12,000 ft./3 room. Multi-sub help needed please

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
I’ve read Gene’s sticky on “Home Theater Multiple Subwoofer Set-Up & Calibration Guide” (and others) and have watched numerous video's provided by them, but what really determines the need for multiple subs?

Is it the need for BASS or am I correct in assuming it's based on room size, or both.

My living space is quite large with a volume of about 12,000 ft./3.

I have multiple elec. outlets but it may be difficult to run 12ga. twisted pair wire, let alone shielded cable, hence the look at wireless.

What’s your take on various wireless subs and the best way to approach this problem regarding sizes and speaker design?

Initially I was looking at the Denon X4100w but I see so many using pre/pro.
("Like a dog chasing it's tail")

I’ve got more questions on this topic but your basic input will help me for now.

Thanks in advance.

FYI. Tiles floors, concrete walls and limited resources here in Thailand with NO in home auditioning or return policy.

Surrounds in the pics may be moved to the back wall mounted at the soffits based on others advice.
lg. Speaker measurements.jpg new elev.jpg right side.JPG left side.JPG

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I’ve read Gene’s sticky on “Home Theater Multiple Subwoofer Set-Up & Calibration Guide” (and others) and have watched numerous video's provided by them, but what really determines the need for multiple subs?

Is it the need for BASS or am I correct in assuming it's based on room size, or both.

My living space is quite large with a volume of about 12,000 ft./3.

I have multiple elec. outlets but it may be difficult to run 12ga. twisted pair wire, let alone shielded cable, hence the look at wireless.

What’s your take on various wireless subs and the best way to approach this problem regarding sizes and speaker design?

Initially I was looking at the Denon X4100w but I see so many using pre/pro.
("Like a dog chasing it's tail")

I’ve got more questions on this topic but your basic input will help me for now.

Thanks in advance.

FYI. Tiles floors, concrete walls and limited resources here in Thailand with NO in home auditioning or return policy.

Surrounds in the pics may be moved to the back wall mounted at the soffits based on others advice.
View attachment 16314 View attachment 16313 View attachment 16316 View attachment 16317
As for the need for multiple subs, what really determines that is room acoustics. If your room causes the acoustics to have lot of summations and cancellations in bass, this will create a very rocky frequency response. What you want to do is add subs in spots where they shore up the cancellations or 'room nulls' from the first sub. More subs do help elevate headroom, but if all we wanted was headroom, we could get just one large sub and it would do as well, but a single sub, no matter how large, can not deal with room modes.

Wireless connections can work, but in an environment with a lot of EM noise, it can also be a problem.

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
As for the need for multiple subs, what really determines that is room acoustics. If your room causes the acoustics to have lot of summations and cancellations in bass, this will create a very rocky frequency response. What you want to do is add subs in spots where they shore up the cancellations or 'room nulls' from the first sub. More subs do help elevate headroom, but if all we wanted was headroom, we could get just one large sub and it would do as well, but a single sub, no matter how large, can not deal with room modes.

Wireless connections can work, but in an environment with a lot of EM noise, it can also be a problem.
Shady,

Being tiled floors and concrete walls the house already has acoustical issues (slap echo) that I hoped to deal with after the install. Room nulls, summations and cancellations are pretty much greek to me and the more I read the more my head spins.
I've read a lot, and watched enough Gene and Hugo vids to feel part of their extended family.

So where do I start?. One or two large ported subs at the front by the mains and try to figure out from there? I can get smallish items i.e. spl and whatever from eBay even though the shipping costs will probably be s much or more than the items themselves.

There seems to be no simple solutions.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yes, start with a couple subs try various placements. Use an SPL meter to see what achieves the flattest response.

Is there anyone around you who can do woodwork with a CNC machine? I ask because the cost of shipping a ported sub to Thailand would be crazy high, might be more sensible to have someone build a cabinet that you can just drop a driver and amp into.

It's going to be expensive for you either way, sorry to say.

elwaylite

elwaylite

Audioholic
Id start with at least two. I am using dual FV15HP's in an area good for over 7000cuft and I could use another after running compression sweeps. Id go 15" or 18" and ported, and spread the first two out as much as possible depending on sub crawl results.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, start with a couple subs try various placements. Use an SPL meter to see what achieves the flattest response.

Is there anyone around you who can do woodwork with a CNC machine? I ask because the cost of shipping a ported sub to Thailand would be crazy high, might be more sensible to have someone build a cabinet that you can just drop a driver and amp into.

It's going to be expensive for you either way, sorry to say.
I agree whole heartedly, but will slightly modify your statement to, "anyone whom can do woodworking at all". Box building is standard to anyone who has built kitchen cabinets. But Shady is right, shipping will likely be absurdly/prohibitively expensive!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis