$1,500 - $2k sub - DIY vs. Velodyne?

F

Fidelity4Me

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I have B&W CDM-9NTs, SNTs, and CNT powered by a Rotel RSX 1065.  The 9NTs deliver most of the bass I could want for two-channel but lack the heavier thud for movies.

I demo'd a Velodyne DD-15 but I think it's overkill (and even I cannot justify ~$4k for one speaker) so I'm thinking a well-powereed and controlled 12" will do.  I would prefer the $1,500 range.  I like the parametric EQ on the DD-12, but it's still spendy.  I can get a decent deal on an HGS-12X which is still servo controlled.  I did not like the looseness of the SPL-12 (no servo).  The Revel Performa B-15 will cost somewhere between the HGS-12 and the DD-12, is beautiful, and may justify a slightly higher expense than I would like.

But is there a comparable 12"-15" DIY kit out there where I can save a few bucks?  Any with a servo-control?  I am fine with building even a fairly compicated cabinet but do not wish to meddle much with the electronics.  (I can solder, I just do not wish to evaluate graphs in order to match and create my own crossover, filter, amplifier, et al.)  Any good value parametric EQs someone would recommend with a spectrum analyzer to graph and tune my room better?

Anyone have comments concerning Parts Express MKS-III 15" 1000w kit?  Is a North Creek Music Thunder (at 250 watts) even remotely close to the output of the Velodynes (1,250 watts)?  Are there other DIY or retail sources I should check before dropping cash on a Revel?  I would appreciate any advice or comments.  Thanks!</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I say With 1500 DIY box, Adire audio tumult, and a 700-1500rms amp from PE. Thats output right there. That sub displaces 2x as much a 15 mkIII.</font>

U

Unregistered

I tested a dozen subs in my home and the only one that can really do the job properly is a servo Velodyne. Save money by getting a used model in the FSR or HGS series, along with a Behringer DEQ 2496 for RTA & EQ.

U

Unregistered

I've not demo'd a velo yet, but I do have a used sunfire MkII 12" that seems to get the job done. I have been told that the velos are way better, but I only have $600 in this sunfire sub, and it doesn't leave me wanting, so that's my 2 cents there!

-astaples@diylabs.org

U

Unregistered

<font color='#000000'>I say With 1500 DIY box, Adire audio tumult, and a 700-1500rms amp from PE. Thats output right there. That sub displaces 2x as much a 15 mkIII.</font>
Or just the 1000W 15" Kit from PE

S

seattle_ice

Enthusiast
I have two of the Rhythmic Audio DS350 Servo 12" in 1.9ft^3 enclosures.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/servo_product.htm

The room is not huge (15' x 19' x 8' ceilings) and the sound is superb. No boominess, but I can feel my hair blowing in the wind in movie soundtracks.

Very tight on the music tracks, even on the low Jazz Stanley Clark riffs.

I am preparing to build a double box into a leather ottoman, with two of the Rhythmic Audio servo amps, with a master and slave scenario. Now if I had more room, I would probably go bigger, but the WAF will not allow boxes big enough in our room.

I also have a cheaper sub - Assassin 12" with 350w plate amp in a 5ft.^3 ported enclosure. Definitely more HT than Music oriented, and not quite the same Max Overkill as more power and a bigger driver would get you.

Last edited:
S

ScottMayo

Audioholic
VMPS "Larger" kit. Solid, accurate, and it moves air.

annunaki

annunaki

I would do the JL Audio 12W7, the Behringer EP1500, and the behringer EQ piece for subs. (That is actually my plan) You get everything and much more than a Velodyne. Even at full retail for the whole works you come in at just below $1500.00

The W7 is one of the most linear subwoofers (motor AND suspension) on the market. During an independent review, it required 2000 watts rms in order to make the woofer itself start producing distortion levels of 10% or more!! Do not let that fool you either, the woofer is quite efficient too. A 2.25 ft^3 sealed enclosure will give an anechoic Qts of .707

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
annunaki said:
I would do the JL Audio 12W7, the Behringer EP1500, and the behringer EQ piece for subs. (That is actually my plan) You get everything and much more than a Velodyne. Even at full retail for the whole works you come in at just below $1500.00

The W7 is one of the most linear subwoofers (motor AND suspension) on the market. During an independent review, it required 2000 watts rms in order to make the woofer itself start producing distortion levels of 10% or more!! Do not let that fool you either, the woofer is quite efficient too. A 2.25 ft^3 sealed enclosure will give an anechoic Qts of .707
It's a shame the manufacture will void the warranty if you use anything over 1500W:D also thats into a 3ohm sub. Their graph shows optimum to be about 800W (thats around 250W into 8ohm), I seem to remember someone saying 'not all watts are created equal';)

How old was this thread again?:rolleyes:

cheers:)

annunaki

annunaki

JL recommends their 1000/1 on that sub. Their power handling is very conservative. JL Audio's rms ratings are usually for 8 hour stints I believe. 9most other car audio companies are about an hour, some only a minute) You will not be running 1500 watts rms all the time anyway. Headroom is a good thing when it comes to fidelity.

I do not believe I ever said, "not all watts are created equal".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis