1st Home theater set up

P

phoenix2099

Audiophyte
Hello group, thanks for having me in your forum!

I have been looking at a variety of Sony HTIB, including the HTDDW660, 670, and 760. However, I just found a guy selling this set-up:

Subwoofer model WMSP-66 and speaker models MSP75, but with no receiver. Should I just get a receiver from one of the other Sony HTIBs? Like a STR-K660P or should I get a different brand? I will hooking the Receiver up to my TV, PS2 and maybe iPod. Oh and I would like to spend less than $125, if possible.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Most people around here would say not to go Sony, especially the speakers. You can usually do better. If you must get a HTIB, look at the Onkyo's. They come fairly highly recommended. Otherwise, you can put a system together that will be better yourself.

Oh, problem. I saw your budget. Is that $125 for everything, or just the receiver? If just the receiver, you could go with a sherwood 5.1 I think. With speakers too, I don't know what you could get.
Good Luck,
Pat

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
thats kind of a tight budget, if your going to go HTIB go yamaha all the way, trust me, previous Sony HTIB owner here, its good, until you hear something different. and same question, that $125 is just for the receiver right?

P

phoenix2099

Audiophyte
Yes, the $125 is for just the receiver. My total Budget is $200 with shipping, tax, etc. I took out the $65 that I was planning on spending the speaker and sub set listed above. But if there is a better set-up, or HTIB for $200, I would rather get that. As far as size goes, I am going to be using the set-up in a Dorm room.

P

phoenix2099

Audiophyte
Hey guys thanks for the help- From your advice, I narrowed it down to these two systems- Yamaha YHT-150 and the ONKYO HT-S570. I am relying simply on eBay right now, as that is the only place with prices under $200 shipped. The 570 is $185 shipped, and the Yamaha is about that.
Which would you guys recommend?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I've heard good things about the Onkyo, at least for a HTiB. I too am setting up a dorm system, but I'm building it up piece by piece. If you can wait and save up money, you can get an absolutely killer system for around $1000. Yeah, it's a lot of money now, but you can take it to your apartment a few years later (provided you don't break everything when you're really drunk and/or high).

P

phoenix2099

Audiophyte
Haha, id love to, but right now Im $18k in the whole, and its only been two years. I think after this, I am cutting myself off from commodities such as home theater systems, (I say this now lol), and am going to stick to the essentials of food, alcohol and some school stuff.... :p

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Hi phoenix. Out of those two HTIB's I"d say go with the Onkyo. Also you can get one refurbished from JR.com for $203.88 including shipping by clicking on this link. JR.com is an authorized retailer for Onkyo and you get a one year warranty.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
phoenix2099 said:
Haha, id love to, but right now Im $18k in the whole, and its only been two years.
thats not bad, thats probably about normal actually, you'll be much happier if you by it piece by piece start off with a surround receiver and just get a set of bookshelves and then start adding to it, thats what I did when I started college, now I'm in going to be in my last semester and have accumulated a decent system

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
This thread seems like the college hangout. I too am in college and built my system piece by piece, but I'm not moving past stereo. I find a good stereo system is much more satisfying than a mediocre surround system. I just keep upgrading my 2.1 setup and love it.

P

phoenix2099

Audiophyte
Taker- Thanks for the guide...

I searched and searched for a brand new version, and finally stumbled upon the 570's twin, the 8230 (i think) at Radio Shack for $200 Brand New, with free shipping. I am gonna go get that one. And thanks to all you other guys that helped out. The reason that I am getting a HTiB instead of doing it piece by piece is so that I can use this already set-up for me system to learn Home Theater Systems with. Hopefully from this I can start appreciating a really nice home theater and start getting into THD and wattage all the other technical aspects of a home theater--- I will be buying this soon, but from a Radio Shack on the East Coast (where my school is) and wont be setting it up until around September, as that is when I go back. I am sure I will be on here again getting advice then, as I know many people have discussed different cabling methods for this system!!!
Thanks tons again!

P

phoenix2099

Audiophyte
Cabling Questions

Hi all--- SO my cabling questions are starting a little earlier than anticipated.

I have the Onkyo S8230 (S570), and to it, want to hook up my PS2 (Which will also act as my DVD player), iPod and TV. For my PS2, I just have the stock A/V cables. And for my iPod, I have a cable that came with my portable set of speakers that allows me to use the iPods headphone jack to plug into the portable speakers jack. I think it is called a "like end stereo cable", but not sure. This is a link to a picture of the speakers http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/images/gold/full/m1aspkrp.jpg , with the cable that I am talking about. I dont know if I can use this cable to plug into the receiver or not.

So can you guys recommend the best way to wire this system, and what type of cables I should be looking for? I want to get cables that are one, mybe two steps above what I currently have, but dont need platinum-titanium plated stuff and all that jazz. I am looking for cables for the iPod, PS2 and TV.

Thanks

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If your receiver has component video input, then get some good Component video cables for your PS2. Then use the optical output for the sound.

For the iPod, all you need is a 1/8" to stereo RCA adapter, then just some standard RCA stereo cables.

For the VCR, use a pair of stereo RCA cables and either a composite or S-Video cable, depending on which your VCR has and what your receiver can handle.

P

phoenix2099

Audiophyte
jaxvon said:
If your receiver has component video input, then get some good Component video cables for your PS2. Then use the optical output for the sound.

For the iPod, all you need is a 1/8" to stereo RCA adapter, then just some standard RCA stereo cables.

For the VCR, use a pair of stereo RCA cables and either a composite or S-Video cable, depending on which your VCR has and what your receiver can handle.
The Onkyo I am gettin doesnt, all it has is the reg RCA cables, so I am just gonna get some Monster PS2 cables, and I found one of those cables for my iPod too. I have another question, for the monitor out cable, from the receiver to my TV, what would you recommend for that? Does the receiver come with that at all?
Brian

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
No, the receiver won't come with a monitor out cable. If all of your sources are composite video (single yellow RCA), then just use any good quality 75-ohm RCA cable.

As for the other cables, you can find cables of comparable quality for less money. Monster does make good products, but they are HORRIBLY overpriced, and I would recommend that you go with something less expensive.

P

phoenix2099

Audiophyte
Hey thanks again. Another question-- The onkyo receiver allows me to plug in component cables, but it has Subwoofer, Center, Front left and right, and Rear left and right. If I buy a component adapter for my PS2, which only has 5 cables, instead of the 6 spaces for component coming from the PS2, how would I plug the cables into the Receiver, or can I even do it? Also, if I do plug in the component cables into the receiver, but then just use a regular video cable to connect the receiver to the TV, does that keep the component qualities?
Brian

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Component is a video signal. The inputs you're talking about on your Onkyo are analog audio signal. The only way to get true surround sound from your PS2 is to use the optical output. And since your receiver doesn't switch component video (at least I think it doesn't...but I may be confusing it with another), you'd be better off going with S-Video (I think it switches that) and, if you can, optical audio.

You can always go with stereo audio and have your receiver emulate 5.1 sound though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis