XBOX 360 and I'm thinking of getting the HD DVD through that for $150.

F

fish4life

Enthusiast
I'm thinking of going with the Panasonic - TH-50PX77U with the anti glare coating.

So with that we are at:

TV-Panasonic - TH-50PX77U $1629
Receiver-Onkyo 605 $399
XBOX HD DVD $150

Last edited:
AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
So how big is your room to proceed with speakers/sub recommendations?

F

fish4life

Enthusiast
How about speakers?

I'm looking at Aperion. Is there a better deal or value for the money.

Witht this setup I'll be at $3687 without wires. Close enough for me but are these speakers worth it?

DETAILS:
A. Front Speakers:
Intimus 533-T Tower Speaker
$750.00/Pr. Availability: In stock

B. Subwoofers:
Intimus S8, 8" Powered Subwoofer
$279.00 Availability: In stock

C. Center Channel:
Intimus 533-VAC Center Channel Speaker
$280.00 Availability: In stock

D. Surrounds:
Intimus 422-LR Satellite Speaker
$200.00/Pr. Availability: In stock

Total Recommended System Price:
$1,509.00

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Start by auditioning speakers. Once that's out of the way, it gets much easier.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How about speakers?

I'm looking at Aperion. Is there a better deal or value for the money.

Witht this setup I'll be at $3687 without wires. Close enough for me but are these speakers worth it?

DETAILS:
A. Front Speakers:
Intimus 533-T Tower Speaker
$750.00/Pr. Availability: In stock

B. Subwoofers:
Intimus S8, 8" Powered Subwoofer
$279.00 Availability: In stock

C. Center Channel:
Intimus 533-VAC Center Channel Speaker
$280.00 Availability: In stock

D. Surrounds:
Intimus 422-LR Satellite Speaker
$200.00/Pr. Availability: In stock

Total Recommended System Price:
$1,509.00
Aperion would be my second choice.
I would get the 533-PT w/built-in powered subwoofer. That way you will have two subwoofers instead of one. The low frequency response of the
S8 subwoofer & the 533-PT are the same: 30 Hz +/- 3dB. The additional $171 for the additional subwoofer is worth it to me. With the full range tower, you can take advantage of the Pure Direct modes for stereo music.

F

fish4life

Enthusiast
Aperion would be my second choice.
I would get the 533-PT w/built-in powered subwoofer. That way you will have two subwoofers instead of one. The low frequency response of the
S8 subwoofer & the 533-PT are the same: 30 Hz +/- 3dB. The additional $171 for the additional subwoofer is worth it to me. With the full range tower, you can take advantage of the Pure Direct modes for stereo music.
So whats the first choice?

Are the Boston Acoustics considered a better speaker. Those sale prices sure do look good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So whats the first choice?

Are the Boston Acoustics considered a better speaker. Those sale prices sure do look good.
Well, my first choice would be beyond your speaker budget of $1,500.

We all know that the final test is the auditioning in YOUR OWN home. In general we can agree on the fact that most respectable brands will do a good job. Since Aperion gives you free shipping both ways for auditioning their speakers, why not take it?

Do you have a Home Theater store near you? Like Magnolia in Best Buy stores? Ultimate Electronics?

If my brother asked me, "If you could spend $1,800 on speakers and not a dime more, what would you buy?"

I would say, "Def Tech BP7006 x 2 & SM350 x 3 = $1,800".
The BP7006 has a built-in 300-watts RMS 8" subwoofer (freq response 29-20,000 Hz +/- 3dB). I can get this at my local HT store for $600 each, including tax. In comparison, the Aperion has a built-in 150-watts RMS 8" subwoofer (freq response 30-20,000 Hz +/- 3dB), also for $600.
The Def Tech SM350 has a built-in PASSIVE 8" subwoofer. I don't know the low freq response +/- 3dB, but my educated guess is that it is between 50-60Hz, since the SM450 is 47 Hz +/- 3dB. In comparison, the Aperion 533-VAC center speaker is 80 Hz +/- 3dB.

That's what I would do if I had exactly $1,800 to spend on speakers. That would be my first choice.

I believe that tower speakers with built-in subwoofers are the way to go. I think most expensive speakers are like this. For example, the Linn Komri is $20,000 per speaker. It also has a tower speaker with built-in powered subwoofer. The Bang & Olufsen BeoLab 5 is a $8,000 per speaker and it has built-in amplifiers for each drivers, including a powered subwoofer. I think most super expensive speakers are tower speakers with built-in subwoofers (or more).

Is 2-channel music also important to you?

F

fish4life

Enthusiast
Yes, music is important as well.

I like the idea of not having a sub.

So the SM350 would be the center channel as well as the surround speakers?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Speakers are very personal.....

Go out with your favorite music that you are intimately used too and try out some speakers on your ears....
Take your time with them..... In my opinion they ae the most important part of the system... that and a good sub...

A good idea would be to get a sub online from a company like SVS or HSU....
Excellent bang for your buck... Once you truly have a good sub, you'll appreciate what it means....

Speakers:
Audition, Audition, Audition... Take your time finding out about how different speakers sound.... take notes about the differences you hear in speakers.

Oh and the best part, is enjoy the time it takes..... its a great adventure.

Everybodies opinion is different... I like seperate subs... Depends on whether you do alot of Home theater...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis