1080p at CEDIA 720p at CEDIA

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hello All

Here is a very brief summary of what I was able to view at CEDIA
1080p DLP
Mitsubishi WD 73727 This was probably the best-looking rear proj DLP at CEDIA. The colors were vibrant I detected no FPN,banding,MPEG artifacting or RBE

Toshiba All models
These did not look that great they all suffered from FPN, RBE and MPEG artifacting

Samsung All models
Again I was not impressed I detected horizontal tearing and banding and lost of FPN

LG
The 71" LCOS Looked absolutely wonderful standing 5 feet away I was satisfied with the Image

JVC
DILA looked very good this year and the H-D70FH96 looked great

Sharp
The LC-65D 90U is the new 65" LCD This was the best image I viewed at the show and for $20k it better be

Sony
All of the Sony flat panels and DLP's looked like crap no other way to put it

Hitachi
All of there displays looked good, but 720p - Yawn!

Projectors

The Sony VPL-VW-100 looked great at times and dismal at other times
Most likley source related but at $10k they better know how to show it off

The Yamaha DPX-1300 looked bad the first day of CEDIA and Awesome the
Second day of CEDIA

Dwin TV-4 looked very good

The Infocus 777 3 chip DLP looked outstanding but at $14999 it should

The TI demo of 1080p looked amazing but I don’t know what front projector they were using because it was a proto type

Runco 1 hour wait to get in to demo Sorry Sammy no can do, feet already tired and Tom has my precious tennis shoes

Optoma displayed their new Big Vizion 100” 1080p DC-3 rear projection system. It looked phenomenal claimed contrast ratio is 5000:1

Panasonic showed a dead non-working 900u I was not going to trudge across the city to get a demo. I had been trapped by Infocus for 2 hours and then told no reporting once was enough.

Star of the show
Mitsubishi HC300U 1280x768 DC-3 front projector
At $2995 this will be a hit and it looked phenomenal

Final thoughts for video:
Manufacturers better get their act together and learn how to set up their displays. Very few looked good. I would say that most looked like hell.
I am calling it like I viewed it - and that's tough luck for them. I hope we can get some review samples so we can give better details on real performance (and not what may be attributable to a bad source). ;)

Pat on the back to Infocus, Mitsubishi, Dwin, Yamaha, JVC and Optoma
The rest need to hire a set-up person :rolleyes:

I am sure I left some out. Questions?

REWJR

REWJR

Junior Audioholic
You missed the EPSON 800 720P D5 panel with 5000:1 CR and a blazing 1600 ANSI looking forward to their 1080P model next year...

The Sony VPL-W100 was as you descibed it although I think there DRC scaler is is to blame and is a peice of crap . Just add a Silicon-Optix 1080P scaler to it and viola you have a package that is in the hunt ...

I am not a fan of DLP ( rainbows , 7 or 8 segment color wheels etc ) and the Yamaha was pricey at $12.5 K US but it did come with an HQV scaler inside and created a bit of buzz with other manufacturers beating a path to the HQV Realta / Silicon-Optix room...:)

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hello
I saw the Epson small screen and all 720p D-5 at that price I am not sure
about yet. Panasonic,Hitachi and Sanyo have all annouced models that will soon be in the market place I guess time will tell ;) Thanks for reminnding me about the Epson :)

H

hyabusha

Audiophyte
RLA, what was playing on the Mits 73727? How far did you stand from It? Was there alot of people looking at It? Did you check the settings? was there any glare or reflection on the screen? Thanks RLA I'm very excited to recieve mine this week. Thanks :D

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
RLA, what was playing on the Mits 73727? How far did you stand from It?
Hello
I viewed this from all angles and distances and it-looked fantastic I did not
Go into the user menu because the Mitsubishi rep was hovering over it like
Tom and my tennis shoes :D You will not be disappointed If I were you, I would be walking down my street every 10 minutes to see if the freight truck is coming. :p

H

hyabusha

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply RLA, I'm upgrading from a Hitachi 65xwx20 RPTV. This Is my first DLP tv and I'll be sitting 9 feet from It! TV heaven here I come. :p

cam

cam

Audioholic
I'm kinda bummed out about the Toshiba models, I had been eyeing the 720P models (thought they looked great) thinking that the 3 new 1080P models would be outstanding. I guess I will keep an eye on other models. Unfortunatly, I don't believe there are any Mitsubishi dealers here in Canada or atleast on the west coast. Maybe I'm wrong. :(

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks for the update Ray.

Two questions:
"Sharp The LC-65D 90U is the new 65" LCD This was the best image I viewed at the show and for $20k it better be "

How were the black levels? Are the high end LCD's getting close to plasma in regards to black levels? Any news of a 1080P 37"? Or a 55" to round out the series?

"The Infocus 777 3 chip DLP looked outstanding but at $14999 it should "

This sounds quite tasty especially at that price. :D Was it 1080P? Anyone else coming out with 3 chip DLP at 1080P in this price range?

Thanks

REWJR

REWJR

Junior Audioholic
This sounds quite tasty especially at that price. Was it 1080P? Anyone else coming out with 3 chip DLP at 1080P in this price range?
SIM2 C3X was better display with truly amazing black levels and a blazing 2500 ANSI allowing 120" PQ which easily could go bigger ...They had 3 diiferent lense options starting at $18K ...

LikeABanshee

LikeABanshee

Audioholic Intern
And then there were two

I have been deciding between 1080p's from Mitsu, Samsung, and Toshiba.
Just checked out the new Toshiba 1080p DLP 62MX195 in person - it looks like crap. It may even be worse than their 720p models (maybe not that bad).
I can confirm RLA's observation of FPN, RBE and MPEG artifacting. There was a 720p broadcast streaming through all of the sets (Sears Electronics). Throroughly disappointing.

D

DaveT

Audiophyte
Mitsubishi 1080p

Has the RBE improved over the 720p models? I just purchased a WD-62725 (720p), but I pick up the RBE with a regularity. I'm probably going to be returning it if the 1080p is better at reducing RBE.

T

tdeluce

Audioholic
cam said:
I'm kinda bummed out about the Toshiba models, I had been eyeing the 720P models (thought they looked great) thinking that the 3 new 1080P models would be outstanding. I guess I will keep an eye on other models. Unfortunatly, I don't believe there are any Mitsubishi dealers here in Canada or atleast on the west coast. Maybe I'm wrong. :(
I would recommend going and seeing them yourself in
person. There were a lot of complaints that many of
the sets were not set up well at CEDIA. Make sure
they are in default movie or cinema mode and hook
up a good quality DVD player and play a DVD you are
very famiiar with. Also make sure the HD feed is being
fed via HDMI and that good quality source material is
being used.

I have found that basing decisions on what people see at
CES and CEDIA is absolutely the worst possible thing to do.
The vendors tend to play content that does not show
weaknesses and some are much better at doing this
than others. Find a store where you can evaluate
a couple of your choices side by side and bring along
content that you are very familiar with.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
This is completely opposite of what I and many of my colleges concluded at this years CEDIA event We feel like many of the manufactures were in a contest to show and set up their displays in the worst possible manner :D

You are correct in your assessment that a trade show is not a good place to demo but with new product announcements and early views it is all we have to base our opinions on ;)

I viewed RBE on many of the new 1080p sets
I viewed the Mitsubishi for a very long time because I was very impressed with the image. During that time I did not see any RBE. The Mitsubishi was one of the best looking sets at the show If this was based on the fact that the manufacture had the display set up correctly and feeding it a good source so be it. We can only report on what we viewed, until we get a model for a detailed formal review we will have to rely on shows for evaluation.

T

tdeluce

Audioholic
RLA said:
This is completely opposite of what I and many of my colleges concluded at this years CEDIA event We feel like many of the manufactures were in a contest to show and set up their displays in the worst possible manner :D

You are correct in your assessment that a trade show is not a good place to demo but with new product announcements and early views it is all we have to base our opinions on ;)

I viewed RBE on many of the new 1080p sets
I viewed the Mitsubishi for a very long time because I was very impressed with the image. During that time I did not see any RBE. The Mitsubishi was one of the best looking sets at the show If this was based on the fact that the manufacture had the display set up correctly and feeding it a good source so be it. We can only report on what we viewed, until we get a model for a detailed formal review we will have to rely on shows for evaluation.
No agrument here :)

Just would highly recommend those considering a set
to check the set for themselves due the very things
you point out above. I have spent considerable time
with both the Mits 52 in. 1080p DLP and the 61 in.
Samsung 1080p DLP and find that when in default movie
or cinema modes they both look great and very
comparable. Excellent shadow detail and the best
blacks I have seen from a non-CRT.

The Sammy seems to have a slightly sharper image and
the Mits seems to handle poor source material better.
Both are pretty much in the same ball park. I choose
the Samsung since I have a tube for watching SD
broadcast and only use the Sammy for Hi-Def and
DVDs - AWESOME PQ...

I haven't seen rainbows on either one but I am not the best
judge since I have never seen a DLP rainbow...

P.S. What I meant regarding selective content is, for example, JVC showing only bright nature scenes in a bright environment so that it makes it extremely
difficult if not impossible to judge blacks levels and
consequently contrast ratios.

Most reports coincide with yours about being in a contest
to adjust the displays as bad as possible...

cam

cam

Audioholic
Thanks for the advice tdeluce, I will definetly be checking out all 1080p DLP's and coming to my own conclusion. Hell, I will be assuming the remote and checking out all possible picture settings it has. Probably take an hour or so, I'm sure the sales guy will be sick and tired of me by the time I'm through.

T

tdeluce

Audioholic
cam said:
Thanks for the advice tdeluce, I will definetly be checking out all 1080p DLP's and coming to my own conclusion. Hell, I will be assuming the remote and checking out all possible picture settings it has. Probably take an hour or so, I'm sure the sales guy will be sick and tired of me by the time I'm through.
That's o.k. - make him *earn* your business - he might
learn a thing or two while you are at it :)

REWJR

REWJR

Junior Audioholic
I have found that basing decisions on what people see at
CES and CEDIA is absolutely the worst possible thing to do.
weaknesses and some are much better at doing this
than others.
This is very good advice and words to heed when listening to so called show observations . This is what we call weighting the factors and having a properly calibrated display showing all kinds of DVD and HDTV material via HDMI input is the recommended approach.

Also try to simulate your room environment as close as possible when determing if the display is right for you ie: Media room with bright environment vs basement HT room with controlled lighting.

The there is also the screen material ( grey , matt white or hi-gain ) plus sizing and aspect ratios ( 4:3 , 16 :9 or 2.35:1 ) to consider ...

For some of us who were lucky enough to see Anamorphic autoscoping diplaying constant height variable width when switching from 16:9 HDTV to 2.35:1 DVD widescreen movies all I can say is I want one .

Prismasonic Anamorphic lenses -
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=578367

Last edited:
I

izub

Audioholic Intern
HP MD6580n

RLA(or anyone else)can you comment on this tv It's new from HP 65 " 1080p; all cabling on the front! Very Cool... Sound and Vision said it is an awesome set ..How does this stack up to the Mits/Samsung et al in your opinion? Thanks for reply.....

LikeABanshee

LikeABanshee

Audioholic Intern
Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis