12 core macs coming?

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I can't afford one but it would make a hell of a video workstation.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

I read they have an exclusive on the chip for at least a little while. That is unconfirmed though so don't take it as fact.

Last edited:
dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
I want one, right now.

They are really expensive though. But man, once I have an excuse to buy one of those suckers... :D

S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
I already told you about the 6 core processors a while back. They're nothing new, and there have been good dual processor motherboards out for a while that support them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117176

The next big thing is the 8 core processors that just came out. 18 Ghz of processing power in 1 processor:eek:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115063

Get 2 of those bad boys in 1 computer, and NASA would be calling to borrow it. :cool:

If you're an AMD guy, there is a 12 core processor as well

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819105267&cm_re=Opteron_processor-_-19-105-267-_-Product

But as always apple is 1 step behind the game.:D

By the way did you see the CNET video for the "antennagate" Press conference with Jobs. That was a laughable experience. I love how he talks about their $100M+ antenna testing facility, and that is the only true way to test an antenna without outside interference and get accurate results. And when they show the other phones with "signal issues" they are sitting in a room with people walking around in the background. Hardly seems like a scientific test to me. Probably did it in a shielded room that has a switch.
And their claim that the reception bar was "miscalculated" was about a joke. To high on their high horse to admit they made a mistake.
Sorry for the hijacked thread, but I just had to.
-Greg

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Those seem to be older and don't have the same clock speeds. Also wicked expensive as well. Would cost you more to build a 12 core system than to get the Macpro. For those who need it, the Macpro looks to be a pretty good deal. These chips that Apple is using are supposed to be brand new by intel. So they are far from behind the times as you put it. Is anyone else selling 12 core systems right now. Dell, Acer, HP, Sony, Alienware? I am not talking about building your own I am talking about Apples competition. You seem to confuse the two.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Nothing special here...these CPU's have been out since March. The 12 core is running 2 Xeon Westmere-EP CPU's. Just server/workstation versions of the i7's. I'm not sure what application in which this PC would be useful. Other than video rendering, and that would be somewhat of a waste....you would be better off building a rendering cluster that you can add/remove nodes from. Especially given the fact that most rendering is going to GPGPU anyway.

Just another "Hey look we have the newest stuff, but you won't be able to upgrade any of it when the newer stuff comes out in a few weeks....." from Apple.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
This is one the best descriptions of Apple I came across lately. Its not really bashing them either other than the fact I read this in a Bose owners thread. :D :eek:

"Both are boutique retailers offering more stylized products at a higher premium than similar/better performing competition."

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
You could slap two opteron 6128's on a server board and have a complete 16 core system for under 1500 bucks.

Albeit those cpu's in that macbook would run 1500 bucks a piece each for their highest tier option.

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
I am not talking about building your own I am talking about Apples competition. You seem to confuse the two.
Isn't anything that would prevent you from a sale considered competition? I think it is silly to think that only company that sell prebuilt are considered competition. I guess what I am trying to say is building your own computer IS competition to Apple.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Isn't anything that would prevent you from a sale considered competition? I think it is silly to think that only company that sell prebuilt are considered competition. I guess what I am trying to say is building your own computer IS competition to Apple.
Couldn't disagree more.

Apple markets simplicity; and targets customers with ease of use and functionality and some high end niche customers that are apple snobs anyways. Someone trying to choose between a mac or DIY option would be the anomaly.

Corvettes don't compete with rice rockets. Different end user.

S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
Those seem to be older and don't have the same clock speeds. Also wicked expensive as well. Would cost you more to build a 12 core system than to get the Macpro. For those who need it, the Macpro looks to be a pretty good deal. These chips that Apple is using are supposed to be brand new by intel. So they are far from behind the times as you put it. Is anyone else selling 12 core systems right now. Dell, Acer, HP, Sony, Alienware? I am not talking about building your own I am talking about Apples competition. You seem to confuse the two.
I already hit you with the facts in the ipad thread, you can build a much better system for far less money than apple could ever sell their products for. I already issued the challenge that I could at any level of their price and performance, build a better system for less money. I guess I will have to prove you wrong again.

Their 12 core system starts at a laughable $5000. Shouldn't be hard to beat.

Start with this motherboard. Supports up to 192Gb of memory:eek: $590

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182174

2 of these 2.8 Ghz 6 core $1226 each x2 $2452

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117230

24Gb memory kit 3x8Gb $860

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161381

A great graphics card to sweeten the deal $540

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130558

Add a power supply, a case, rom, and hard drive, and your at $5000
I highly doubt that their offering for $5000 will come with processors this fast, or 24Gb of memory for that matter. Much less a $540 graphics card. And you could always pass on the graphics card and spring for another 24Gb of memory,:cool: not that you would ever really need that much.

Just a simple fact is that 80%+ of the people who need and use these kinds of server/ workstations build them custom from individual parts. As a matter of fact, nearly 80% of everyone I have ever known has either built their own computer or had me or someone else build it for them. It is a widely known fact that you get more bang for the buck by building a custom system, rather than buying from a computer manufacturer.

When this mac pro is released here in august, I will bring this thread back up and compare the specs. I promise you they will be far from this setup.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Just another "Hey look we have the newest stuff, but you won't be able to upgrade any of it when the newer stuff comes out in a few weeks....." from Apple.
Can you really fault them for putting it a nice tidy package for those who really don't understand computers but want extreme performance. Just because they market something effectively doesn't make them the bad guy.

The bose comparison is humorous, but is off base in terms of performance characteristics. We all know BOSE provides almost no value for the money. Apple makes a good product at a fair price. Anybody trying to argue that is just looking to pick fights.

dkane360

dkane360

I already hit you with the facts in the ipad thread, you can build a much better system for far less money than apple could ever sell their products for. I already issued the challenge that I could at any level of their price and performance, build a better system for less money. I guess I will have to prove you wrong again.
Why does every thread about a mac start into a debate with you? This isn't some contest where you have to win, because you won't. No one will win this argument because everyone has different tastes.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Apple makes a good product at a fair price. Anybody trying to argue that is just looking to pick fights.
Not true. They offer a good product that is overpriced when you look at their computer segment. And I can only say that since the last few years when they moved to the Intel platform. You can now make a direct clock for clock comparison between a Mac and a PC. Aesthetics aside, clock for clock a Mac is drastically more expensive than a PC.

But I would say that each have their place and the market has proven that. Mac makes what certain people crave. I've been using an fixing both Mac's and PC's for a long time, Windows doesn't make PC's, so you have a hodge podge of PC manufacturers competing with each other which creates the low prices. Mac doesn't have any competition in the computer market at all, only in the mobile devices market, hence the high prices. They can charge whatever they want and they know it. Thats what bothers me about Mac, at least they incorporate very good engineering into their products.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Apple markets simplicity.
No, they market trends and form over function.

Apple makes a good product at a fair price. Anybody trying to argue that is just looking to pick fights.
No one needs to pick a fight to argue that Apple provides minimal value for the money. The value in Apple is in their "applications-for-dummies" approach to software, and even then, they're simply catering to the masses that don't like to step out of their tiny comfort zone. There is no value in their hardware, period.

S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
Why does every thread about a mac start into a debate with you? This isn't some contest where you have to win, because you won't. No one will win this argument because everyone has different tastes.
Why does it always turn into a debate? Because there are always people turning it into a debate. I was simply stating a fact that the dual 6 core servers were nothing new, and people had to start acting like apple was the only place they would ever be. And saying apple is getting "special" processors made just for them. That is just simply just a plain pile of hogwash, and needed to be addressed. People just try their best to place apple up on a golden pedestal, when in all reality they are just another dell with some flashy products.

"Apple markets simplicity; and targets customers with ease of use and functionality and some high end niche customers that are apple snobs anyways. Someone trying to choose between a mac or DIY option would be the anomaly.

Corvettes don't compete with rice rockets. Different end user."

They target there customers alright, bend on over while we affix this target to your hind end. Well welcome to the world of anomaly.

The rice rocket is the mac right. And the Corvette is the better cheaper faster custom build right.:cool::D:D:D

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Why does it always turn into a debate? Because there are always people turning it into a debate. I was simply stating a fact that the dual 6 core servers were nothing new, and people had to start acting like apple was the only place they would ever be. And saying apple is getting "special" processors made just for them. That is just simply just a plain pile of hogwash, and needed to be addressed. People just try their best to place apple up on a golden pedestal, when in all reality they are just another dell with some flashy products.

"Apple markets simplicity; and targets customers with ease of use and functionality and some high end niche customers that are apple snobs anyways. Someone trying to choose between a mac or DIY option would be the anomaly.

Corvettes don't compete with rice rockets. Different end user."

They target there customers alright, bend on over while we affix this target to your hind end. Well welcome to the world of anomaly.

The rice rocket is the mac right. And the Corvette is the better cheaper faster custom build right.:cool::D:D:D
I'm so happy that I can officially discount any future post that you make.

I was on the fence, this post took care of that.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
...... Aesthetics aside........
.....Mac makes what certain people crave. ......
..........at least they incorporate very good engineering into their products.
You can't put aesthetics aside. Thats a key value point for some.
Comparing hardware to hardware, I see your point. Last I checked, there's a whole lot more to a computer than just components, though.

Your last sentence kind of makes my point.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
From what I have seen, people that actually know how to use this much CPU horsepower don't use Mac's, unless their company is buying the Mac and has lots and lots of money to throw down the toilet. Nobody wants a machine that puts out this much heat sitting on their desk or by their feet.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
You can't put aesthetics aside. Thats a key value point for some.
Comparing hardware to hardware, I see your point. Last I checked, there's a whole lot more to a computer than just components, though.

Your last sentence kind of makes my point.
Well thats kinda my point....I can see factoring aesthetics into a laptop. A high end workstation however I cannot....maybe at like an art studio...or something? IDK, I just can't see spending extra coin on something like this when horsepower is clearly the goal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis