2009 Oregon Coast Audio Meet "Wrap Up"

majorloser

majorloser

Well, the big weekend is finally over and all of the equipment is making it's way back to the manufacturers. We had a pretty good turnout with just over 50 people attending. There were a few sponsors that fell through the cracks, one sponsor who's gear got lost in transit and a bunch of attendees who either couldn't make it for one reason or another. But that's the way the cookie crumbles. :)

We had some of the most beautiful weather the Oregon Coast has seen in a long time. Cool, sunny and clear blue skies all weekend.

I have asked all of the attendees to post their pictures to a common Photobucket account to make it easier than going through a bunch of forum pages.

http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab238/oregoncoastgtg/

I really hope everybody who attended had a good time. I know I did. It was a remarkable weekend of great gear, awesome speakers and new friends.
What more could you ask for?

I'd like to take a moment to thank some very important people...

Jim and Mary Salk - You guys are simply the best. There is not enough I can ever say or do to thank you. But I will say this, "Jim, you are one lucky man to have found Mary."

Will Stamps - I'm glad you were able to make it out to Oregon. Thanks to you and the Audioholics Store a lot of people left Saturday a few pounds heavier.

Shane Rich - Everytime we meet you give me a new respect for speaker design and insight into what really makes great speakers. (Tell Roger I said you need a raise!)

"The Aperions" - You guys rock! What a blast hanging with you guys and learning. And man, what a generous bunch. I wish I would have had a little more time to stuff the ballot box for those Intimus 6B's.

Mr. and Mrs. Tomorrow - As usual, you made me ask why the hell I was boarding a plane heading back to Florida instead of staying in Oregon. The day will come when I move out there and you will learn to regret having me as a neighbor.

Mr. and Mrs. AverageJoe - You two are gracious host and a wonderful couple. I couldn't think of a better home to hold a meet like this. A bunch of people owe you a great big "thanks". (To the Mrs. - I promise to talk him out of it next time.)

And lastly, Loserwife - It's over honey! I can go to bed early now.

Last edited by a moderator:
majorloser

majorloser

Salk Sound

The home theater was reserved for Salk Sound speakers and Audio by Van Alstine.

The equipment consisted of a AVA Ultra SL Preamp with a Slingbox for source material:

AVA Insight 440 amplifier(?)

AVA Insight 240 amplifier(?)

There was a variety of Salk Sound speakers auditioned over the weekend.

Veracity HT-2's

Song Towers

Soundscape 12 (HT4)

HT-1TL's

Then on Sunday the ModWright LS 36.5 Tube Linestage and KW 150 Amplifer were moved into the theater for use with the Soundscape 12's. Jim Salk was comparing the differences between the AVA and MW gear.

I don't think there will be a sole that doesn't agree the Salk Soundscape 12's stole the show. What beautiful, pure sound these speakers can make. There was no room treatments in this theater. No special considerations for speaker placement or seating. Just a regular room. But these speakers would just disappear. It was really like a live performance. Almost everybody commented how the bass was so life-like that it was truly surprising. It wasn't overpowering nor boomy in any way. Just smooth and deep. It really became noticable when Jim Salk played some Bach performed on a pipe organ. And yet the next sellection could have been soft female vocals that made you feel the singer was sitting in the room in front of you.

If you don't believe me, just ask ANY of the wives that came along with their husbands to this event.
Including my wife, they all made comments along the lines of, "We should get some of those for our home."

But like the good husbands we are, we just grinned and nodded our heads in agreement.
And of course we never told them how much they cost till well after the emotional euphoria wore off. :(

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

Main Listening Room

This room had a LOT of speakers getting switched out over the weekend.

Starting from left to right...

Aperion Intimus 6T towers
EMP SX-4T towers
Axiom M60 v2 towers
Onix Reference 3 towers with Skiing Ninja upgrades
EMP EW25 on-wall speakers (on top in back)
Infiniti Classia C336 towers (along right wall)
Aperion Intimus 6B bookshelf speakers (one on each side wall)

The equipment used to power and provide source material

ModWright LS 36.5 Tube Linestage
ModWright KW 150 Amplifer
Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player w/SACD & DVD-Audio

Though this particular Oppo Blu-ray was not modded, ModWright does offer a complete modifying services that includes a new master clock, new analog power supply and upgraded analog circuitry.

I'll be the first to admit how stupid I felt when I had to read the manual for the ModWright amplifier. This has to be the only time I couldn't figure out how to turn on an amp. There is no noticable switch on the front, so of course we all thought the amp had a signal sensing trigger to turn it on. WRONG!
So I pull out the manual and start to read. Skip past all the safety information, like not putting your finger in the electrical outlet and not placing your drink on top of the amp (unless your coffee needs a warmup). And then we come to the section, "How to turn on your amplifier". DUH, men don't read instructions.

The fancy CNC machined MW company emblem on the front of the amp is the switch. Just push. (and the crowd gathers)
The blue lights start to flash for about a minute then "presto" the amp is fully powered up. (now I feel so stupid)

But alas, the male of our species evolved ever so slightly on that day. (then the instruction manual was forever hidden back in the box)

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

Bookshelf Room

Though the smallest listening space in the house, it seemed to have the most people trying to get in. This room had quite the variety of equipment.

From left to right

Infiniti Cascade Model Twelve subwoofer
EMP 41-SE/B bookshelf speakers w/beryllium cone woofer
Infiniti Cascade Model Nine tower speakers
EMP E5Ti tower speakers
Audio by Van Alstine Insight Integrated Control Amplifier
EMP VT-40.2 Hybrid Tube Amplifier
JVC CD-player with mods
EMP ES10i subwoofer
EMP E5Bi bookshelf speakers (out of frame)
Infiniti Cascadia Model Seven bookshelf speakers (in rear)

This room caught a bunch of people off guard. The EMP special bookshelf system that included the beryllium drivers speakers and the hybrid tube amp was the first system to make you stop and ask "Is that the towers playing?". It was hard to believe that speakers that small could sound that good. Then you find out that a tiny little tube amp was providing the power.

But the real draw was the EMP E5Ti tower speakers. They have a great sound for such a small tower speaker. When people asked how much, it made jaws drop ($400/pair).

Only later in the day on Saturday were the subwoofers hooked up. Of course this just added even more bass extension.

I couldn't help myself and had to take some macro shots of the tubes. :cool:

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

SVSound

The living room of the home was setup with a 5.2 system from SVS that included a MCS-01 Center Channel Speaker

a pair of MTS-01 Tower Speakers and PB-12 Plus Subwoofers in oak

a pair of MBS-01 Bookshelf Speakers in oak

and a AS-EQ1 Subwoofer EQ

Did I mention something about how men don't bother to read instruction manuals? Well, the SVS AS-EQ1 Subwoofer EQ is another fine example of this great law of nature. After many hours of reading, loading software on a laptop and poking said laptop with a pointy stick, we never could get it to do what it was supposed to do. I'm quite sure AverageJoe is probably on hold with SVS tech support trying to figure out what we did wrong. Cause, let's face it, all tech support is there for is so we don't have to read manuals. DUH!

RTFM my butt. :mad:

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Excellent Job Dave!!!! Thanks for putting the time into this and making those of us that couldn't attend get a great feel for how nice this event was. I saw some of those scenic shots of Oregon. I won't be missing next years event if its there, especially the food :)

majorloser

majorloser

Excellent Job Dave!!!! Thanks for putting the time into this and making those of us that couldn't attend get a great feel for how nice this event was. I saw some of those scenic shots of Oregon. I won't be missing next years event if its there, especially the food :)
Those shots were off the balcony from the townhouse I rented. NICE :cool:

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Ha, I'd be happy with AverageJoe's parking lot! :p

Dave, great job of summarizing the rooms. Next time you're out here, I want photographer lessons. You can tell mine...they look like an 8 year old took them. :eek:

Gene, the food was awesome...even if Dave doesn't think the wraps were 'meaty' enough. :)

majorloser

majorloser

Shane Rich from EMP/RBH brought another small format tower as a teaser of things to come from EMP.

The EMP SX-4T

Comes with a really nice magnetic grill that fits perfectly inside the resessed screw holes for the aluminum front baffle. No sliding or off center grill. It's quite heavy for such a small speaker. The outrigger feet are a definite "must" to keep this from falling over. My wife fell in love with these when she had a chance to listen to them on Friday before the show.

These pictures were taken on Sunday afternoon when we hooked them up to the little EMP hybrid tube amp. That thing has 40 wpc and was plenty of power to keep these speakers running at high volumes with no problem. I ended up hooking that thing up to everything just to see what it can do. :D

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Shane Rich from EMP/RBH brought another small format tower as a teaser of things to come from EMP.

The EMP SX-4T

Comes with a really nice magnetic grill that fits perfectly inside the resessed screw holes for the aluminum front baffle. No sliding or off center grill. It's quite heavy for such a small speaker. The outrigger feet are a definite "must" to keep this from falling over. My wife fell in love with these when she had a chance to listen to them on Friday before the show.

These pictures were taken on Sunday afternoon when we hooked them up to the little EMP hybrid tube amp. That thing has 40 wpc and was plenty of power to keep these speakers running at high volumes with no problem. I ended up hooking that thing up to everything just to see what it can do. :D

I really liked these little speakers. And Shane too!

I think those cute little towers played much larger and would go oh-so-well in my office...especially with that cool tube amp. :) Hmmm....I think they're still here......;)

J

Johnnyjack

Audiophyte
I too want to chime in and say that my wife and I had enjoyed our time as well. I want to thank the Audioholics Folks, The Host and Hostess and those who dedicated time to setting up and signing all of us in. The Salk speakers were especially strong on bass and I believe middles. The vocals were great too. Then there was Ed who represented Aperion; he was particularly graceful and showed the T6's to us. I was amazed how much bass they could pump out and the fine sound. This was the first event that we had attended and Ed gave us some quality one on one time as well as Dave. It was great, the generosity that Aperion showed by raffling off their bookshelves on the fine stands. I was impressed with this organization and having had the time and support of their marketing manager.

If my memory serves me well, I believe it was the EMP's that had a small footprint and an exceptional sound for the price of the speakers. Jim Salk was very patient and graced us with some of his speakers and different genres of music. He also pulled out the Song Towers which seemed to me as a fine speaker for the money; very economical. Also, I have an SVS subwoofer at home; so I especially enjoyed the one that they had sent. What took the cake was how when watching/listening to the tapping on the window scene in Nemo, is where this subwoofer really shined. All one could say was WOW!!!!!!! It was perfect and I mean perfect.

I must say to all that there's a fine eatery nearby or just before Lincoln City and the name is Bay Inn or Bay House and you have got to eat there. Due to the coastal atmosphere one can get by with casual nice clothing, but this place is a notch and a half above any eatery I had ever been to in my 57 years of life. When you arrive you are greeted as if you are the only one left on the face of the earth and it continues through ordering, waited upon, drinks etc.... When my wife and I had gone it was for our anniversary around the Fourth-of-July time-frame. It has a nice view of the ocean as well as live entertainment; when we attended they had a small jazz band of four or so musicians playing.

Note: Their wine list is about as long as Highway 101. It is awfully spendy, but it is out of this world. If any of you have been there please let me know, for my wife and I have only eaten there one time so far. I assume it is consistent.

Since we are on the topic of food, the food from, I believe the name was Wildflower, was super! My wife has worked for Bon Apetite as well as Sodexho and it is in calibur with the too. Excellent food! The cake too, whom I believe one of the folks brought to share was great as well!

SVS gave hats out and they were very nice; I want to thank the SVS folks for doing so.

Lots of fun and looking forward to attending more events as such. It is so great to be able to meet and converse and learn with like minded folks.

jtmjnow
jtmj
PS The view was beautiful!

majorloser

majorloser

Gene, the food was awesome...even if Dave doesn't think the wraps were 'meaty' enough. :)
I think you misunderstood, I said we didn't get enough wraps with meat in them. They gave us twice as many veggie wraps with beans.

Beans? Are you kidding me? Like I need more gas. :eek:

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I've scattered thoughts and impressions from the GTG around in a couple of places. I thought I'd paste just a couple of them in this thread for the sake of consistency. I'll add a couple more as I find them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

From AudioCircle....

Just a quick note...my duties kept me from auditioning the HT2's. I have to say that I was mighty impressed by the other Salks in the line-up, and have little doubt the HT2 would be a bigtime cure for a lifetime of bad speaker owning. I'll get into a more adjective laden review of what I heard in other threads or forums. Suffice here to say that the Songtowers are an awesome value and really are quite unbelievable dealers in smooth FR, down from amazing depths for a couple of 5.5" woofers on to infinity with those ribbons. But the Soundscapes have forever spoiled me and ruined every other speaker...and I have heard hundreds of expensive models. I sat there trying to be hyper-critical, trying to diagnose every nuance (sorry Brandon), find any fault or shortcoming, and suddenly ***poof*** all speaker influences disappeared. It didn't drift away. I just got slammed by the music and artist. What speakers?

Because of a medical ailment, my wife has a hearing disability of a significant extent...wears hearing aids (but had them off for the event because of noise levels/sensitivity). She doesn't much like music anymore because a lot of it hurts her ears...as it had when in the car on the way over I played part of a new compilation CD I'd just made. I brought her in to the Salk room and expected her to leave within minutes. She stayed for an hour listening to that same CD now being played on the Soundscapes at reference levels. Guess what. I looked over and she was in tears. She told me that for the first time in years she was able to enjoy music again. It gave me chills to hear that. I don't know what physiological effects were in play, but I don't care either, as it brought me much joy.

I think we sometimes get jaded, or become slaves of the technology, and analyze analyze analyze, and forget the music and what it can do for the soul. And I don't want to get too philosophical or sappy, but these HT4/Soundscapes bring THAT internal emotion to you before you realize it. I dunno guys. I can't describe it better than that. In my opinion, Jim has built a disappearing machine that drives music into your soul.
[/quote]

I think everyone in attendance had a really good time. I still don't have time to post my reviews and get more photos uploaded. But I did want to put in a big plug for our sponsors...they REALLY deserve a lot of credit. We're pretty much out here in the boonies...a great vacation spot to be sure...but still the boonies. The support we received was spectacular. Joe, Dave, and I want to give one more big shout-out of appreciation and gratitude.

Audioholics Home Theater Store stepped up with major support for the GTG with their donation of the catered lunch and provided some great discounts on store equipment purchases. It surely wouldn't have been as classy an event as it was without them.

The equipment sponsors also went well beyond our imaginings with terrific equipment, donations, and support. Over the next week or so, you'll likely be seeing lots of posts about the great stuff we got to see, touch, and hear from SalkSound, SVS, RBH/EMP, AVAHifi, ModWright, Skiing Ninja, all the attendees that brought their treasured gear, and last, but certainly not least, our own Oregon audio company, Aperion. Aperion came in at the last minute with some lovely speakers, giveaways, and also popped for Sunday breakfast. On behalf of everyone at the GTG, we deeply thank the sponsors for making the experience one to thoroughly enjoy.

Glitches...we had a few. The driveway navigation saga involving Jim and Mary Salk's trailer is an interesting tale of tension. But it had a happy ending as potential disaster was averted. (Story to be told, later.) Emotiva shipped their entire pallet of gear from the RMAF show...but (!!) the shipper didn't pick it up for 3 days as it sat there at the hotel in Denver, and the equipment won't arrive until tomorrow. :( (Actually, since it wasn't going to make it here on time, it was intercepted in transit and Emotiva had it turned around to go back to Tennessee.) So unfortunately, we missed their cool equipment. Von Schweikert Audio couldn't get their VR3 prototypes working properly and couldn't make the gig. We were really hoping to unveil the new model. ERA was missing in action...we missed some nice bookshelf speakers.

Otherwise, a good time was had by all. I only wish more people could have attended and enjoyed the show with us. I have to say that the people involved in our beloved hobby are first-rate folks. I enjoyed meeting everyone who came to visit. I hope we can do this again...though in a larger venue next time. :)

SVS was one of the many fine sponsors that donated lots of give-away goodies for the show...several dozen hats and a like number of T-shirts (the shirts unfortunately arrived on Monday). The equipment they sent was the natural oak MTS setup with MTS-01 mains, MBS-01 surrounds, and MCS-01 center and TWO PB12-Plus subs.

We tried to schedule the rooms so that we minimized the cross-talk between systems, particularly the SVS room which was right on top of the Salk room. It turns out that there wasn't too much interference and the SVS room played movies from noon (during lunch) until late afternoon. All the big subwoofer movies were the faire for the day...Finding Nemo maybe the most popular. But what got everybody racing up to the SVS room was when the sub sweeps started running. From outside someone said they thought a plane was landing on the roof. I thought it was the roof trying to launch itself! The livingroom filled with people shoulder to shoulder to get a piece of that love. ;) They are imposing and impressive subs. We almost lost a couple of large, decorative platters from atop the cabinets in the kitchen! :eek: Mrs. AverageJoe would have had my scalp. As they were walking themselves toward the cabinet edge, they were saved by a quick thinking and grabbing caterer. (Please....no one tell Mrs. AverageJoe.)

The entire system was very clean looking and sounding to my ears. I was impressed by their ScanSpeak AirCirc tweeter. If you get a chance to audition a set, I highly recommend it. If I could have afforded it, this set would be in my HT right now. I like the MTS-01's better than my Aerial 7B's! (I'm still working on the missus. :eek:) This system was ridiculously show-priced at 1/2 MSRP!! How is that for a go-for-the-gusto sponsor?! The system included SVS's new AS-EQ1, an Audyssey SQ optimizing device that handles multiple subs at up to 32 locations in the room. (This was the only SVS item not for sale. It is Ron Stimpson's personal unit.) Unfortunately, we fell too short of time to put on a demonstration of the unit, but it looks to be a real winner for SVS.

There were so many intriguing and tempting pieces of equipment at the GTG. I'm still cleaning the drool off my shirts and digging around looking for lost treasure in my wallet.

The only pictures I got were just before we opened and I got really busy. Maybe some others can post pics of the crowds we got for movie time, as well as their reviews of the system.

And aren't those nifty banners?! :)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
If anyone got a picture of the "WELCOME AUDIOHOLICS" billboard we rented in the middle of town, please upload it to the common photobucket account.

I went through town earlier in the morning and it wasn't put up until I got to AverageJoe's house. I played cabby in the evening, so I didn't get a photo of it then. It was replaced with something else by the next morning. :(

D

drab

Enthusiast
If anyone got a picture of the "WELCOME AUDIOHOLICS" billboard we rented in the middle of town, please upload it to the common photobucket account.

I went through town earlier in the morning and it wasn't put up until I got to AverageJoe's house. I played cabby in the evening, so I didn't get a photo of it then. It was replaced with something else by the next morning. :(
I just posted one. My wife took this shot walking home from the kite festival.

Mike

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I just posted one. My wife took this shot walking home from the kite festival.

Mike
THAT was a couple mile walk! :eek:

Many thanks, Drab. I feared that it would be lost to history. (Note that I had it put outside the largest pizza restaurant in town...just for Dave. ;))

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks to everyone mentioned by Dave (or was it Bob?). Especial thanks to Joe and Son of Joe and their respective Mrs' for letting us spend two day in their home playing loud music and being the Audioholics that we are. It was a hit event and no question, it was because of the efforts of the organizers and enthuiasm of the sponsors.

Here are some of my random thoughts about speakers I heard;

Without question the Salk Signature Sound stole the show. I was with everyone in my awe of the Soundscape 12s (HT4). I was most amazed by the rectangular mid range speaker on them. But that said, the Song Towers (with ribbon tweeter upgrade) also sounded fantastic. The TL cabinets ability to extend the bass response was also something to be heard to believe. I am with a lot of folks also when I say, most of my time was spent in the Salk Room and in the sweet spot when I could.

The Onyx Ref3's with Striking Ninja upgrades sounded very very similar/ on par to the Song Towers, with a toss between which was better.

I was very impressed by the Impression Bookshelf speakers. Combined with the sub in suppliment mode, crossed over at 100Hz, they sounded absolutely stunning. They blended with the sub so well that I could not even tell that a sub was playing (but of course I knew it was there because of the low end extension). The cherry finish looked stunning and it is hard to believe that they are only $200 for a pair.

The M60's (due to time constraints I could not get them into the Salk room which seemed to have great acoustics) top end kept pace with the other speakers (again this is not based on a direct comparison), but I felt that the mids were somewhat muddied when the volume was cranked. Mind you, this was when they were in direct comparison with speakers costing three and four times as much. Having been thoroughly schooled in good sound by the Salk Room, I got them home and immediately started playing around with the placement and settings to get the most out of them... I might even be rearranging my home to get them into a bigger room. Also, started a new Salk fund. (Jim S. this is your official warning :D).

I personally got exactly what I wanted from the GTG. A taste of some great sounding speakers and equipment, time spent having nerdy AV talk with like minded people and a blast of a time. Once again, my personal thanks to everyone that made it possible.

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks to everyone mentioned by Dave (or was it Bob?). Especial thanks to Joe and Son of Joe and their respective Mrs' for letting us spend two day in their home playing loud music and being the Audioholics that we are. It was a hit event and no question, it was because of the efforts of the organizers and enthuiasm of the sponsors.

Here are some of my random thoughts about speakers I heard;

Without question the Salk Signature Sound stole the show. I was with everyone in my awe of the Soundscape 12s (HT4). I was most amazed by the rectangular mid range speaker on them. But that said, the Song Towers (with ribbon tweeter upgrade) also sounded fantastic. The TL cabinets ability to extend the bass response was also something to be heard to believe. I am with a lot of folks also when I say, most of my time was spent in the Salk Room and in the sweet spot when I could.

The Onyx Ref3's with Striking Ninja upgrades sounded very very similar/ on par to the Song Towers, with a toss between which was better.

I was very impressed by the Impression Bookshelf speakers. Combined with the sub in suppliment mode, crossed over at 100Hz, they sounded absolutely stunning. They blended with the sub so well that I could not even tell that a sub was playing (but of course I knew it was there because of the low end extension). The cherry finish looked stunning and it is hard to believe that they are only $200 for a pair.

The M60's (due to time constraints I could not get them into the Salk room which seemed to have great acoustics) top end kept pace with the other speakers (again this is not based on a direct comparison), but I felt that the mids were somewhat muddied when the volume was cranked. Mind you, this was when they were in direct comparison with speakers costing three and four times as much. Having been thoroughly schooled in good sound by the Salk Room, I got them home and immediately started playing around with the placement and settings to get the most out of them... I might even be rearranging my home to get them into a bigger room. Also, started a new Salk fund. (Jim S. this is your official warning :D).

I personally got exactly what I wanted from the GTG. A taste of some great sounding speakers and equipment, time spent having nerdy AV talk with like minded people and a blast of a time. Once again, my personal thanks to everyone that made it possible.

Thanks for the kind words, Ro. And that is a great summary of the event. You were first to arrive and I think last to leave.

Fair warning Jim S...if he says it, he does it! :)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I too want to chime in and say that my wife and I had enjoyed our time as well. I want to thank the Audioholics Folks, The Host and Hostess and those who dedicated time to setting up and signing all of us in. The Salk speakers were especially strong on bass and I believe middles. The vocals were great too. Then there was Ed who represented Aperion; he was particularly graceful and showed the T6's to us. I was amazed how much bass they could pump out and the fine sound. This was the first event that we had attended and Ed gave us some quality one on one time as well as Dave. It was great, the generosity that Aperion showed by raffling off their bookshelves on the fine stands. I was impressed with this organization and having had the time and support of their marketing manager.

If my memory serves me well, I believe it was the EMP's that had a small footprint and an exceptional sound for the price of the speakers. Jim Salk was very patient and graced us with some of his speakers and different genres of music. He also pulled out the Song Towers which seemed to me as a fine speaker for the money; very economical. Also, I have an SVS subwoofer at home; so I especially enjoyed the one that they had sent. What took the cake was how when watching/listening to the tapping on the window scene in Nemo, is where this subwoofer really shined. All one could say was WOW!!!!!!! It was perfect and I mean perfect.

I must say to all that there's a fine eatery nearby or just before Lincoln City and the name is Bay Inn or Bay House and you have got to eat there. Due to the coastal atmosphere one can get by with casual nice clothing, but this place is a notch and a half above any eatery I had ever been to in my 57 years of life. When you arrive you are greeted as if you are the only one left on the face of the earth and it continues through ordering, waited upon, drinks etc.... When my wife and I had gone it was for our anniversary around the Fourth-of-July time-frame. It has a nice view of the ocean as well as live entertainment; when we attended they had a small jazz band of four or so musicians playing.

Note: Their wine list is about as long as Highway 101. It is awfully spendy, but it is out of this world. If any of you have been there please let me know, for my wife and I have only eaten there one time so far. I assume it is consistent.

Since we are on the topic of food, the food from, I believe the name was Wildflower, was super! My wife has worked for Bon Apetite as well as Sodexho and it is in calibur with the too. Excellent food! The cake too, whom I believe one of the folks brought to share was great as well!

SVS gave hats out and they were very nice; I want to thank the SVS folks for doing so.

Lots of fun and looking forward to attending more events as such. It is so great to be able to meet and converse and learn with like minded folks.

jtmjnow
jtmj
PS The view was beautiful!
Man, you put a big smile on my face. Thank you for the above! We're pretty proud of our town and thanks to great people like you, we now can say we're a good place for audio, too.

Off topic...zing...to food. My wife made us eat at every restaurant in the county when we first moved here. Being a tourist town, there are hundreds! The two restaurants you mentioned are our two faves (and why we had Wildflower Grill do the catering). Both places have won many, many awards in the state! Thanks for the reminder on the Bay House. It's Mrs. Tomorrow's birthday next week.....guess where we're going! :D

(Majorloser and Loserwife...come on out next week. I'll treat to dinner. :D)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
After reading all the comments about the Oregon GTG by Majorloser and Tomorrow I don't think I have much to add…

Everyone was wowed by Jim Salk's speakers, from the Songtowers, to the new HT1-TLs, to the HT4s (SoundScape 12?). Average Joe's theater room has great acoustics, and that certainly helped. Jim Salk said, more than once, how much he enjoyed listening to his speakers in that room. Compared to the hotel room at RMAF (in Denver the previous weekend), Joe's room was a real pleasure. I was glad so many people had a chance to hear these speakers under such good conditions. Listening to the other non-Salk speakers there that day, all in other rooms, was a let down in more ways than one.

Of the other speakers I heard there, the EMP E5Ti towers stood out. They sound (and look) real nice. I cannot believe they are selling for $400 a pair. Anyone who is looking in that price range should consider them. Even at $600 or $800 a pair, I think they are a winner.

I was also glad that people noticed how good Frank Van Alstine's electronic gear is. AVA amps, preamps, DACs, etc. are real gems in the sometimes goofy and overpriced hi-end world of audio electronics.

As someone who has lived most of my life on the east coast, I can't say how much I enjoyed my visit to the Oregon coast. The scenery there is spectacular.

My sincere thanks go to Tomorrow, Majorloser, Average Joe and their wives for organizing this GTG. You did an outstanding job. The Loserwife is an expert at schmoozing the crowd - I was very impressed by her audio knowledge. I also want to thank Audioholics for their sponsorship. I hope you do it again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis