Audioholics Ultimate Subwoofer Shootout Planned

Matt34

Matt34

Not if they have already built it, and are recommending it shamelessly to others. Then it is only a question of shipping, and them parting with it for a time, and being willing to trust the testers with it. I would like to see someone who claims to have a great bang for the buck homemade unit put their sub to real testing and real comparisons with other units with which it is supposedly superior/competitive. After all, if there is no significant superiority for the price, then it is a bad value spending one's time making something when one could buy something ready made that is equally good for the money.

If their subwoofer turns out to be all that they claim it is, then this would give them bragging rights. But if they are just full of hot air, this should prove it, so I really doubt there are going to be very many who are willing to expose themselves to such a possible outcome. We will see if there are any volunteers for this.
There has been many proven DIY subs that have been tested against commercial offerings.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-subwoofers/6656-subwoofer-tests-fall-2007-a.html

It's not rocket science either to know how a sub will preform given the right parameters, knowledge and software. Some have more time than money, others just like the sense of accomplishment.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Not if they have already built it, and are recommending it shamelessly to others. Then it is only a question of shipping, and them parting with it for a time, and being willing to trust the testers with it. I would like to see someone who claims to have a great bang for the buck homemade unit put their sub to real testing and real comparisons with other units with which it is supposedly superior/competitive. After all, if there is no significant superiority for the price, then it is a bad value spending one's time making something when one could buy something ready made that is equally good for the money.

If their subwoofer turns out to be all that they claim it is, then this would give them bragging rights. But if they are just full of hot air, this should prove it, so I really doubt there are going to be very many who are willing to expose themselves to such a possible outcome. We will see if there are any volunteers for this.
To be fair my driver cost less than 100 bucks. I think if it held it's own with these subs it would be a statement. But the requirements of a test like this can ruin a driver and there is no way I'm subjecting my sub to that kind of abuse. Not to mention shipping the sub would be a lot of work. If I lived near Gene I'd do one, Florida is a long drive from Texas.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
The problem with some of these DIY subs is that they are not just plug and play. For instance my sealed drivers sub need external DSP, to add a LT to adjust the knee so that would mean for me, having to drag a 300lb sub, my DCX and 2 amps that are 50lbs each, and then set it all up with whatever receiver or Pre-Amp they would have... PIA... :rolleyes:

Not just a fire and forget it scenario... I'm sure they will already have enough work to do rather then add in all the screwin around something like that will entail.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This faceoff is only for manufacturers products that are shipping not DIY forum stuff. Maybe in the future....

BTW this faceoff is being conducted in California where Paul resides.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
So far I emailed the following manufacturers:

• SVS: PB13
  • JL Audio: F212
  • Paradigm: Sub 1 or Sub 2
  • Axiom Audio: EP800

If all 4 say yes, than I just have to request 1 more sub :)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
SVS is almost always the largest sub in shootouts. Paul wants the biggest baddest subs he can get his hands on. I offered smaller/lighter, he said bring on the big. He's got a friggin forklift to move them!

We will see what actually comes to fruition, I fear many of these companies won't want the shipping expense. The EMP 1818 for example will cost about $1k for shipping both ways.
I'd consider $1k to be cheap advertising. Of course, if a sub doesn't perform well in comparison to the others, that could backfire....

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
There has been many proven DIY subs that have been tested against commercial offerings.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-subwoofers/6656-subwoofer-tests-fall-2007-a.html

It's not rocket science either to know how a sub will preform given the right parameters, knowledge and software. Some have more time than money, others just like the sense of accomplishment.
I'm liking the results of the PB13 ultra on that page, it's quite the performer for what it costs, for a commercial sub.

T

Tungsten06GT

Audioholic

My vote is for eD's A7-900. I don't think eD gets enough lovin' over here!

A

allargon

Audioholic General

Gene, can you guys add something from Dayton? They claim their subs can compete with subs costing 2-3 more. I know the AH store sells Dayton stuff, so I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard to add a Titanic or something larger.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

The performance of the pb13 and f212 is pretty well documented, so they would make a good point of reference, but I think you should bring in some more obscure and newer subs, like many already mentioned in this thread. And really, there are more powerful subs commercially available, so you should do more to put the "ultimate" in the ultimate subwoofer shootout. There are subs from Danley, Seaton, ED, and Funkywaves which would walk all over those subs, and I'm guessing they would be more eager to participate than JL Audio or Paradigm.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
How about one of the Dayton Titanic subs? They are available assembled. Whichever one falls into the same price slot I guess.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed.... Seatons Terraform XL would be something to put the Ultimate in this shootout...

Or perhaps JTR's Orbit Shifter sub....

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Since this is a "cost no option" ultimate subwoofer shootout, how about the Thigpen rotary subwoofer?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
im not too familiar with rotary subs but i was under the impression they were mostly for sub-20hz and required room construction/modification?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Update: SVS not Part of Shootout

SVS graciously declined claiming all of the measured data of the PB-13 is available via IKKA's measurements at the HometheaterShack. They suggested that I use their data to compare to other subs in our shootout. We don't operate that way as we like to confirm product performance via our own test results. So count them out for this round.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Don't I own most of the subs in the shootout;)? Maybe we should just have it at my house...;)
SVS graciously declined claiming all of the measured data of the PB-13 is available via IKKA's measurements at the HometheaterShack. They suggested that I use their data to compare to other subs in our shootout. We don't operate that way as we like to confirm product performance via our own test results. So count them out for this round.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I am getting a lot of resistance from the few manufacturers I've contacted so far. Most companies don't want to be in a face off. Despite I told the companies that each product will get its own dedicated review with the results tabulated at the end.

They all fear product comparisons unless they are done in a glossy magazine that dedicates a total of 3-4k words for the entire article with no real measurements or analysis.

Crap in the future, I will just line up reviews and tabulate data in a separate article. :rolleyes:

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
The performance of the pb13 and f212 is pretty well documented, so they would make a good point of reference, but I think you should bring in some more obscure and newer subs, like many already mentioned in this thread. And really, there are more powerful subs commercially available, so you should do more to put the "ultimate" in the ultimate subwoofer shootout. There are subs from Danley, Seaton, ED, and Funkywaves which would walk all over those subs, and I'm guessing they would be more eager to participate than JL Audio or Paradigm.
Well I sent an Email to Nathan@ Funkywaves and he could be interested...pending some deatils...:D. Without any DIY or Custom products then this is not an Ultimate shootout...jmo.:confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis