Receiver for secondary system

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sorry Internet was down

Well, the Marantz came in and everything was just loads of fun last night. It's always great playing with a new toy. Then my Internet went down, so I wasn't able to post any pics and stuff. I'll try to do that in the next couple days. I thought it would be nice to share with those who may have anxiety about purchasing a refurb unit. Anyway, life is good right now. This thing rocks, especially considering the price! :cool:

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Well, the Marantz came in and everything was just loads of fun last night. It's always great playing with a new toy. Then my Internet went down, so I wasn't able to post any pics and stuff. I'll try to do that in the next couple days. I thought it would be nice to share with those who may have anxiety about purchasing a refurb unit. Anyway, life is good right now. This thing rocks, especially considering the price! :cool:
That's great news Soundman (well for the Marantz; sorry about your Internet problem, I just came back from similar problems on mine too).

We'll be waiting anxiously about your first impressions on sound, and pictures would be awesome man. :)
* And about refurbs from Accessories4Less; I already know that they are excellent. This is one of the very best place to do business, and this, is already confirmed by thousands and thousands of fully satisfied customers.

Talk you soon,
Bob

Soundman

Soundman

That's great news Soundman (well for the Marantz; sorry about your Internet problem, I just came back from similar problems on mine too).

We'll be waiting anxiously about your first impressions on sound, and pictures would be awesome man. :)
* And about refurbs from Accessories4Less; I already know that they are excellent. This is one of the very best place to do business, and this, is already confirmed by thousands and thousands of fully satisfied customers.

Talk you soon,
Bob
OK, here goes nothing.

First Impressions

First of all I was very impressed with how the Marantz SR6001 arrived.......in 1 piece, which is more than others can say. Fedex did a superb job of getting it here quickly, and more importantly, in excellent condition. Have a look:

I know it's hard to tell in the pics, but this is a very decent pack job. It would have been nice to see it double boxed, but I can't complain.The box didn't look bad at all and the unit has no scratch or blemish that I can tell, just superb!

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
OK, here goes nothing.

First Impressions

First of all I was very impressed with how the Marantz SR6001 arrived.......in 1 piece, which is more than others can say. Fedex did a superb job of getting it here quickly, and more importantly, in excellent condition. Have a look:

I know it's hard to tell in the pics, but this is a very decent pack job. It would have been nice to see it double boxed, but I can't complain.The box didn't look bad at all and the unit has no scratch or blemish that I can tell, just superb!
Wow! This is so great Soundman, that it is simply awesome, truly volitional.
And you paid what for this voluminous beauty? Was it only $349.99? :eek: Simply marvelous, delicious, unbelievable, 'incroyable mon ami'.

Thanks so much for sharing these pictures with us. And please, more. Everybody's loves pictures. :)

Yeh, next, show us the front and rear unpacked and shiny in their full glory, and don't forget to remove the top cover too, so you can take some pictures of the innards, plus your impressions soon to be followed, after you set it all up. Can't wait now, after seing these apperitives. :)

Don't you just love it Soundman? :) I just can feel your exquisite ecstasy.

Cheers man,
Bob

Last edited:
Soundman

Soundman

Setup

Initial Setup

Well, I've decided to implement this receiver into my PC system. At first I was using an old vintage Marantz receiver, but I felt that this was just going to be an easier way to go and cheaper in the long run for my intended purposes. Let's take a look:

As you can see, connectivity to a PC is not going to be a problem. We have plenty of options here, but for now, I'm jut running a 3.5mm to RCA cable to "Axillary 2 in" on the back of the Marantz. This keeps it simple as this setup will run all audio direct with no need to set speaker sizes and all that. This will change down the road once a sub is added, but for know, this seems to be doing a fine job.

Moving on. Please don't let this pic fool you. There are no scratches on this unit. The lense on my camera was dusty, and I got a few finger prints on the unit when placing. The pic really doesn't do it justice. it looks very nice. This unit feels very solid weighing in at around the mid 30's. Shipping weight was 43lbs.

You can't tell from the pic, but this is a decent backlit remote. There are alot of buttons and it could probably be organized a tad better, but once you learn where the buttons are, it's not bad. It responds well and it is backlit, which is nice.

I thought this was an interesting feature, some extra inputs on the front for quick access. There's also a cover for these inpts for a clean look and to keep dust out. Kinda nifty! :)

I also liked the hidden panel on the front that can be opened to find all the controls you need. This is very nice. I've heard horror stories about lost remotes.

Again, let me stress quality here. Nothing about this unit feels cheap, like I've seen on other receivers. The brushed aluminum look is nice, as well as the blue indicator lights. I suppose it's a Marantz thing.

More to come...:D

Soundman

Soundman

Getting things in place

Here it is for now. This unit will integrate perfectly into this system. Again, this is a secondary system used mainly for games and music. The new hires audio formats aren't going to make a hill of beans difference for this setup. However, the HDMI does make the unit somewhat future proof enough to integrate other future components. it should get many years of use.

Here's some speaker pics. Everyone likes to see speakers. These speakers are great for near field use and excellent for PC use. They do not overpower you...unless you want them too. and they have a very intimate kind of sound, detailed, but never too much bite. That's my take on them anyway.

Here's my phones for late night gaming sessions. They are not high end by any means, but they get the job done. One thing I noticed immediately is that this Marantz significantly increased the performance of these phones. I was using some Logitechs before and let me tell you, adding a good solid amplifier to some over the ear phones can have a dramatic impact!

And let's not forget this baby! With a few modifications from time time time, I've been able to keep her up and running. I still need to add a new power conditioner/battery back up though. My old one died.

OK, let me sum this section up by saying that I have had quite a boost in performance with the addition of the Marantz SR6001. I'm currently doing some listening tests.....oh, and Bob, I haven't had time to open her up. I'm having too much fun here....:D...........TO BE CONTINUED....

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I'm so happy right now, I'm just in awe looking at your pictures, setup and all.
This Marantz SR6001 has even an HDCD decoder, Audyssey and all.
* But wait till you hear the sound coming from it, and getting out from your very nice speakers... :)

Soundman, you're probably the best OP that I dealt with so far. You bring everything to the table and more. I'm so proud of you man, and your setup is fantastic. You make me want to upgrade my computer room; heck, I don't even have speakers in there, no less a receiver such nice as yours, not even one at all. I listen to Jazz and Blues and Classical radio from my old Kenwood Stereo receiver with two Realistic Minimus-7W speakers, right from next room, about 20 feet away. But I'm OK with this, cause I like to concentrate on what I'm saying, you know what I'm saying? ;)

Anyway, Soundman, you don't know how much I appreciate looking at your pictures, and reading your posts, with the joy you expressed on them. It's a real pleasure to be on the Internet with people like you. I just feel like you're a closed friend that loves sharing good stuff with others, and I'm all for with that man. That's what the Internet is all about, SHARING with people all around the GLOBE. :) And for people like us, it's about things we truly LOVE; AUDIO stuff and all that is related to it. Yahooooo!!! Youpieeee!!! Love itttttt!!! To deathhhh!!! :D

Bob

Soundman

Soundman

I'm so happy right now, I'm just in awe looking at your pictures, setup and all.
This Marantz SR6001 has even an HDCD decoder, Audyssey and all.
* But wait till you hear the sound coming from it, and getting out from your very nice speakers... :)

Soundman, you're probably the best OP that I dealt with so far. You bring everything to the table and more. I'm so proud of you man, and your setup is fantastic. You make me want to upgrade my computer room; heck, I don't even have speakers in there, no less a receiver such nice as yours, not even one at all. I listen to Jazz and Blues and Classical radio from my old Kenwood Stereo receiver with two Realistic Minimus-7W speakers, right from next room, about 20 feet away. But I'm OK with this, cause I like to concentrate on what I'm saying, you know what I'm saying? ;)

Anyway, Soundman, you don't know how much I appreciate looking at your pictures, and reading your posts, with the joy you expressed on them. It's a real pleasure to be on the Internet with people like you. I just feel like you're a closed friend that loves sharing good stuff with others, and I'm all for with that man. That's what the Internet is all about, SHARING with people all around the GLOBE. :) And for people like us, it's about things we truly LOVE; AUDIO stuff and all that is related to it. Yahooooo!!! Youpieeee!!! Love itttttt!!! To deathhhh!!! :D

Bob
Bob, thank you for your kind words. I am truly touched. This setup was along time coming. I acually got the speakers for practically nothing. I had some in-store credit to use and the time was right with the sale that was running. Don't worry about your speakers if they work for your application. I just know I needed an upgrade. I actually had 2 ideas, one- a music system and the other- upgrading this PC setup. I decided to go ahead and upgrade the PC setup because I spend a good deal of time on my computer so it seemed like the logical thing to do for now. Thanks for all your input! You really helped me pick out th best receiver for this appication in a cost conscious way.

Don't forget. I have more pics on the way as I continue the setup and evaluation process.To bad I am at work right now. So far, I am impressed with this thing! :D

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Bob, thank you for your kind words. I am truly touched. This setup was along time coming. I acually got the speakers for practically nothing. I had some in-store credit to use and the time was right with the sale that was running. Don't worry about your speakers if they work for your application. I just know I needed an upgrade. I actually had 2 ideas, one- a music system and the other- upgrading this PC setup. I decided to go ahead and upgrade the PC setup because I spend a good deal of time on my computer so it seemed like the logical thing to do for now. Thanks for all your input! You really helped me pick out th best receiver for this appication in a cost conscious way.

Don't forget. I have more pics on the way as I continue the setup and evaluation process.To bad I am at work right now. So far, I am impressed with this thing! :D
Hey, no sweat Soundman, you're the one that created that, by your honest and detailed and expressive way. You are very articulate with both words and pictures, plus smilies too. :)

I don't feel that I helped you much, you just told me what you were looking for; that was easy to let you know that it was right there in your front door. :)

I just can't wait to see more. :D And hear more from you.
Hope that your day at work goes quick. ;)

Bobby

Soundman

Soundman

Hey, no sweat Soundman, you're the one that created that, by your honest and detailed and expressive way. You are very articulate with both words and pictures, plus smilies too. :)

I don't feel that I helped you much, you just told me what you were looking for; that was easy to let you know that it was right there in your front door. :)

I just can't wait to see more. :D And hear more from you.
Hope that your day at work goes quick. ;)

Bobby
Thank you again, Bob. I hope the day does get moving. The weekend is almost here. Maybe I can do some more critical listening and evaluation. Either way, I'll get it posted soon. :)

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Thank you again, Bob. I hope the day does get moving. The weekend is almost here. Maybe I can do some more critical listening and evaluation. Either way, I'll get it posted soon. :)
OkieDokieDuke :)

Soundman

Soundman

Listening!

I'm doing some listening right now. Man, this is great. I'm not going to get into the debate of how some receivers may sound different then others. Ideally it should be transparent, just as the CD engineers intended for it to be heard. But there is no denying that a good amplifier section gives you much more headroom! The dynamic range on this Marantz is incredible. It's definitely a step up from what was powering this system before. I should have some results soon. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis