D

dhark

Junior Audioholic
Probably a noob? But what is this used for? Is it to turn on other devices? I have a laptop cooling fan that I want to use on top of my Denon to help with heat but it's USB powered. I remember older devices used to have an extra AC outlet on the back of them for stuff like this and you would just daisy chain them and turn one on and they would all come on. Is the 12v trigger the same thing with an rca type connection?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Most would use it to turn on an external power amp that has such a trigger power on feature, so you've got the idea but it's not an rca connection, usually a 3.5mm monoaural connection. I use a usb powered fan on my Denon, your Denon has no usb port?

D

dhark

Junior Audioholic
It does on the front but I don't want that. Didn't see one on back but I'll check

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It does on the front but I don't want that. Didn't see one on back but I'll check
Mine has one in front and one in back; I use the rear one for the fan (but note that you can't use the usb input on the front at the same time as using the one on the rear).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Probably not? I use a smart power strip to power my amps/subs when I turn on my avr myself; I'd just use a wall-wart usb on that if I wanted to free up my usb port on the avr.

Would this work to power the fan from the trigger out on back?
https://www.amazon.com/Female-3-5mm-Audio-Charge-Cable/dp/B010ESHDR0
ps changed to probably not after thinking about that again this morning, it's a trigger and not even sure it does anything but create a brief pulse.....like the others are saying.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Would this work to power the fan from the trigger out on back?
https://www.amazon.com/Female-3-5mm-Audio-Charge-Cable/dp/B010ESHDR0
I doubt that any 12V trigger should be used to power anything at all!

You might be able to find info in your manual about this. I'm fairly certain that the 12V trigger provides very little current, likely just a few mA. It is really meant as a control signal (V) only.

So, you have some device (your fan, an amp, etc) that is plugged into the wall outlet for power, then the 12V trigger acts as the "On Switch" only.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Probably a noob? But what is this used for? Is it to turn on other devices? I have a laptop cooling fan that I want to use on top of my Denon to help with heat but it's USB powered. I remember older devices used to have an extra AC outlet on the back of them for stuff like this and you would just daisy chain them and turn one on and they would all come on. Is the 12v trigger the same thing with an rca type connection?
It's called a 'trigger' for a reason- it's meant to electrically 'tell' a device to do something by using it's 12VDC trigger input. Some power amps have this and it simplifies turn on now that courtesy AC outlets are no longer installed on pre-amps and receivers.

The 12V trigger circuit has a current rating and every time I have seen one, the jack had this rating printed on the chassis next to it. It won't power much of anything- they're usually rated at 125-150mA, which is enough for some relays, but they usually use something else that draws less current.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
@dhark I bought one of these C13/C14/5-15R power taps to add a powered gadget near my projector without having to run an additional power cable (although I only paid $13 for mine). Maybe if your AVR has the same C14 power input, you could use something similar? Here's one for $10.

That will, of course, supply constant power. If you prefer your accessory to power off at the same time as your AVR, then consider a smart power strip. I've got two of these to kill the power to my Roku devices when their attached displays are powered off, and they've performed flawlessly despite their low cost.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@dhark I bought one of these C13/C14/5-15R power taps to add a powered gadget near my projector without having to run an additional power cable (although I only paid $13 for mine). Maybe if your AVR has the same C14 power input, you could use something similar? Here's one for $10.

That will, of course, supply constant power. If you prefer your accessory to power off at the same time as your AVR, then consider a smart power strip. I've got two of these to kill the power to my Roku devices when their attached displays are powered off, and they've performed flawlessly despite their low cost.
I have never seen one of those before.

D

dhark

Junior Audioholic

Yea that's interesting but like you said it would supply constant power, I definitely want the fan to come on and off with the AVR. So looks like a smart power strip is the way to go. I didn't even realize these thing were available. That's how out of touch I am with today's gadgets! Thanks guys any recommendations on a good smart strip?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Yea that's interesting but like you said it would supply constant power, I definitely want the fan to come on and off with the AVR. So looks like a smart power strip is the way to go. I didn't even realize these thing were available. That's how out of touch I am with today's gadgets! Thanks guys any recommendations on a good smart strip?
"A smart power strip" was a hyperlink to my recommendation in my previous post. AH Forums ought to leave hyperlinks underlined or at least somehow obviously different from normal text. -_-

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
"A smart power strip" was a hyperlink to my recommendation in my previous post. AH Forums ought to leave hyperlinks underlined or at least somehow obviously different from normal text. -_-
They are different in color altho I'd prefer something a little more visible....I notice if I check my own link then it appears underlined on my screen after that....

highfigh

highfigh

A smart power strip won't allow the fan to stay on and cool the bulb, so that's really not a good method for shutting it down. What are you using as a remote control? If it's a URC, Harmony, RTi or one of the other brands that allow you to create macro commands and it has a 'blaster' that covers a wide area, I would recommend using that.

What model of projector are you using and is there a way to run another cable to it? if so, you can eliminate the need to count on a macro and just place an IR emitter over the sensor. Then, set it up to power off after a cool-down time if it allows.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
A smart power strip won't allow the fan to stay on and cool the bulb, so that's really not a good method for shutting it down. What are you using as a remote control? If it's a URC, Harmony, RTi or one of the other brands that allow you to create macro commands and it has a 'blaster' that covers a wide area, I would recommend using that.

What model of projector are you using and is there a way to run another cable to it? if so, you can eliminate the need to count on a macro and just place an IR emitter over the sensor. Then, set it up to power off after a cool-down time if it allows.
I never saw anything about a PJ??? He was talking about cooling his AVR :confused:

highfigh

highfigh

My fault, I'm afraid. I mentioned my projector when I was suggesting the C13/C14/5-15R AC power tap.
That's it! It's your fault! I knew I wasn't losing my mind!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis