Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
So, I recently acquired a Yamaha HTR-5250 that I have been using as my receiver for the last couple weeks. It was great find as even though it is about 9 or so years old, the owner kept the remote control, manual, and even the warranty papers (though useless now) in perfect condition. It was almost like buying a brand new (yet 9 year old) toy. Anyway, I was searching through the extremely long manual and on the back of the receiver are outputs designed to go to another receiver or amplifier via RCA out. I understand the amplifier part completely, but to connect to another receiver? Does the 2nd receiver act as an amplifier, or would you use it to maybe take the strain off the first amplifier by say, playing the center and fronts off one receiver, and the rears off another? I was wondering if it had any value whatsoever, because I have a 2nd receiver that is a Technics (some panasonic brand) SA-DX930 which is just as old, but had an overheating problem so I disconnected the original fan and put in a new one that was wired to run as long as the receiver was on, rather than only coming on when the receiver "thought" it was too hot. I got it for free a while ago and so I had no problem living with it and now it works as it was supposed to (better actually). Will I have any "upgrade" from using both receivers somehow? I'm getting an amp in next week specifically to run a couple sub woofers, but I'm looking at things to do to the main channel. Any input is welcomed as I'm still fairly new to home audio, coming from car audio.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. Where in the manual does it discuss connecting those outputs to another receiver? Or is it just stated on the back of the receiver?

Thanks.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
the main stereo preout could be connected to a multichannel input on another receiver, but I don't see any benefit whatsoever. An external amp with considerably more power is another story, however.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I used an older receiver hooked up to a subwoofer output to be an external amp for some passive "subs" (thread here).

I can imagine that a receiver could act as a good external amp for your speakers, but I don't think that I'd ever use one as an external amp for my speakers. Hey, you can always try it and check out the results!

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I could imagine some uses for a pre-amp out being connected to another receiver. For example: I listen to music in my computer room of a receiver. If I could run a pre-out to the receiver in my family room, I could use that connection to pipe music from the computer room to the family room (it would be better for me in this example, if the pre-amp out didn't do volue: which it likely does).

It's certainly been tempting to attach the HDMI out in my bedroom to a HDMI in the family room to watch blu-ray (only have one player) in the family room, especially given that the PS3 remote works through walls.

Another reason I might want to put one source to multiple rooms would be a media library (like the 400DVD-dvd player in the bedroom).

Honestly, a "media distributor" unit would be cool.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
Wow, that was a fast bunch of replies. Excellent. The manual does not say to connect it to a receiver, just an "external output" but elsewhere in the manual and on the back of the receiver it says "output to external receiver/amplifier"
So, that's why I was wondering why they suggested to plug it into another receiver. :confused: The idea I was thinking about was running some passive subwoofers as well, but I have no idea what the power output is on the Technics receiver, or if it would amplify the signal at all or if the first receiver would just give a passive signal direct from the source, out to another receiver.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Wow, that was a fast bunch of replies. Excellent. The manual does not say to connect it to a receiver, just an "external output" but elsewhere in the manual and on the back of the receiver it says "output to external receiver/amplifier"
So, that's why I was wondering why they suggested to plug it into another receiver. :confused: The idea I was thinking about was running some passive subwoofers as well, but I have no idea what the power output is on the Technics receiver, or if it would amplify the signal at all or if the first receiver would just give a passive signal direct from the source, out to another receiver.
The Main Output is for connecting to another amplifier if you need more power. The output may not be enabled while the internal amp is being used- check the manual for that. If you want to have completely separate control over the volume in two areas, use the record output from the receiver with the sources connected to it and connect this to the tape input of the second one. As long as you don't try to connect from the speaker terminals to the other receiver, you should be OK.

As far as codes, you can get them from the link (http://www.usersmanualguide.com/yamaha_audio/av_receivers/htr-5250) or the database for whatever remote you decide to replace the original with. URC is what I would recommend but UEI, Nevo, Pronto and Harmony will have a complete code set for this model.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis