12" Infinity Kappa VQ Build Plans

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Nice work! What are your impressions of that driver? I always thought it looked unconventional, but given how it performs, I can live with it.

SheepStar

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Nice work! What are your impressions of that driver? I always thought it looked unconventional, but given how it performs, I can live with it.

SheepStar
I like the way the drivers looks, but in all honesty could care less. I am being forced to put a grille on all the speakers once I get around to putting the veneer on them so the drivers will only be visible when I want them to be anyways.

Sadly, no work was done today since I got sick :mad: and had other obligations. I will be working tomorrow no matter what and will hopefully have final assembly done on Sunday.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I like the way the drivers looks, but in all honesty could care less. I am being forced to put a grille on all the speakers once I get around to putting the veneer on them so the drivers will only be visible when I want them to be anyways.

Sadly, no work was done today since I got sick :mad: and had other obligations. I will be working tomorrow no matter what and will hopefully have final assembly done on Sunday.
Are doctor's allowed to work sick? I know you volunteer but would they let you in?

SheepStar

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Are doctor's allowed to work sick? I know you volunteer but would they let you in?

SheepStar
I have no idea about Doctors working sick or not - it is likely up to their discretion as is with most jobs. I am on break right now in Texas working on the sub with my dads tools (and him) so it is a moot point anyways I won't be working again until next Wednesday after I have driven back to Iowa.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
So close...but so far

Well I am nearly done after 12 hours of work (most of which was spent making the port as close to perfect as possible) I have some updates.

FYI for those who don't know this is my first speaker/sub build of any sort so I might not know some techniques you guys use to make life easy - the slot port was a pain!

Here they are:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I love how you take pictures on all sorts of angles, it really speaks to me, I can relate to it...

Good work!

SheepStar

treejohnny

treejohnny

Junior Audioholic
You do great work!
I was wondering what the hole is for on top/bottom ?
Will this have legs ?
Are you using 3/4 oak plywood ?
Do you think the bracing in the driver part of box is more/less/about right ?
Will you use plate amp or rack amp ?
I am very curious as to how you will do the corners.

I will be making duplicate of your sub in the near future (PE is out of the 500w plate amp) and would appreciate any ideas or afterthoughts you can share. I am not positive on the shape of mine yet. I like your idea of rounded corners.
Did I read somewhere that you are building two of these ?

John

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I was wondering what the hole is for on top/bottom ?
The hole on the bottom is for the recess plate I plan on using to connect the sub to the amp. It is a regular Radioshack unit that cost six bucks.

Will this have legs ?
I am using small rubber feet to decouple the unit from the floor temporarily, but when there is time I plan on making an actual decoupling unit from wood and high density latex foam.

Are you using 3/4 oak plywood ?
The outer portion of the cabinet is done with 3/4" oak ply, but the rest of the bracing is done with actual 3/4" oak. The type of ply used doesn't really matter as long as it is of good quality. The oak ply was picked because it was the best of the offerings at the local hardware store.

Do you think the bracing in the driver part of box is more/less/about right ?
The bracing used in this cabinet is more than sufficient. I could have probably used significantly less bracing and still completely avoided any resonance, but this build was in part to gain an understanding of how much work would go into the speakers I am designing.

Will you use plate amp or rack amp ?
I am using an EP2500 to power this - the pics [internal] of my unit can be found here.

I am very curious as to how you will do the corners.
That is very simple. I bought pre-rounded plywood (4" radius) and plan on attaching it :D;). It can be found here.

I will be making duplicate of your sub in the near future (PE is out of the 500w plate amp) and would appreciate any ideas or afterthoughts you can share. I am not positive on the shape of mine yet. I like your idea of rounded corners.
Did I read somewhere that you are building two of these ?
I plan on posting full impressions when I get the unit working so have no worries. I will be building another, but that will have to wait as I can only do this work when visiting my parents which is a 12-14 hour drive. We simply did not have time to build both as originally (and naively) planned.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Strong work Andrew! Will it be complete by the time you leave here on Wed?

I will shoot the drink/music list to you later today.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Strong work Andrew! Will it be complete by the time you leave here on Wed?

I will shoot the drink/music list to you later today.
All the actual building should be complete today with glue drying overnight (hopefully). I won't have a chance to run the thing until I am back home because we will be leaving a few things undone - but just the ones I can do with the few tools I have.

I am actually leaving tomorrow due to a change in plans and need this thing finished today :eek:. It shouldn't have been a big deal, but last minute my sister visited during her birthday as well and I got sick so there have been a few wasted days.

In the end I expect it to be fully functional by Wednesday evening and I will be posting in room response soon after.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Do you have any pictures of the final project? What do you still have to finish up?

SheepStar

treejohnny

treejohnny

Junior Audioholic
If you are going to power the sub with the behringer, how will you tune it or fine tune the phase and crossover ? Is there a cheap circuit board you are going to put on sub or rack to do this ?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Do you have any pictures of the final project? What do you still have to finish up?

SheepStar
Pics are on there way I just made the drive back to IA last night which took 13 hours this time :(. The sub isn't completely done, but everything left I can finish here.

If you are going to power the sub with the behringer, how will you tune it or fine tune the phase and crossover ? Is there a cheap circuit board you are going to put on sub or rack to do this ?
I will be using a Behringer DCX2496 to handle all equalization and calibration of the sub - a more advanced unit is being used as it will handle the active speakers I will be building as well. I believe a BFD1124 would do everything needed for subwoofer setup.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Here are some more pics. The rounds aren't quite on yet, but I placed them there so anyone curious could get an idea of what it would look like.

Its getting there - now that I am not on break the builds will be more slow going - hopefully next week and it will be working.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Here are some more pics. The rounds aren't quite on yet, but I placed them there so anyone curious could get an idea of what it would look like.

Its getting there - now that I am not on break the builds will be more slow going - hopefully next week and it will be working.
Nice work! I bet that will be deep and powerful.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
You're my hero, that subwoofer is sexalicious.

TLS Guy, you win the award for longest signature know to forum kind.

SheepStar

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Nice work! I bet that will be deep and powerful.
It better be but just in case it isn't I will be building a second one :D.

You're my hero, that subwoofer is sexalicious.
Yeah, my girlfriend is a little intimidated, but have no worries the sub and I get our alone time ;):eek::p.

looks much simpler than the drawing! good work!
It was far from simple to build!

Just a few more spots to fill and slight touch ups. I am fortunate enough to have my girlfriend be okay with the sub being unfinished until the rest of my build is complete upon which I will be getting some veneer and doing everything at once so the monstrosity will be ply for quite a while.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis