$100k Bookshelf Speaker or a New Mercedes?

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
woah nice .
Not something you can ever afford here unless you make 100k a year .here , most jobs pay unlivable wages .
You can’t afford that on $100k/year here unless you live in your mom’s basement

J

John1000

Audiophyte
In regards to the central premise stated: "If Magico can sell its new flagship M9 loudspeaker for an astonishing $750,000 per pair, the sky’s the limit." - they in point of fact very obviously & very demonstrably, cannot & are not. It's not remotely clear if even in the immense fullness of time they can sell a negligible one or two (rather then having them as semi-permanent demonstrators). What they can do (& all know - but the writer is pretending he's somehow forgotten) is implementing the tried & true formula of creating an outrageously priced speaker that they then can create a substantially less expensive version of, using the same technology that's substantially as good (making it look like a relative bargain - if one really squints). The M7 in this instance which (coincidentally?) is the same price a the Wilson XVX, in turn based on the outrageously priced, original Chronosonic. A formula & marketing technique Wilson also borrowed from numerous others who also borrowed it. As to who was first, well that has to to go back to at least Infinity in the 70s but I'm sure (in audio in this instance) goes much further back still.

This is the tried & the proven way one markets to the bottom half of the 1%. The top half still have at least some smaller rooms to contend with often enough, as well as needing minimal WAF & that, in the end - is where the M1 fits into the scheme of things. When that gets old, a subwoofer or two comes into the picture.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
In regards to the central premise stated: "If Magico can sell its new flagship M9 loudspeaker for an astonishing $750,000 per pair, the sky’s the limit." - they in point of fact very obviously & very demonstrably, cannot & are not. It's not remotely clear if even in the immense fullness of time they can sell a negligible one or two (rather then having them as semi-permanent demonstrators). What they can do (& all know - but the writer is pretending he's somehow forgotten) is implementing the tried & true formula of creating an outrageously priced speaker that they then can create a substantially less expensive version of, using the same technology that's substantially as good (making it look like a relative bargain - if one really squints). The M7 in this instance which (coincidentally?) is the same price a the Wilson XVX, in turn based on the outrageously priced, original Chronosonic. A formula & marketing technique Wilson also borrowed from numerous others who also borrowed it. As to who was first, well that has to to go back to at least Infinity in the 70s but I'm sure (in audio in this instance) goes much further back still.

This is the tried & the proven way one markets to the bottom half of the 1%. The top half still have at least some smaller rooms to contend with often enough, as well as needing minimal WAF & that, in the end - is where the M1 fits into the scheme of things. When that gets old, a subwoofer or two comes into the picture.
Hmmm .... the Wilson´s ... looks like pretty ordinary off the shelf ScanSpeak revelator and illuminator driveres, this is not even the top-of-the line of what ScanSpeak does, relatively old-tech, not the latest and best of what ScanSpeak does? Yes the cabinet material is proprietary, but ..... so where is the big value in these speakers?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
'The' most butt ugly front grill in the automotive world ! Sadly BMW is starting to follow suit .....
That grille is sexy on that particular car, although Lexus grilles were pretty awful looking in many of their SUVs (although I think they are starting to temper their grille design a bit). I think their grilles work for their sedans, however. Some of the newer BMW frontal designs have been absolut horror shows.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That grille is sexy on that particular car, although Lexus grilles were pretty awful looking in many of their SUVs (although I think they are starting to temper their grille design a bit). I think their grilles work for their sedans, however. Some of the newer BMW frontal designs have been absolut horror shows.
I totally agree with you on the Lexus. Love it!

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
"If Magico can sell its new flagship M9 loudspeaker for an astonishing $750,000 per pair,
And yes they do sell, But not in Australia. With the low exchange rates it converts to 1.1 million dollars. We have one dealer for Magico here., in Melbourne.

As for Wilson. They seem to come with some sort of over rated refinement. Reserved for the well to do, again there is only one dealer this time in Sydney. The fact there cow's of things to drive and seem to be very selective with there amplification doesn't seem to affect there sales. Even though I've been in the High-end game for many years I've yet to meet a Wilson owner, or heard them in reality. Plenty of U-tube video's around

As for your question / comment with regard to Scan-Speak speakers, while there very good I've used them for many years . there R2904-700000 Ring Radiator Tweeter is in a class of it's own, and there is nothing that comes close to it's performance. And while they might be considered expensive. You only get what you pay for. At one time there retail cost here was close to a thousand dollars a pair.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I think the BMW grill looks great on the 7 series but it’s a big enough car to handle it, just too much in the 3 & 5

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Cars seem to all look the same these days. And some of the BMW grills really look terrible.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Completely subjective and I'm firmly in the , 'it's butt ugly' crowd. On the other hand my buddy who owns auto body shop loves them and I suspect you know why ! ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis