O

ougrad02

Audioholic
Sorry if this is a dumb question :eek: but I'm curious as to what benefit, if any, the use of a 12v trigger has over using the signal sensing feature sometime found on amps? I have an Anthem MCA50 and an Onkyo 3008. As is the case with other Onkyos it only has a 12v trigger for zones 2 and 3. So I have just been using the signal sensing feature of the amp. I was considering picking up an et-3 trigger module from Emotiva so that I could use a trigger for the amp. However I wondered if it makes any difference at all in functionality in anyway. Thanks.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
The only difference I have found is the sensitivity of auto on. My Onkyo M-282 amp that I use for a zone in my house will shut off sometimes if I have the volume very low.

I also had an Emotiva MPS-1 and when using the sensor it would only turn on the channels that were getting a signal so it would click on the surrounds when a signal was there but again if it was a very low volume it would be annoying to have to hear the amp click or have a delay when the channel was coming on.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Sorry if this is a dumb question :eek: but I'm curious as to what benefit, if any, the use of a 12v trigger has over using the signal sensing feature sometime found on amps? I have an Anthem MCA50 and an Onkyo 3008. As is the case with other Onkyos it only has a 12v trigger for zones 2 and 3. So I have just been using the signal sensing feature of the amp. I was considering picking up an et-3 trigger module from Emotiva so that I could use a trigger for the amp. However I wondered if it makes any difference at all in functionality in anyway. Thanks.
As mentioned, when a 12V trigger is on, it's on. It's also necessary when an amp or other device needs that kind of trigger and unfortunately, some manufacturers have removed this feature from their receivers, thinking that removing something useful to save a little money is a good idea.

majorloser

majorloser

I personally prefer hard wired 12V triggers. You have a lot more options when dealing with preamps and processors. Not only do you have mulitple zone triggers, you can also have triggers setup for different audio formats; like 5.1 vs. 7.1 vs 2 channel audio. Some pre/pros even allow for triggers to be setup based on the input device selected. This comes in really handy for not only audio, but for front projection video where you want to trigger things like lighting or projection screens.

J

jeannot

Audioholic
Sorry if this is a dumb question :eek: but I'm curious as to what benefit, if any, the use of a 12v trigger has over using the signal sensing feature sometime found on amps?
For the amp, I see one advantage for the signal sensing: When you connect your headphones, the amp will power down.

Even my Denon, which has 2 triggers with like 23 options each including source, video format, stereo, ... does NOT have one for headphones. One option is called HPD, I thought it stood for Head Phones Detected or something like that, but not. Headphones do not affect the trigger...

I guess I should start looking a for a signal-detecting device that can provide/cut power. It really sucks to have a powerful amp ON when listening through headphones on the receiver...

Any ideeyer guys?

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I know I asked for it... :( My power amp is behind the TV, not easily accessible.
Set up zone 2 with a different set of 12v triggers and listen to headphones off zone 2?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
For the amp, I see one advantage for the signal sensing: When you connect your headphones, the amp will power down.

Even my Denon, which has 2 triggers with like 23 options each including source, video format, stereo, ... does NOT have one for headphones. One option is called HPD, I thought it stood for Head Phones Detected or something like that, but not. Headphones do not affect the trigger...

I guess I should start looking a for a signal-detecting device that can provide/cut power. It really sucks to have a powerful amp ON when listening through headphones on the receiver...

Any ideeyer guys?
Headphones don't get their signal from the preamp, they get it from the power amp.

J

jeannot

Audioholic
Set up zone 2 with a different set of 12v triggers and listen to headphones off zone 2?
I can do that? Assign the headphones to zone 2 and use them through the same jack in the receiver as I do now?

Gotta try that! Thanks!

J

jeannot

Audioholic
Headphones don't get their signal from the preamp, they get it from the power amp.
No. But they get it from the receiver power amp, even though I have an external amp.
That's why I would like the external amp to power down when I use the headphones.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis