annunaki

annunaki

After playing around with a variety of different sets, I have come to the conclusion that 120hz refreshing is a joke. All it seems to do is make the image look incredibly fake, especially with upconverted dvds. On Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies it does give a slight 3-D feel when set to low on most sets, however, I could not tolorate it if it was in my home. I would surely shut it off. It just renders the image too unrealistic. With Star Wars Episode I during the pod race scene, it looked like a cheesy PBS special with really amature cgi. Take the same player and upconvert it on my 34XBR800 and it looks fantastic and realistic.

I highly recommend a Plasma over an LCD set. Not only is the black level better in almost all cases, but you have no issues with jittery, motion blurring effects. Even a basic, decent quality, (think Panasonic) 720p plasma will give better video performance than a high dollar LCD of the same size.

LCD will need to eveolve quite a bit before I ever think about getting on board.

I am holding out for SED, maybe... someday...

In the interim, I would get a Panasonic Plasma.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
After playing around with a variety of different sets, I have come to the conclusion that 120hz refreshing is a joke. All it seems to do is make the image look incredibly fake, especially with upconverted dvds. On Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies it does give a slight 3-D feel when set to low on most sets, however, I could not tolorate it if it was in my home. I would surely shut it off. It just renders the image too unrealistic. With Star Wars Episode I during the pod race scene, it looked like a cheesy PBS special with really amature cgi. Take the same player and upconvert it on my 34XBR800 and it looks fantastic and realistic.

I highly recommend a Plasma over an LCD set. Not only is the black level better in almost all cases, but you have no issues with jittery, motion blurring effects. Even a basic, decent quality, (think Panasonic) 720p plasma will give better video performance than a high dollar LCD of the same size.

LCD will need to eveolve quite a bit before I ever think about getting on board.

I am holding out for SED, maybe... someday...

In the interim, I would get a Panasonic Plasma.
It depends on much control one has over lighting conditions of the room. LCDs fair better in brighter rooms than plasma. A friend of mine picked up a Sharp Aquos (spelling is off) LCD and I detected very negligible motion blur. This is while watching a hockey game. And the only reason I could detect it is because I made a conscious effort too.

I can't comment on the 120Hz stuff as I've never seen it in action.

annunaki

annunaki

I know that there are some advantages to LCD, mainly in terms of light output for bright rooms.

Some LCDs are better at motion blur than others, that is true, however, why even deal with it when you can get a plasma that will outperform it for less???

Glare is not an issue with some of the new sets from Panasonic with the dull finish on the glass.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I would recommend a direct-view CRT over either, if only they could be made bigger. If I replace mine, size will be the only reason, and it will be a step down in picture quality.

F

FunkIncubator

Audioholic Intern
Amen on the 120hz! My parents got a new Sony SXRD and the 120hz setting is switched on by default. I popped in the first THX DVD I could find do do the optimizer, which happened to be Toy Story. When I finished and the optimizer ran a short clip, I thought something was seriously wrong with the set or the player. It just looks so fake (imagine that, talking toys looking fake). It does 'smooth' the motion out, but it is so strange, it becomes unwatchable. I had a hunch that the highly touted 120hz was the culprit. Sony calls it 'motion enhancer' in the options menu and it only takes two clicks to turn it off. For curiosity's sake, I switched it on during a HD football game and it did not have the same objectionable affect. I couldn't tell the difference (until the commercials), so I think it's only really made for live HD content.

D

David_313

Enthusiast
i have 120hz and i love it. ya alot of up convert dvd they do look fake. but my BD looks so nice. but its all on how you have your tv set up and your BD set up too. i found that out.

K

Kilim

Audioholic Intern
Got the Samsung LN-T4069F a month ago for my apartment.
Was helping my Aunt get her a new HDTV and after 6 hours of shopping around she fell in love with the Samsung LN-T4071F.

I and my family personally love the effect that the AMP settings makes.
I guess to each their own.

As for the glare issue.
Glossy is not good for me and my family as we don't like the glare on glossy screens.
Even the latest Plasma with their new Anti-glare coating is not good enough for me as I can still notice the glare on them in a barely lit showroom.
Maybe I am just to sensitive to it.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I dont know much about the 120hz but mine is 'on' and everything looks real and awesome.

annunaki

annunaki

Greg,

If you have a DLP set, as your sig indicates, it does not need 120hz. Only LCD uses this "feature".

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Why is LCD the only technology that would use that feature? And if it is the only technology that uses that feature, then why did they add it to the mitsubishi diamond series tv's?

D

David_313

Enthusiast
Was helping my Aunt get her a new HDTV and after 6 hours of shopping around she fell in love with the Samsung LN-T4071F.
thats the same tv i have and i love it. my ps3 really likes it to.

1tribeca

Audioholic
Gotta admit...until a year ago I didn't realize the difference between Plaz & LCD. I still haven't purchased (mainly because this kid is broke!!) but I have been doing my reading/research etc.

Regardless of light conditions, I'd NEVER buy an LCD. As of 2007, I just don't see them as a realistic way to watch media...they look fake, too grey, blurry with fast motion etc. I'm referring to all I've seen too incl. Aquos, Samsung, Sony XBR4/5 the list goes on & on.

One just needs to be shown the difference between the two technologies, and I'm sure you'll be convinced. Put THE best LCD beside a Pioneer Elite (might as well compare the best right?) and you'll be shocked how crappy LCD is!!

Too much light in your room? Spend $200 on some drapes!!!! You just dropped 2k on a TV!!

D

David_313

Enthusiast
Gotta admit...until a year ago I didn't realize the difference between Plaz & LCD. I still haven't purchased (mainly because this kid is broke!!) but I have been doing my reading/research etc.

Regardless of light conditions, I'd NEVER buy an LCD. As of 2007, I just don't see them as a realistic way to watch media...they look fake, too grey, blurry with fast motion etc. I'm referring to all I've seen too incl. Aquos, Samsung, Sony XBR4/5 the list goes on & on.

One just needs to be shown the difference between the two technologies, and I'm sure you'll be convinced. Put THE best LCD beside a Pioneer Elite (might as well compare the best right?) and you'll be shocked how crappy LCD is!!

Too much light in your room? Spend $200 on some drapes!!!! You just dropped 2k on a TV!!
ya your right what a wast of money i cant be leave any one would buy lcd what a wast of time. i cant be leave they still make them.

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
I was planning on buying a Sharp Aquos LC46D82U (46" lcd 1080p 120Hz) in 5 months from now, but I guess not.
The real problem for me is, the Panasonic 50" TH50PZ77 (50" 1080p Plasma) is way out of my price range. and I am afraid the 42" TH42PZ77 (42" 1080p plasma) wont be big enough for my basement, its too bad they dont make 46"

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Am I the only one preferring LCDs over Plasmas? I don't want to fight with anobody but I think everything was said previously, you could just inverse the technologie's names and it would be my opinion.

About 120hz though... what a crappy thing though. Makes movies to look fake and you're loosing that cinema effect. Matter of tastes again.

D

David_313

Enthusiast
Am I the only one preferring LCDs over Plasmas? I don't want to fight with anobody but I think everything was said previously, you could just inverse the technologie's names and it would be my opinion.

About 120hz though... what a crappy thing though. Makes movies to look fake and you're loosing that cinema effect. Matter of tastes again.
I love me LCD and as for the 120hz i have not really seen to much that looks fake. its really on how you set your hd and bd player up. i know when i 1st got my tv started i played some bd movies i was kinda up set but then i did some reading and tunned in my tv now it looks really good.

S

spacedteddybear

Audioholic Intern
I was at a Magnolia Home Theatre the other day, and they had a pioneer elite (forgot which particular one), and a Samsung 81F (with the 120hz on) right next to each other playing the same movie simultaneously. While they both look really nice, the 81F looked a bit............. artificial. And of course, the Panny had much better and smoother blacks. When it came to overall picture quality, the plasmas looked so much better. Albeit, there are certain environmental conditions that would negate the advantages of plasmas.

V

Vivienyuan

Banned
I agree tha the plasma is better than the LCD when choosing a TV, but I think the 120hz can still make sense, they have better pictures.

It's like all the pro-plasma people jumped in this thread all at once... both have their advantages and disadvantages.

As for 120Hz, I haven't yet seen it done 100% correctly but it certainly has potential if only to eliminate judder. Right now I think the video processing isn't fast enough to really pull off 120Hz without artifacts and LCD refresh rates are still a problem.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I dont know if it needs it or not but it has it...

I had trouble making up my mnd on the display so I have a DLP, a plasma and a LCD.
Greg,

If you have a DLP set, as your sig indicates, it does not need 120hz. Only LCD uses this "feature".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis