2 speakers on Yamaha HTR 4067 (5.1) Receiver not working?

A

av-novice

Enthusiast
I have 2 speakers connected to a
Yamaha HTR 4067 (5.1) Receiver but
it is not working.

The manual is not helpful, please
help.

Note: I cannot have 5 speakers due
to space limitation.

S

Suphawut

Audioholic Intern
what is your setup configuration?

Sent from my GT-I9205 using Tapatalk

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Just too many unaddressed variables to offer any assistance.

1. What is the source component(s)? Do you have it (them) connected to the receiver properly?

2. Are the speakers connected properly and to the correct speaker terminals on the receiver’s back panel (Front left and right)?

3. Did you set the receiver for two-channel stereo in the set-up menu?

4. Did you try the “Straight” button on the remote, which bypasses all processing (in the event that #4 was incorrectly set up as 5.1) and delivers basic stereo?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

A

av-novice

Enthusiast
what is your setup configuration?

Thanks for your help. I have not made any configuration. There is no where in the setup menu where I can select 2 speakers, 2 channels, stereo or anything similar. Please, advise me on what to do.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Page 66 in the manual. Set it for no center speaker and no surround speakers. Do that and stereo is the default.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

A

av-novice

Enthusiast
1. What is the source component(s)? Do you have it (them) connected to the receiver properly?
ANSWER: No other sources except the AV Receiver and its properly connected to the TV via HDMI 2.0 ARC flat cable.

2. Are the speakers connected properly and to the correct speaker terminals on the receiver’s back panel (Front left and right)?
ANSWER: The speakers are properly connected.

3. Did you set the receiver for two-channel stereo in the set-up menu?
ANSWER: There is no where in the setup menu to set it on stereo.

4. Did you try the “Straight” button on the remote, which bypasses all processing (in the event that #4 was incorrectly set up as 5.1) and delivers basic stereo?
ANSWER: I have pressed the "Straight" button but no changes.

Please, advise me on what to do next. The Yamaha HTR 4067 setup menu does not provide buttons to make some of the configurations recommended and I dont know how to use the Staight button.

A

av-novice

Enthusiast
Page 66 in the manual. Set it for no center speaker and no surround speakers. Do that and stereo is the default.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
There is no where in the setup menu to set Center and Surround Speakers to NO. There are only buttons to set the Center and Surround Speakers to Small or Large.

Also, when I press Straight button, a speaker icon error appears on TV screen as shown in image attached.
images.png

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Yamaha says this receiver is ARC compatible, but your TV also has to be ARC for it work. I imagine the speaker icon you got is an indicator that the signal can’t be switched to Straight because there is no signal to switch. Try sending a separate digital audio signal from the TV to the receiver. There sill probably be something that needs to be set up in the receiver's menu to accommodate this. If you can get an audio signal to the receiver, then the Straight button on the remote should give you basic two-channel.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

A

av-novice

Enthusiast
My TV and the HDMI cable are ARC compatible.

I found out that the speaker was on mute hence the speaker icon, so please ignore that aspect.

Please, advise me on how to use the Straight button to get 2 channels as nothing happens when I press the button.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I found out that the speaker was on mute hence the speaker icon, so please ignore that aspect.

Please, advise me on how to use the Straight button to get 2 channels as nothing happens when I press the button.
Can you bring the GUI menu up on your TV? You must do this first.

Now go to audio/speaker set up.

Tell the receiver you are just using two speakers.

Now see if you can get the set up test tones to play through your speakers.

If you can no go to the input set up menu and configure the inputs correctly for what you have.

ARC can be difficult to set up. Disabling CEC often helps.

I think part of your problem is looking for buttons.

Modern receivers set up by navigating set up GUI interfaces on the TV screen.

Forgive me, but you seem to be unusually technically challenged when confronted with modern AV gear.

We will do our best to help.

I have to go to our Eagan residence now for Easter.

Later I will download your manual and see if we can talk you through it.

What is your TV? I will find that manual as well.

It is possible you will have to get someone on site with you.

Unfortunately you are not alone having these kind of issues. This is something that could and needs to be corrected to make units more plug and play like times of old. This would require cooperation from lots of parties to get done, and I'm not optimistic this will happen.

This is causing sales resistance I believe and driving significant consumers away.

We will do our best, but lately we have unfortunately been unable to help some.

My fear and others, is that there are going to be more than a few people we can not bring up to speed for the times we live in. These issues are the least of them. I fear we are approaching a time where substantial numbers of people will be unemployable. That is going to be the big issue we have to confront.

I'm aware of more than a few cases personally. My son is head software engineer of pretty large outfit. Now when asked what he does for a job, he cynically says "I put people out of work." Unfortunately it is true.

A

av-novice

Enthusiast
I have done every suggestions you and others provided wihout any success. I have researched and applied tons of solutions provided on the internet and not resolved.

As you said, many other users are experiencing the same issues. The problem in my case is that there are no text or graphic buttons to change the settings to stereo, 2 channels etc as recommended.

You are right, its hard for some of us to keep up with latest technology. Fortunately, I am a web based software programmer but a complete novice in hardware. I dont need to be a rocket scientist to operate an AV Receiver. I guess a 2 year old child would be able to click text or graphic buttons on GUI/OSD if directed.

However, the GUI and manual for Yamaha HTR 4067 are not helpful.

Unfortunately, I can not return and exchange the 2 .0 speakers for 5.1 speakers as I have a very small room.

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have done every suggestions you and others provided wihout any success. I have researched and applied tons of solutions provided on the internet and not resolved.

As you said, many other users are experiencing the same issues. The problem in my case is that there are no text or graphic buttons to change the settings to stereo, 2 channels etc as recommended.

You are right, its hard for some of us to keep up with latest technology. Fortunately, I am a web based software programmer but a complete novice in hardware. I dont need to be a rocket scientist to operate an AV Receiver. I guess a 2 year old child would be able to click text or graphic buttons on GUI/OSD if directed.

However, the GUI and manual for Yamaha HTR 4067 are not helpful.

Unfortunately, I can not return and exchange the 2 .0 speakers for 5.1 speakers as I have a very small room.

Any help will be greatly appreciated...
Be patient we will get you there. I will look at the manual as soon as I get time. However I suspect that like the rest the manual is hundreds of pages long.

It is navigating the software however, and not hardware, that the problems arise.

So I have to put most of the blame at the door of your software colleagues!

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

HDMI can be blinky, as TLS noted. I’d suggest going ahead and trying a coax or optical digital feed from the TV to the receiver as I suggested above.

HDMI is mainly for transferring digital audio and video from outboard sources like a cable box etc., so push comes to shove you don’t even need HDMI if the TV is you only source. Just run a pair of standard RCA cables from the TV’s audio output to either AV-5 or AV-6 on the receiver. Just be sure and turn off the TV’s internal speakers in the TV’s menu.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

A

av-novice

Enthusiast
You have hit the nail on the head...It is a software documentation issue.

Yamaha GUI or manual should indicate if the hardware is restricted to 2.1 or 5.1 and provide easy guide on how to changing the settings to 2 channels.

I have sent email to Yamaha support but no response yet.

As experts in AV, I reckon you guys here are in a better position to identify these sort of errors and recommend solutions.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
try different cables and/or try a different source.

A

av-novice

Enthusiast
To Wayne and Philip,

I dont have RCA cable or other Sources to test it.

As suggested, I will disable TV Internal Speaker and try the HDMI ARC cable again and let you know if it works.

S

Suphawut

Audioholic Intern
tell u what . short n simple.
-01xpair of analog input. from player. (no digital interconnects please)
- play using pure direct or stereo.
option 2 - setup menu test tone for L/R channel. measurements in -db remember not volume for yamaha. if there is test tone sound..
#nothing except ur assign inputs on the amp is wrong.
# left side of the front panel will show u how many channels feeding.
"if u r in sg pm will do"

S

Suphawut

Audioholic Intern
to add on.. dun mess up urself with tv hdmi etc.... always troubleshoot from cables on the binding post, then analo follow by digital. lastly tv.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

To Wayne and Philip,

I’d suggest getting some RCA cables ASAP. Do you live near a guitar shop, Walmart, Best Buy, Home Depot or Radio Shack? The cheapest ones you can find will do.

And certainly you have other sources, unless you the only guy without a computer or cell phone with a headphone output (okay, we do know you have a computer!). You can pick up a cable for that at the same place you get the RCAs from (headphone plug to RCA splitter).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
To Wayne and Philip,

As suggested, I will disable TV Internal Speaker and try the HDMI ARC cable again and let you know if it works.
You have at least one computer. You have a phone. Those are sources.

Buy a couple cables - another hdmi, optical, and 3.5mm/1/8"->rca.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis