12v trigger workaround

O

ougrad02

Audioholic
My listening area is in my living room. I have a wall mounted rack for the receiver and other components. The shelves are glass and will not hold the emotiva upa-7 that I am purchasing in the near future. I was going to set the amp up in the basement and run cables from the receiver down into the basement to it. I was going to use the 12v trigger but the onkyo 705 that I have only uses the 12v trigger for zone 2. So my question is, is there another way to get it to power on when the receiver comes on? I know the 705 has a switched outlet on the back and I have seen something called a wall-wart mentioned. What exactly is a wall-wart, which would I need to buy and would it work for this situation? Thanks in advance for any help.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
You sure there is not a "control out" for zone 1?
My listening area is in my living room. I have a wall mounted rack for the receiver and other components. The shelves are glass and will not hold the emotiva upa-7 that I am purchasing in the near future. I was going to set the amp up in the basement and run cables from the receiver down into the basement to it. I was going to use the 12v trigger but the onkyo 705 that I have only uses the 12v trigger for zone 2. So my question is, is there another way to get it to power on when the receiver comes on? I know the 705 has a switched outlet on the back and I have seen something called a wall-wart mentioned. What exactly is a wall-wart, which would I need to buy and would it work for this situation? Thanks in advance for any help.

O

ougrad02

Audioholic
I don't see anything like that but I could be missing it.

N

NapaDRB

Junior Audioholic
I'm sure someone will chime in with a better explanation, but in the meantime I'll take a shot.

The "wall wart" refers to the small transformers that you plug into your 110v plug and they convert to different DC voltages, they are very common for powering small electronic devices. So you purchase the appropriate 12VDC wall wart (Radio Shack) preferably with the correct jack to plug into your amp. If not available buy the correct jack and splice to the wall wart cord.

Then plug the wall wart into a switched outlet on the back of your receiver and the jack into your amps 12v trigger and your amp should power on and off with your receiver.

T

tdamocles

Junior Audioholic
Try getting a surge protector/powerbar with a remote turn on(Monster). Use the ac outlet as the trigger. Find a 300-500ma ac/dc adapter and splice a 1/8 mono connector on the other end to plug into the powerbar. Plug the amp into it. Bingo!

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I just can't imagine the 12 volt trigger on your receiver being only for zone 2, that doesn't make any sense. Maybe there is a setting to allow you to change it to be used for zone 2, but it should be for the main zone unless somehow configured otherwise.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
He's right, according to the manual, the trigger is only used for zone 2. :eek::rolleyes::(

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
He's right, according to the manual, the trigger is only used for zone 2. :eek::rolleyes::(
Wow, I say get rid of the Onkyo and get something better. I guess you could just use the signal to turn the amp on, but that's not near as desireable as using the trigger.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis