Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm looking for a good candidate 8" to try and build a compact TL sub.
I'm entering this thread kind of late…

I'm generalizing here, but there are compact subs and TL subs, but I can't think of a compact TL sub. There may be an exception, but I can't think of it. I guess it comes down to what you mean by compact.

Usually subwoofer drivers are designed from the start to work best in sealed or ported cabinets. You can certainly switch from one type to the other for a particular driver, but it usually requires a much larger cabinet to work well. When you want a TL cabinet tuned for a subwoofer, by definition it requires a long line length, and a large cabinet, even if the line is folded inside the cabinet.

An example is the 8" woofer cabinet in the Philharmonic 3. See photos here Philharmonic Audio. The 8" woofer is in the lower of the two boxes in each of the photos. This is a woofer, not a subwoofer, but it goes down to about 25 Hz. It isn't what I'd call compact, and in this design the line is folded inside the cabinet.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
As far as being compact, I meant only in comparison to using a larger diameter driver. I would think it would take less volume and therefore be a smaller enclosure.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
As far as being compact, I meant only in comparison to using a larger diameter driver. I would think it would take less volume and therefore be a smaller enclosure.
Not necessarily, look at the Phil 3 lower cabinet. That uses a very high quality 8" woofer that is capable of playing fairly low and loud. That ML-TL cab, in order to get it tuned into the 20's, is huge compared to a subwoofer I could build using even an 18" driver (with the right driver).

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Agreed fuzz, but if the 18 were also in a TL with a cross section remaining constant throughout the line, wouldn't it be a larger enclosure? I guess this was my thinking anyway. I need to educate myself much more, and come back to this discussion when I have something of relevance to add. I see this as a challenge and I will succeed, even if it takes awhile. Thanks for your input, it keeps me in check with reality. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Agreed fuzz, but if the 18 were also in a TL with a cross section remaining constant throughout the line, wouldn't it be a larger enclosure? I guess this was my thinking anyway. I need to educate myself much more, and come back to this discussion when I have something of relevance to add. I see this as a challenge and I will succeed, even if it takes awhile. Thanks for your input, it keeps me in check with reality. :D
I would guess not necessarily, but I'm not familiar enough with the math to say for sure. I have the Martin King worksheets, but haven't gotten around to playing with them yet.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Buy one 800 Diamond and then save for the other one for later on.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For my $10K:

1. Denon X4000 x 1
2. RBH SX-8300 x 5
3. ATI AT1805 x 1

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Come'on man, have some imagination!
Right. :confused:
Take your $10k and buy something that would make your audiophile friends say, "Wow! I would never have imagined buying THAT! Now let's go over to my house and listen to some music."

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Buy one 800 Diamond and then save for the other one for later on.
By the time you have saved enough for the other one later on, the next generation of Diamond B&W would have been released. :D

So then you would have 1 800D2 and 1 800D3. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yawn.
Come'on man, have some imagination!
Right. :confused:
Take your $10k and buy something that would make your audiophile friends say, "Wow! I would never have imagined buying THAT! Now let's go over to my house and listen to some music."
Using the X4000 to power the five SX-8300's midrange & treble and using the AT1805 to ACTIVELY power the five SX-8300's bass is some imagination.

Denon X4000 AVR
Emotive XPA-5 Amp
4x Aperion Verus Grand Towers
1x Aperion Verus Grand Center
1 Rythmik FV15HP and/or 1 SVS PB13-Ultra
Oppo 103 BluRay Player
You call this "wow" and imaginative ? :eek:

Ooh, wow, it's Emotiva. Say no more. Wow for sure. My dream amp. :D
Ooh, wow, it's Aperion. :D
Ooh, wow, it's another one of a million passive speaker setup. :D
Ooh, wow, everyone and his mother has a Rythmik and SVS, so having one will be eye candy and imaginative and original.
Ooh, wow, it's another original imaginative Oppo player. :D

Everyone already has a setup similar to that.

But not many people have ACTIVELY bi-amped FIFTEEN 8" woofers (F3 = 25Hz, 5 towers, each tower has three 8" woofers) using 5Ch of ATI AT1805 amp. That is "WOW", imaginative, creative, and original.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You want a system with pizzaz, how about buying seven big old beat up Klipschorns and running them all full range. It might not be the most accurate system around, and it may be a little low on the WAF, but the right kind of music will make that setup feel like a roller coaster ride.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
You call this "wow" and imaginative ? :eek:
You misunderstood my meaning. It was sarcastic. I meant the suggestion to lean toward imagination could result in friend being wow'd by your selections, but then wanting to go back to his own house to actually listen to a boring but higher quality system.

Nope. I don't consider my system "wow" or "imaginative". Quite the opposite. I consider it high quality and relatively mainstream... and when someone asks for my suggestion on how to spend their money, high quality and relatively mainstream is what I suggest.

Guess I need to be more careful w/ my sarcasm. Use lots of faces. :D :) ;) :p :eek: :rolleyes:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You misunderstood my meaning. It was sarcastic. I meant the suggestion to lean toward imagination could result in friend being wow'd by your selections, but then wanting to go back to his own house to actually listen to a boring but higher quality system.

Nope. I don't consider my system "wow" or "imaginative". Quite the opposite. I consider it high quality and relatively mainstream... and when someone asks for my suggestion on how to spend their money, high quality and relatively mainstream is what I suggest.

Guess I need to be more careful w/ my sarcasm. Use lots of faces. :D :) ;) :p :eek: :rolleyes:
Oh, crap. Sorry. Yeah, a wink would help me the next time. ;)

In that case we are in total agreement. :D

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Has everyone seen the "what to do?" thread in beginners. Don't know if it costs 10k, but I wouldn't have thought of it.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Yep. I for one like the CV sound. That system has got to rock. Seriously.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yep. I for one like the CV sound. That system has got to rock. Seriously.
It wouldn't be for me. For me, there are "better" ways to get that kind of SPL if it's really required.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis