slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have learned that if I keep an open mind and am patient that things will fall into place. I have buddied up with the only Hi-Fi store in Chattanooga, "College Hi-Fi" and have some items on consignment there and he is very helpful. He seems happy to have someone of interest nosing around however he is in it to make money and I support that but I believe I can improve upon retail offerings. With this said and the feedback i have received thus far I believe I can ultimately get to my goal.
Phase one which should be well in place within a week or so will be:

Phase 1 or 2 speaker system 1.0: Hafler DH200 AMP
Preamp ???????
ESS AMT Speakers
Phone, Computer , Blue tooth or CD Player for music source
Monster Speaker wires and cables
Stand ???????
So my dilema is I do not have a preamp. I am not sure what to use. This is the area that need to be addressed.
Most importantly----you can do MUCH better than Monster Cables and Wires!!! If you are getting those at a STEEP discount, then go for it. If you are paying MSRP, then don't do it!

If you want high quality cables and wires then go check out Blue Jeans Cable online store! They aren't cheap, but they are high quality (broadcast quality) and no-nonsense and no snake oil.

So, it seems to me that you are not wanting a DIY Pre-amp? Seems that you are now looking for a readily available commercial design? Unfortunately, there aren't many 2 channel Pre-amps on the market that are "cheap", if that is one of your criteria. Your best bet may be the Parasound 2100
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1PAC2100

Many members on this site will also recommend to get a reciever with Pre-amp outs. If you are only gonna do 2 channel or 2.1, then I would probably look at the Marantz Slimline receivers that only hav pre-amp outs for the L/R
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marnr1504/marantz-nr1504-slimline-5.1-network-av-receiver-airplay/1.html

Charlie Lamar

Charlie Lamar

Enthusiast
I consider all options, I just became a member of this site/forum and therefore my methods are unknown. To over simplify I will take advantage of all opportunities to reach my goal of a badass two speaker system. My goal is to have a one of a kind custom system that i built with my own two hands. I have found personally that I "horse Trade" until I get a strong foothold then I optimize until I'm happy. With that said, if I score a $40 ebay preamp then that is the starting point for that component. If I customize it and am happy with it, then it may last until I upgrade all the other components. Or fate may provide a better option. I have only seen a few options and other than matching it to the amp the general consensus is that a preamp, if functioning properly has little effect on the system. I still need one and I find it more enjoyable to upgrade throughout the process rather that holding out for a singular "Ultimate" component. So I am still considering which way to go. LOL

jinjuku

jinjuku

David Hafler (RIP) was a great engineer but I wouldn't go out of my way for one now days.

What do you need in a preamp? The TEAC UD 301 is really a good DAC/Pre for $399.

I prefer a Computer with JRiver for a source. Check out the Kangaroo at Newegg.com.

Get a Logitech wireless keyboard with trackpad.

Belkin Gold USB cable.

Blue Jeans Cable for the preamp and speaker cables. More cost effective than Monster and more likely better built (can't knock Monster build quality).

Charlie Lamar

Charlie Lamar

Enthusiast
Well I scored the amp so now I need a preamp. I negotiated well. I will chronicle my journey. Hopefully the speaker deal will go as well.

Charlie Lamar

Charlie Lamar

Enthusiast
OK so I finally got a preamp and with the volume turned all the way up the sound is relatively low. I checked it with a receiver with pre outs and same thing. I then took it to my high end audio shop and tested with a luxman pre and a vintage HK pre and still low sound. No fuses blown, no caps swelled and nothing looks odd. The amp is clearly a professionally built model so I don't see any shoddy workmanship. I posed the situation to the ebay seller Qua-Co (He sells upgrades for all hafler and Dynaco products)(Former Hafler Engineer) and he said check the fuses (Did and their good) then he recommended changing the caps on both boards. Only $30 for the cap kit, just curious if anyone has an opinion before I pull this trigger. Any help would be great.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
If your source is a record player, you may need a phono-pre pre-amp.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
What speakers were you using? You did try other speakers too?

I'm not really familiar with that amp, does it have gain adjustment pot?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis