walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
This might sound a little crazy. Is it possible to work if I have my surrounds split into surrounds and rear surrounds. Space is starting to be a problem. I would like to mount them on the rear wall and drive them with 2 amps. The surround signal into the left side and the rear surround into the right side. Am I making any sense here or what???

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think you should just go to 5.2, instead of 7.2.

IMO you are losing absolutely nothing significant going to just 5.2.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
This might sound a little crazy. Is it possible to work if I have my surrounds split into surrounds and rear surrounds. Space is starting to be a problem. I would like to mount them on the rear wall and drive them with 2 amps. The surround signal into the left side and the rear surround into the right side. Am I making any sense here or what???

I've seen a manufacturer that has bipole speakers that can do this, but I can't remember which one. I can't remember for sure, but I think that it will actually do bipole, dipole, or 2 separate channels.

If I come across that model again I will re-post to this thread.

But, if your space is limited, do you really think you get a big benefit from 7 ch vs. 5 ch?

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I've seen a manufacturer that has bipole speakers that can do this, but I can't remember which one. I can't remember for sure, but I think that it will actually do bipole, dipole, or 2 separate channels.

If I come across that model again I will re-post to this thread.

But, if your space is limited, do you really think you get a big benefit from 7 ch vs. 5 ch?
I can have them made like that. I do have another set of surrounds coming. All I have to do is ask him to wire them like that. Having them set up like that is no problem, but would it make sense??

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Having them set up like that is no problem, but would it make sense??
Yeah that would make sense but only to you. :D

Just go for it. You've been resisting 5.x for a long time and with a fair degree of success. I think what you might be getting out of 7.x is sheer spl's.

When I make it out there, is it okay if I wear a crash helmet for the speaker demo? :D

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah that would make sense but only to you. :D

Just go for it. You've been resisting 5.x for a long time and with a fair degree of success. I think what you might be getting out of 7.x is sheer spl's.

When I make it out there, is it okay if I wear a crash helmet for the speaker demo? :D
I think you might be right. Just stick to 5.X and don't look back.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I can go from 13 speakers + 7 subs down to just "5 speakers" in my HT room, you can go to 5.X, darn it! :D

I am going from 8 speakers + 4 subs in the family room to just 2 speakers + 4 subs.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I know when you put it to 7 channel stereo you get more nearfield audio sources. It's not about right and wrong. Whatever floats your boat. I'm still playing with 7.2 with the rear surrounds on the floor, behind the couch and pointing up at the main listening position. It's like I don't ever notice their presence or absence (dependent on source material). The main thing is that I have coax and speaker wire at those locations for sub/rear surround flexibility ... that's what pushes my hair back.

I think you could get away with your idea for 2 speakers in 1 if you could mount the speaker on a side wall and have the surround aimed toward the front and the rear surround aimed toward the rear wall.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I know when you put it to 7 channel stereo you get more nearfield audio sources. It's not about right and wrong. Whatever floats your boat. I'm still playing with 7.2 with the rear surrounds on the floor, behind the couch and pointing up at the main listening position. It's like I don't ever notice their presence or absence (dependent on source material). The main thing is that I have coax and speaker wire at those locations for sub/rear surround flexibility ... that's what pushes my hair back.

I think you could get away with your idea for 2 speakers in 1 if you could mount the speaker on a side wall and have the surround aimed toward the front and the rear surround aimed toward the rear wall.
I think you guys are right, it's time to stop. 5.2 it is. You know my side wall is out of the question. I'll mount them where the LS6 are now. These things are 62#, that's gonna be a challenge.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Probably the best choice, Walter. I went from 5.2 to 7.2 and can tell a difference, but I think that's only because my rears and rear surrounds have a lot more separation that yours would have. It helped fill out the back sound stage for me because the speakers are spread wider apart now than they were. One thing to note is that what you're used to sending to the rear speakers in 5.x is sent to the rear surrounds in 7.x, so that alone can sound different because the "rear" sounds that you're used to hearing in 5.1 audio aren't in the same place as they used to be. I often use simulated 7.x sound modes to help alleviate that when playing 5.1 sources.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I think you guys are right, it's time to stop. 5.2 it is. You know my side wall is out of the question. I'll mount them where the LS6 are now. These things are 62#, that's gonna be a challenge.
I say have John wire the new ones like you're thinking. If you don't like it, you only plan on mounting one pair of them anyways so you can always swap to the "normal" ones if you don't like how the crazily wired ones sound.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Have a go try it out I noticed a difference from 5.1 to 7..1. Haven't really looked back since the upgraded.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis