1st Home Theatre Setup

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Your surround speakers are not in an great place from the looks of it. It might sound better to get some bookshelf speakers and mount them high. It's not a big deal though since the surround channels don't usually do a whole lot.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
What are your surrounds?

I like the curves. I'm partial to curvy things :D

T0mmy1977

T0mmy1977

Audioholic Intern
Your surround speakers are not in an great place from the looks of it. It might sound better to get some bookshelf speakers and mount them high. It's not a big deal though since the surround channels don't usually do a whole lot.
I think I'll put them on stands maybe 1-2' off the ground.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'll agree (sort of) then disagree (sort of) with shady. Those really aren't surround channels with the way they're set up, they're rear surround channels. If you're receiver has the option for rear surround that would be better. Also, ideally, you want them parallel with the front L/R so they form a rectangle. Looks like that would be an issue placement wise, but I think you may be able to do a little better.

The towers aren't a bad choice because it puts the drivers closer to ear level, which is good. I'll also say that it really depends on what content you're playing that determines how much is coming through the surround channels. If you're watching TV or something like that, then you probably won't hear a ton of content coming through those channels, but if you're watching blu-rays (especially movies like Avatar, Transformers, etc) you'll hear a TON of content coming through the surround channels.

T0mmy1977

T0mmy1977

Audioholic Intern
I changed the setup a little. It enabled to place the rear speakers more even with the fronts. I listen to music in 5 channel stereo, so having towers for the rears is nice.

Attachments

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Did you investigate whether your receiver has surround and rear surround, or just surround?

T0mmy1977

T0mmy1977

Audioholic Intern
Okay, so I set it up like a 5.1 is supposed to be, rather than change the speakers to surround rear. The speakers sit high, but sound just fine. I read that surround and surround rears are supposed to sit high.

Attachments

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Okay, so I set it up like a 5.1 is supposed to be, rather than change the speakers to surround rear. The speakers sit high, but sound just fine. I read that surround and surround rears are supposed to sit high.
Don't be too afraid of putting them behind you, it does reduce localization and the added distance seems to have positive effects on envelopment.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Very difficult room. Keep experimenting and try to think outside the box.

Wish I had better advice. I see a lot of potential.

Thanks for sharing.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
That is much better! I'd suggest moving them a little further back, to about half a foot behind the backrest. Closer to the 110 degrees angle in the picture below. Don't forget to rerun auto setup or recalibrate distance and levels any time you change the layout.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis