$100k Bookshelf Speaker or a New Mercedes?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I just test drove the new 4 cylinder AMG C43 Seadan. Gobs of tech, but missing the two cylinders. That being said, I would take a 100k Mercedes over 100K speakers, though the speakers probably depreciate less lol
But 50 years later, the Mercedes would be worth a lot more as a collection item, if not over driven, well maintained and in very good aesthetic condition.

Last edited:
M

MandM

Junior Audioholic
I'm sure for a 1/100th of asking price you can get something that performs just as good if not better. But hey a sucker is born every minute.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Based on the audiophool brands in that first paragraph (Nordost, Ansuz particularly....not particularly familiar with Raidho or Aavik but sounds like more audiophoolery afoot with Borreson doing the cryogenics thing), can't imagine much value involved here. Emperor's clothes type value perhaps. I wouldn't buy another Mercedes particularly either. Much better things to do with $100k.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I think if you're going to keep it geared towards Home theater, would you rather spend $100k on these bookshelf speakers OR get a Christie Griffyn AS projector? The answer is easily the projector. I can guarantee that the grand majority of people on this site would be blown away from the Christie Griffyn projector, more so than the $100k overpriced bookshelf speakers. :p

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
"Cryogenic treatment of all metal components of the loudspeaker results in a further significant improvement in conductivity – unleashing finest and most subtle musical details. When metal components undergo cryogenic processing, they are subjected to extreme cooling. In the wake of this process, the crystal structure of the metal contracts more and more. Alloying elements are pushed out of the grain structure of the metal, which now becomes very similar to a monocrystal. These structural changes in the metal have a profound effect on its audio properties, resulting in an increase of conductivity by 6-8%."

"All metal components of these speaker series undergo cryogenic treatment. The cryogenic processing cycle requires a 3-day-time window. Within the first 24 hours, the metal undergoes a cooling process from room temperature to cryogenic temperatures. During the second 24 hours, the metal parts are held at temperatures around -196°C (-321°F) before the temperature, within the next 24 hours, returns gradually to room temperature. The gradual cooling and heating is critical to avoid any thermal stress. The process strengthens and compresses the grain structure of the metal components and reduces inherent residual stress that occurs when metal solidifies from its liquid phase to a solid phase."

Wow. I wonder if they lowered the temperature even further if they could achieve a 10-12% increase in conductivity. I guess that will probably be in their next version of the speakers.
Thanks for taking the time to read & quote all that BS about cryogenic treatment of "all metal components of the loudspeaker". It saved my time, and that of others too. I have to wonder what they meant by "all metal components". Copper wire is known to become a superconductor (close to zero resistance) at very low temperature, below below 4.2° Kelvin (-452.11°F, -268.95°C). You can get temperatures that low with liquid Helium. Similar temps affect electromagnets too. Was that what they meant by all metal components?

A major problem with that quote is that superconductivity occurs only while at very low temperatures. As soon as you raise the temperature, the metal looses it's superconducting properties.

Temporary cryogenic treatment at a temperature of -196°C (-321°F), accomplishes nothing. If memory serves me, that's the temperature you get with liquid Nitrogen – more abundant & much cheaper than liquid Helium. If the crystal grain structure changes permanently after that treatment (I'm not sure, but it might), it has never been shown to affect any speaker sound qualities we can hear. It's gee-whiz advertising copy, not science.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Someone commented about the $100k price for bookshelf speakers. Does the price include speaker stands? What would floorstanding speakers with similar build features cost?

For $100k, I expect a speaker to defy gravity – levitating between the floor and ceiling.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Anything I pay $100,000 for that isn't a house would have to have 4 wheels on it.

D

Dan Nagar

Audiophyte
any measurments ?
dont understend why at this caliber of pricing we rarly see measurments

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
any measurements ?
don't understand why at this caliber of pricing we rarely see measurements.
Because the subjectivists would say: "You can't hear measurements."

D

Dan Nagar

Audiophyte
Sure they will .

But , it looks like a very technically driven brand.
any technical data will be nice :)

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
But 50 years later, the Mercedes would be worth a lot more as a collection item, if not over driven, well maintained and in very good aesthetic condition.
Maybe so but that’s a long time away be lucky if anyone is around by then .
any measurments ?
dont understend why at this caliber of pricing we rarly see measurments
So few buyers, they’re usually bought by those who aren’t worried about performance charts . Bought by the rich obviously.. I’ll never afford anything this pricey .

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I think it´s cool ...... I am planning to visit Michel Børresen and Lars Kristensen this summer at the factory :cool:
And my wife is even more eager than me to meet-up there and listen to music!

Hmmm. each piston on an F1 engine cost $65.000 ... I never hear anyone calling these guys doing snake oil!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis