3 speakers one 2 channel amp

R

RBrashears

Enthusiast
I currently have two Klipsch klf 30 loud speakers 8ohms hooked up to a two channel Qsc gx5 I'm buying the center speaker today
My question is if I can hook all three speakers up to the amp and if so how ??

THANKS !

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I currently have two Klipsch klf 30 loud speakers 8ohms hooked up to a two channel Qsc gx5 I'm buying the center speaker today
My question is if I can hook all three speakers up to the amp and if so how ??

THANKS !
Not if you want it to sound "right". You need one channel per speaker and the signal needs to be decoded properly in order to have any kind of surround sound. In the old days of HiFi, the ones who wanted an ambience channel would connect that speaker to both positive terminals, which would pass the information that's common to both channels but they usually had to add a volume control in order to match the speaker levels. You can try it but I wouldn't bet that it'll sound good or natural.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You don't have a center channel and you can't manufacture one out of thin air.

What the other guy actually described is a "difference" signal* where only some sounds would come from your "center" chanel and those generally sound pretty poor. These were used for cheezy efects beck in "the day" and had a level control to lower their volume so the sound coming from it didn't ruin the sound of the rest of the system.

Plus. nowadays there's no guarantee that your amp won't rebel against having this miscegenation done to it and go on strike.

So, I'd have to say no. If you want a cener channel, get a real HT receiver that will allow for a real center channel.

*The same sounds from each channel would cancel each other out.

highfigh

highfigh

What the other guy actually described is a "difference" signal* where only some sounds would come from your "center" chanel and those generally sound pretty poor. These were used for cheezy efects beck in "the day" and had a level control to lower their volume so the sound coming from it didn't ruin the sound of the rest of the system.

Plus. nowadays there's no guarantee that your amp won't rebel against having this miscegenation done to it and go on strike.

So, I'd have to say no. If you want a cener channel, get a real HT receiver that will allow for a real center channel.

*The same sounds from each channel would cancel each other out.
You're right- it is the difference info that would be sent to the speaker. However, it would only cancel if the speaker had two voice coils and the channels were wired reverse polarity/out of phase.

Regardless, the OP needs to do this the right way.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Many years ago my late dad connected a Klipsch Heresy speaker to two Klipschorns for a center speaker. He ran a line from the + from the left and a line from the - from the right to the center speaker. I am not sure how this will work for you, this was over 40 years ago. he had old school tube amps.
But it will play the center speaker, just Not a real third channel.

R

RBrashears

Enthusiast
Think I'm just going to give in and get an pioneer elite sc07 receiver, is there a way to hook the amp up thru the receiver ? That would be sweet :D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If your receiver of choice has preamp outputs, you're golden.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
How do I find that out ?:eek:
It does have Pre-outs so you can use your amp and the receivers amps for the other channels, but again it isn't the ideal scenario, as you should always try to use the same manufacturer amps in the front three speakers

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Many years ago my late dad connected a Klipsch Heresy speaker to two Klipschorns for a center speaker. He ran a line from the + from the left and a line from the - from the right to the center speaker. I am not sure how this will work for you, this was over 40 years ago. he had old school tube amps.
Then he would have just duplicated the left channel on the center speaker, as the negatives are common.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Either check the specs on line or, as is so common nowadays, take the lazy way out and wait for somebody else to do the legwork for you and answer it.
Well said!

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
It does have Pre-outs so you can use your amp and the receivers amps for the other channels, but again it isn't the ideal scenario, as you should always try to use the same manufacturer amps in the front three speakers
You're using KLF C-7 for your center, correct? That is a relatively high sensitivity speaker and won't require much power. You should be fine driving that from the AVR.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Then he would have just duplicated the left channel on the center speaker, as the negatives are common.
It was many years ago... I could be mistaken on what + or - was used but
he said something about hooking up one wire from each speaker for the center. He read that PWK was doing this..... I liked it just L and R for music.
That was over 45 years ago and I thought he wired it like I posted but Pop was "INTO" PWK Heritage Speakers. How would PWK have wired the center speaker? No way dad did this wrong, me getting old and have not thought about him doing this in many years.

EDIT tuff crowd here :) I looked up my question. And my question was found on Highfigh post on the first page.

Last edited:
LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Think I'm just going to give in and get an pioneer elite sc07 receiver, is there a way to hook the amp up thru the receiver ? That would be sweet :D
Good idea... nice AVR you are looking at. It will play your Klipsch speakers just fine with out the other amp, but yes it has a feature to use use a different amp.. Welcome to the Forum as I noticed your post count. Some of the Experts that have thousands of posts have been very helpfull but sometimes they forget some of us are doing good to just hook up all our equipment correctly with a manual in hand, and running the room correction features on the HD AVR can be PIA the first time you use the mic. My neighbor has 4 Klipsch KLF20 and matching C7 center on a Yamaha HD AVR RX-V2065 (same specs as my Yamaha) for several years now and he added a SVS Ultra 13 sub. wow his Blurays are awsome for the money he invested.... there are some that Do Not like a AVR.... or use the HD AVR as a pre/pro and hook up expensive multi channel amps (as you posted). To each his own...:) depends on your speakers need for power. I have had good service from my Yamaha AVR's over the years (the 2400 is a 2003 model). My Klipsch speakers just do not Need huge expensive amps to shake my small den. 5.2 HT system. I hope you have room for a second pair of KLF for your rears for your HT system (timber matched)
I have enjoyed my Klipsch speakers for 30 plus years on many different amp/turner combo's..tubes and SS. Have fun with your system... the only person that matters is YOU. If you like the sound you have... ENJOY.
Louis

highfigh

highfigh

That's risky with a lot of tube amps- they have separate output transformers for each channel and connecting a load across two channels doesn't make tube amps happy in most cases- especially if it's a relatively low impedance load. However, if he used a separate tap for the one speaker and the Common terminal is at chassis potential, all he did was connect two speakers to the channel with the speaker wire's + terminal.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
That's risky with a lot of tube amps- they have separate output transformers for each channel and connecting a load across two channels doesn't make tube amps happy in most cases- especially if it's a relatively low impedance load. However, if he used a separate tap for the one speaker and the Common terminal is at chassis potential, all he did was connect two speakers to the channel with the speaker wire's + terminal.
I read about that and others advise on hooking up a old school Hersey to two
Klipschorns. Most agreed a waste in money.... and for every action their is a reaction and is it worth the risk:) tube amps? I do Not remember if Dad used a tap( he had McIntosh seperates..tubes from mid 1960's), I know he would have followed how Paul Klipsch would have wired this as Klipsch was selling a 3 rd speaker for this back then... key Words ...sell another speaker... I liked the Khorns by themselves.. so did Pop(later) the 3rd speaker did NOT stay in Pop's music room for very long. All I posted was it would play the speaker they way I posted... then TLS GUY posted it would just be a second speaker for one side. I have no idea... again I posted it would play the 3rd speaker. It just seemed to me Pop said + from - from the other for the middle one. A lot has happed to me in 45 years... just don't remeber for sure how he wired it. Hey I have a 7.1 HD AVR and a 5.2 HT set up in 10X14 room... only use 5 of the 7 seperate channels. My Rig is RIGHT :D And Thanks too all for ther info on these olds school speakers and amps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis