2 x Paradigm Defiance X12 vs 1 x X15 (space) for HT setup

D

darthgup

Audiophyte
First of all, I’ve been trying to educate myself over the last few month, definitely a newbie and a lot to learn.
I pulled the trigger recently on some paradigm Prestige 95F’s, 55c and 15b for surround. I got a great price. My room is essentially 20x20 but cathedral ceiling (30ft) so wanted something large to fill the room.
Originally I just had the 2x15b and a paradigm PDR-100w for the sub, but after getting these massive towers the PDR-100 isn’t cutting it. I love the clarity of the paradigm towers and looking for a good sub that is equally clear for the low ends. I originally was looking at the paradigm prestige 2000sw but after reading many reviews I realize the cost isn’t justified. Was thinking SVS 16 Pb-ultra but can’t get it in Canada right now (out of stock everywhere). Budget is 3000 range up to 4000 max either for a killer single sub or for a dual sub setup.
Thank you everyone and hope this post makes sense and sorry if there are more details needed
Darthgup

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would go for dual X15s if your purpose is movie watching. The X15s dig a bit deeper which may be advantageous in film sound mixes which can have very deep bass. The X12s hit very hard and would no doubt suffice for a music system but don't quite have the low-frequency extension of the X15s.

D

darthgup

Audiophyte
Thank you both for such quick replies. I have read so many good things about the SVS but the reviews on the defiance with the room correction have also need great. So what would be better, 1 SVS PB-16 or a dual defiance X15?
also if I go dual defiance because of room layout is it better to have the subs in opposite corners (rear left and front right?). I think both upfront because of size and other equipment would be tough.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
X15 duals would be a higher-performing system overall. The PB16 Ultra would have more extreme deep bass for sure, but dual X15s would have such a huge advantage at 30Hz and above, and they can yield a flatter frequency response by virtue of being a multiple sub setup. Opposite corner setup may have good results, but you can't know until you have measured the room response.

D

darthgup

Audiophyte
Thank so much for the feedback! Helps my decision a lot. Will do a bit more research before pulling the trigger as my dealer is closed today lol.
just for confirm would the opinion be that the paradigm prestige 1000sw or 2000sw not with the budget? Basically paying for astherics?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Correct, much of what you are paying for is aesthetics. That, and it is not easy to get a lot of bass from a small package which is what the Prestige subs are trying to do. The Defiance subs are allowed larger enclosure sizes and so are able to get performance more efficiently and easily.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
I would go for dual X15s if your purpose is movie watching. The X15s dig a bit deeper which may be advantageous in film sound mixes which can have very deep bass. The X12s hit very hard and would no doubt suffice for a music system but don't quite have the low-frequency extension of the X15s.
The X15's only dig a tiny bit lower and you generally loose speed & precision with larger drivers which can hurt musical performance. I chose 2 x X12 over X15 as 12" drivers offer a better balance for music and movies imo. I just got my second yesterday so, I can't give impressions yet but, even one X12 could completely rumble my medium/small room(17.5x11.5x8') with ease during movies. I suspect 2 will be nuts. If I ever need more or lower extension, I will add 2 more or 1 more with a very larger driver(15+") for the extreme low extension.

Just to chime in on SVS...

When trying to decide between 2 x X12 or 2 X PB-2000 Pro I was told by two different people that auditioned both side by side that the Defiance was more precise and better sounding overall but, didn't dig quite as deep. I chose the Paras as 2.2 music is a bit more important to me then movies, it matches my Para system including ART Surrounds, I got a better price, and they are made in Canada like most of the rest of my system.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
D

darthgup

Audiophyte
The X15's only dig a tiny bit lower and you generally loose speed & precision with larger drivers which can hurt musical performance. I chose 2 x X12 over X15 as 12" drivers offer a better balance for music and movies imo. I just got my second yesterday so, I can't give impressions yet but, even one X12 could completely rumble my medium/small room(17.5x11.5x8') with ease during movies. I suspect 2 will be nuts. If I ever need more or lower extension, I will add 2 more or 1 more with a very larger driver(15+") for the extreme low extension.

Just to chime in on SVS...

When trying to decide between 2 x X12 or 2 X PB-2000 Pro I was told by two different people that auditioned both side by side that the Defiance was more precise and better sounding overall but, didn't dig quite as deep. I chose the Paras as 2.2 music is a bit more important to me then movies, it matches my Para system including ART Surrounds, I got a better price, and they are made in Canada like most of the rest of my system.

Thanks so much for your insight and experience. Now I’m in a dilemma as I showed the boss (wife) the astherics I’d the SVS and the X15’s (and X12) at that. She hates it. And doesn’t like the fact the astherics wise it doesn’t match the midnight cherry of the other speakers. Her answer simply was for us to save a bit more and get the 2000sw so it matches. Tried to explain about the bang for value but she is ok wanting to pay more for something that looks more visually appealing. Any thoughts or insights on the 2000sw?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
That's why you Keep the wife OUT of your Decisions

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Thanks so much for your insight and experience. Now I’m in a dilemma as I showed the boss (wife) the astherics I’d the SVS and the X15’s (and X12) at that. She hates it. And doesn’t like the fact the astherics wise it doesn’t match the midnight cherry of the other speakers. Her answer simply was for us to save a bit more and get the 2000sw so it matches. Tried to explain about the bang for value but she is ok wanting to pay more for something that looks more visually appealing. Any thoughts or insights on the 2000sw?
No problem man, anytime.

Wives and GF's generally hate everything so, leave them out of the decision process if at all possible. It's better to ask for forgiveness then permission. Once they are in the house and setup they will get used to it and the whining will eventually stop lol. It helps stop the whining faster by directly showing them the sound improvement and any cost savings.

If that's the case tell her you need 2 of the 2000sw as 2 subs minimum are essential. They honestly really are imo. I have never had 2 before and I have to say that after just 2 days and without even having a mic yet to dial them in properly, it is night and day. Bass is so much more full and punchy now. It is also almost complete non-directional. If I close my eyes now it is coming from everywhere where as with just the one X12 the room always felt unbalanced. 2 subs also allow for a more forgiving setup for multiple seating positions.

Last edited:
T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
That's why you Keep the wife OUT of your Decisions
Exactly.

Women tend to only care about aesthetics which have almost no bearing on sound and that is the whole reason we spend thousands on our systems. It kind of defeats the purpose to have a beautiful audio system that sounds like crap due to focusing on looks instead of performance right. You might as well buy art pieces at that point. This issue comes up all the time when guys start investigating room treatment as well. The real trick is finding the middle ground where your system sounds good, looks good, and the wifey is still happy...

Jamie Smith

Jamie Smith

Audioholic Intern
First of all, I’ve been trying to educate myself over the last few month, definitely a newbie and a lot to learn.
I pulled the trigger recently on some paradigm Prestige 95F’s, 55c and 15b for surround. I got a great price. My room is essentially 20x20 but cathedral ceiling (30ft) so wanted something large to fill the room.
Originally I just had the 2x15b and a paradigm PDR-100w for the sub, but after getting these massive towers the PDR-100 isn’t cutting it. I love the clarity of the paradigm towers and looking for a good sub that is equally clear for the low ends. I originally was looking at the paradigm prestige 2000sw but after reading many reviews I realize the cost isn’t justified. Was thinking SVS 16 Pb-ultra but can’t get it in Canada right now (out of stock everywhere). Budget is 3000 range up to 4000 max either for a killer single sub or for a dual sub setup.
Thank you everyone and hope this post makes sense and sorry if there are more details needed
Darthgup
What did ya get after?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis