1st system speaker advice.

X

Xploration

Enthusiast
Hello all,
Might as well dive right in.
This is my first HT system. I come from vehicle audio.
With that being said, i bought an M&K V76 sub.
my receiver is an Integra Dtr 5.4 (6x85@8ohm and 6x110@6ohm).
Im looking at either bookshelf or tower speakers.
the room is roughly 15x15x12. corner to corner listening.
im going for a stereo setup. either 2.1 or 2+center.1
I've been watching craigslist and playing with ebay.
my budget is $300.
im not expecting anything incredible. just good.
My eye is watching these
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-FS52-LR-Designed-standing-Loudspeaker/dp/B008NCD2S4
demo'd at a local store. I liked them. highs are a little shy though.
I've been watching paradigm, nht, energy, PSB, infinity, klipsch (i know..), and mirage.
my issue is deciding.

I guess my first two questions are,
should i go with towers or bookshelf,
and can you recommend a brand/model?

bookshelves with raise my sound stage and i hear are more controlling of sound.
where towers will give the punch while the sub fills, and are more commanding.

F

felipe

Audioholic
Hi Xploration. Bookies or towers? I guess it depends. If you get bookies, then you'll need to get stands for them which will add to the cost. If you go with towers, then more of your budget can go towards getting a better speaker. Will this setup be just for HT or will it be for both HT and music? I own those Pioneer towers and they are great for the money, but I'm assuming you prefer more prominent highs in your sound? From what I've heard so far, Infinity primus are a good bang/buck...high sensitivity and more prominent mids/highs. Right now I'm auditioning a Polk Audio TSi speaker setup, and they sound good for the money my fam member paid (400 for whole setup on CL), so I guess thats another brand you can look at ( TSi/TSx series or higher tho...the lower models IMO aren't worth it ). Hope this helps some ;)

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
" ...
I've been watching paradigm, nht, energy, PSB, infinity, klipsch (i know..), and mirage.
my issue is deciding.
..."

This is your first mistake. You are using your eyes and your fingers to do a job your ears are best suited for.

Don't watch the wallet so tightly. By that I don't mean go over budget, I mean be willing to throw someone $20 extra to get what you really want versus saving every nickel by buying something you've never actually heard from Amazon.

You should be auditioning at least 3, and preferably more, different models, using your music. The less expensive the speaker, the more critical it is to listen to as many different ones as you can, because there is no way to avoid compromise at this price level, and you want the speaker's compromises to match your own preferences.

Make a CD of music you know well; use full resolution 16/44.1 files. If all you have are mp3's or some other compressed lossy format, then go out and buy a full resolution CD of an artist you love.

Disk in hand, get out and listen to some speakers in your price range, getting the sales staff to use the disk you brought, and buy the ones that sound the best to you.

There is no way you can save money buying speakers based on other people's opinions. Use your own.

As to your question, at this price level, there is more "room" for parts quality in bookshelf speakers than floor-standing. You will need stands, but you can buy them later, or build your own for next to nothing.

Brands? You are looking in the right direction, there are of course others. The British live and die in the bookshelf speaker space, so maybe consider some imports (KEF, Tannoy, many others). Also I think you should check out Axiom Audio.

Very good speakers with one foot in Home Stereo and one in Home Theatre make upgrading easy, plus the factory website has some great deals on closeouts and seconds that work well with your budget. Because they sell direct to consumers, they almost always have a few available at a discount, and they have a generous home audition policy. Check out the left sidebar on their website for the menu item: "Special Promotions" or the "Deals" section in the top menu bar.

http://www.axiomaudio.com

Last edited:
F

felipe

Audioholic
Johnny2Bad is correct in auditioning available speakers with your own material. Some Internet companies (crutchfield, for example) have a generous in-home trials to test them out.
Speaking of Import bookies, Amazon has the KEF Q100 in black on sale for 299.99 a pair. Just a heads up on that. I'd still browse your local CL tho, you'd be surprised what you'll find ;).

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I definitely recommend getting bookshelf speakers.

Reason #1 - You have a subwoofer. Not only that, but your subwoofer was designed to be mated with M&K's satellite speakers, not floor standers. That doesn't mean you cannot integrate the V76 with floor standers with good results, but it was designed to be integrated with M&K's other offerings.

Reason #2 - You will get a better value for your money from bookshelf/satellite speakers. Bookshelf speakers of similar quality put head to head with towers of the same cost will likely perform better in respect to sound quality (not necessarily quantity). Towers typically have greater dynamic range, higher output capability, and better bass performance, but everything else the bookshelf speaker will likely have the advantage.

Send me a PM I may having something that might work for you.

X

Xploration

Enthusiast
There is a local with some KEF towers for 200. They are C95.
and KEF Q5 for 120 towers.
I might go check out some paradigm phantom v3 locally.
I appreciate the help. As stated above I need to hear more. I listen to all sorts of music, but prefer a warmer sound.
I do listen to music that has a lot of impact and dynamics to it, but I dont want listening fatigue.
I would say it would be a 50/50 split between music and movies/tv.

My fear of bookshelves is not having enough output.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The KEF Q5 seems like a very appealing price at $120, I would probably jump on that.

The C95, too old. They used a lot of electrolytic capacitors in their cross-over design and the rubber surrounds are reaching that ripe age where they start to dry, harden, and crack. I would recommend passing, especially at that price.

Bookshelf speakers in tandem with the subwoofer should provide ample output especially when you use the receiver's crossover to set the bookshelves to small. That will reduce the chances of causing the smaller drivers with the cabinet tuning to bottom out.

I have a set of M&K S-80 monitors that I used to use with my then M&K V-125 subwoofer (gone) and the pairing was very nicely matched. It wasn't until I got my Boston Acoustics VR-M50 monitors that I took them down and put them away. They're sitting unused but the soundstage was very involved and open, definitely not treble shy.

The V-125 is much like your V-76, just with a bigger amplifier. Cabinet volume, design and driver were the same.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
All the above said, if those KEF Q5's are in good shape and work perfect, and they're $120 for the pair, go now and buy them. You cannot go wrong at that price.

Edit, I see they were listed 16 hours ago. In your locale I wouldn't be surprised if they're gone alraedy. ON the chance they aren't then email them immediately (as they left no contact number) and tell them you will buy them right away (assuming that's possible) with cash in hand assuming they're not damaged, no questions asked.

F

felipe

Audioholic
I'd jump on those KEF Q5s for that price...granted they're in good condition ;).

X

Xploration

Enthusiast
The KEF Q5 seems like a very appealing price at $120, I would probably jump on that.

The V-125 is much like your V-76, just with a bigger amplifier. Cabinet volume, design and driver were the same.
KEF were sold. Its been a while. A tuition bill wiped me out for a bit.
So the V-76 is able to handle more power is what you are saying?

X

Xploration

Enthusiast
Well i went out auditioning today.
I heard KEF Q100 bookshelves,
Monitor audio silver Bookshelves and towers
and paradigm studio 60 v2 towers
The kefs were the best, a little bright up top, but good.
monitor had the most balanced sound of them all
paradigms were great. good sound, warm, vocals a little soft.
I might go with the paradigms

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Well i went out auditioning today.
I heard KEF Q100 bookshelves,
Monitor audio silver Bookshelves and towers
and paradigm studio 60 v2 towers
The kefs were the best, a little bright up top, but good.
monitor had the most balanced sound of them all
paradigms were great. good sound, warm, vocals a little soft.
I might go with the paradigms
Go with the Paradigms, the V2 Studio series is very good.

NO, your subwoofer cannot handle more power, it has an integral amplifier.

X

Xploration

Enthusiast
Go with the Paradigms, the V2 Studio series is very good.

NO, your subwoofer cannot handle more power, it has an integral amplifier.
Yes I understand it has an integrated amp, I was refering to you mentioning your v-125 is nearly identical to my v-76 (cabinet, driver, design) just an upped amp.

i would up buying a pair of paradigm monitor titans V5. So far i am very pleased. bought them for a very good deal.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis