18” down-firing EGG shaped sub build…

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I ordered the driver, bought the wood, and will be starting the cutting this weekend. This will be a bit of an unusual build. Some will say that it will be ugly, but the wife has given her stamp of approval, and more importantly, I like it. It should be a nice step up from my current Titanic III 15”.

The driver will be a Maelstrom-18".
Amp will be a Behringer EP4000.
EQ will be a Behringer DSP1124P Feedback Destroyer.
Using ¾” MDF to make a 5.75 cubic foot sealed enclosure (internal).
Walls to start at 2” thick and then be sanded down to maybe 1&3/4.

I don’t have any graphics software but have managed to put something together with Excel & Word. Here is a cross section of what it should end up looking like. It will be 30” wide by 35.25” high. I have noticed that with Excel, dimensions will be skewed from one computer to the next depending on settings. The width should be 85% of the height, so if you want to see it scaled properly, you may need to do some stretching of it.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Props for trying something different :) It looks like it will look a bit weird. That is going to be a LOT of sanding if you intend to get them smooth.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Props for trying something different :) It looks like it will look a bit weird. That is going to be a LOT of sanding if you intend to get them smooth.
Thanks. Got the idea walking through an art gallery in my town. Egg shapes seem to be very popular in the art world.
I will be using a router to cut at angles to match the curvature of the egg. There will still be plenty of sanding, but not as much as it looks from the diagram.
The round rings should make a very study box. (Can I still call it a box?) Shouldn't need any additional bracing.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
You're crazy. :D :)

It looks like you cut rings of MDF and glue them together in that egg shaped stack?

How much MDF did you buy?

You're crazy. :p

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
I don't mean to impose on the design, but I think the layered rings without sanding or routing of the edges would look rather cool.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Your in for A LOT of sanding as I'm sure you already know.:eek: Don't know if you've seen this guy's thread on a curved, layered enclosure for a 21" Maelstrom. Some good pointers in there.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1238601

Yes. That's the guy who won the 21"er. His design gave me ideas. A day after I was reading his thread I walked into an art gallery. I saw several egg shaped designs and a light turned on in my head.

I plan on cutting my rings at angles to match the curve. I'll still have sanding, but not as much as his. Can't wait to see his finished. You know he's getting granit cut for the top.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I don't mean to impose on the design, but I think the layered rings without sanding or routing of the edges would look rather cool.
I thought the same, but in the end, I want it to be like glass. I've had this planned for a while as a project to keep me busy while wifey and baby are out of town. Keeps me out of trouble.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
I thought the same, but in the end, I want it to be like glass. I've had this planned for a while as a project to keep me busy while wifey and baby are out of town. Keeps me out of trouble.
Yeah, that's why I got into making speaker boxes: keeps me from running out and doing random stabbings and stealing old-lady's purses.:D

Keeping it smooth sounds good too, what would be even better would be to make matching speakers as well. It'd be pretty futuristic looking if they were all black or silver.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, that's why I got into making speaker boxes: keeps me from running out and doing random stabbings and stealing old-lady's purses.:D
Whoa!:eek:
I just don't want to be bringing home any young hotties.:rolleyes:
Please... Keep building boxes!:eek:

Keeping it smooth sounds good too, what would be even better would be to make matching speakers as well. It'd be pretty futuristic looking if they were all black or silver.
That does sound cool.
The speakers I have now have a curved face. I'll be trying to match them as best I can.

Last edited:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
How low will that driver go in the box you are building?

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I have a few different types of electric sanders. It will still be work though. No way around that. The belt sander is going to be my leadoff. If that doesn't make me happy, I'll try the next until I find the one that is easiest.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
Psh... nothing. I always sand huge curves with this:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?um=1&hl=en&q=bosch+belt+sander&ie=UTF-8&cid=9590351190114643488&ei=sDrbS_jFD4myswPDxNGiAQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCAQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers

Circulars and vibrating orbitals are for fine tuning.
I build boats on the side, and restore 60's Chris crafts, and that belt sander and an electric planer are your best friends for curves.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I meant frequency:)
Buwahahahahaha.... I thought you were checking on excursion clearence.
It should give me 85 db at 10 htz with no room reinforcement and 102 to 105 db in-room response. That will be plenty for me. My main goal is to get that low with as little distortion as possible.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis