Paradigm speakers, Who has some and what you like about them?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Late to the game, but I have owned Paradigm Studio 20, Signature S-1, and Signature S-2 (and also auditioned their Monitor Series).
Based on that experience.

Paradigm:
Pros:
1. Nice speakers (generally well-designed and unlikely to have any significant flaws within their price point)!
2. Good build quality and looks!

Depends on you:
1. Slightly tipped up treble. Nothing extreme (it is well done), but not totally neutral either. Plenty of people like this sound and would describe hem as having good presence while detractors would consider them bright!

Cons:
1. Over-priced by almost 2X

I would only buy if I found a good deal on used Paradigms.

Once you decide on a speaker, we can comment on amplification to match with it. Generally, this is not a major concern as most competent amps are designed to drive the vast majority of speakers. However, there are some speakers that will require special capability from an amplifier. Too many people think they should spend $1000 on amplification to go with $1500 speakers when they would be much better off spending 6-700 on the amp and $18-1900 on the speakers. Within typical situations, speakers are a much, much bigger factor to determine the sound quality.

If you want floor standers and can swing the Slims or their replacement from Philharmonic Audio, Dennis (designer for Philharmonic Audio) offers a lot of bang for the buck! I think it is safe to say that no other speaker in the same price range can compete with any of the Philharmonic models.

But it sounds like your budget may have changed. If so let us know and we'll give you suggestions - ideally limiting the field to only good options for you to choose among.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
Ah, the Towers will do nicely, too. They're also a bit more sensitive than the Sierra-2, so the amp needs lessen a bit, I'd still hold off on the amp. Are you looking at bundling a Rythmik sub with the Ascends?

Bikes are good, too. I have road bikes but don't ride them much, prefer mountain biking to stay away from automobile world, plus its a lot more fun. Gonna go ride my new one now as a matter of fact.
Bro, sweet bike!.like the disk brakes, I did take a look at the Sub they are offering, have been looking at SVS. Still have a few months to research my budget really comes in to play the last week of September that's when my annuity comes in. It's the funds I use for my toys I get once a year.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Bro, sweet bike!.like the disk brakes, I did take a look at the Sub they are offering, have been looking at SVS. Still have a few months to research my budget really comes in to play the last week of September that's when my annuity comes in. It's the funds I use for my toys I get once a year.
Thanks, best suspension bike I've had...so far, the brakes are pretty nice but have had good discs for a long time. Those Rythmik subs are quite nice....and there is a small bundling discount I believe.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
Late to the game, but I have owned Paradigm Studio 20, Signature S-1, and Signature S-2 (and also auditioned their Monitor Series).
Based on that experience.

Paradigm:
Pros:
1. Nice speakers (generally well-designed and unlikely to have any significant flaws within their price point)!
2. Good build quality and looks!

Depends on you:
1. Slightly tipped up treble. Nothing extreme (it is well done), but not totally neutral either. Plenty of people like this sound and would describe hem as having good presence while detractors would consider them bright!

Cons:
1. Over-priced by almost 2X

I would only buy if I found a good deal on used Paradigms.

Once you decide on a speaker, we can comment on amplification to match with it. Generally, this is not a major concern as most competent amps are designed to drive the vast majority of speakers. However, there are some speakers that will require special capability from an amplifier. Too many people think they should spend $1000 on amplification to go with $1500 speakers when they would be much better off spending 6-700 on the amp and $18-1900 on the speakers. Within typical situations, speakers are a much, much bigger factor to determine the sound quality.

If you want floor standers and can swing the Slims or their replacement from Philharmonic Audio, Dennis (designer for Philharmonic Audio) offers a lot of bang for the buck! I think it is safe to say that no other speaker in the same price range can compete with any of the Philharmonic models.

But it sounds like your budget may have changed. If so let us know and we'll give you suggestions - ideally limiting the field to only good options for you to choose among.
Kew, Thanks, very informative and to the point I would say. I do have a few months to research as my funds will be available the last week of September of this year. Also where I live there are no B&M store that sell Paradigms Houston I think or maybe New Orleans is the closest to me. And I just found out that site that is offering all those high end speakers are not a authorized dealer. So won't be using them for sure.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have owned many Paradigm speakers over the years as well. Everything from the Atoms, Titans, Mini Monitors, Monitor 3's all the way to the Studio 20's. Even owned a few of their subs back in the day including PDR 10, PDR 12, and the PS 1000. Of all of them, the Studio 20's were easily my favorites. However, the low end was a bit bloated and the top end was very fatiguing if not down right harsh at times. The amount of sound the 20's put out did blow me away literally! But in the end, just could not listen to them very long w/o getting a headache. As such, they just had to go! :):):)

Phil

Last edited:
T

Tankman

Audioholic
I have owned many Paradigm speakers over the years as well. Everything from the Atoms, Mini Monitors, Monitor 3's all the way to the Studio 20's. Even owned a few of their subs back in the day including PDR 10, PDR12, and the PS 1000. Of all of them, the Studio 20's were easily my favorites. However, the low end was a bit bloated and the top end was very fatiguing if not down right harsh at times. The amount of sound the 20's put out did blow me away literally! But in the end, just could not listen to them very long w/o getting a headache. As such, they had to go! :):):)

Phil
Thanks Phil, I asked about Paradigm, well I have a friend who has their flagship towers he is driving them with two 1000 watts monoblocks and he picks at me to try them out, speakers that is. He lives up in Canada like I tell one Bob aka Deltadude 4 g,s on speakers a lil out of league. What I am using now are Polk 60's not a bad sounding low-end speaker but not anything to write home about either. I ran across Paradigm 7S.7 after researching that line of speakers and they seemed to fit the bill. The build surely above my meager Polk 60's. Some of the ole timers recommended some outstanding choices and towers but after looking the prices and my budget again I may just keep it simple and go with a middle of the road speaker so to speak.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Paradigm Signatures are a whole different animal - they are much more refined than the Studios. I have not heard the Prestige line yet, but haven't been too fired up to either.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
The Paradigm Signatures are a whole different animal - they are much more refined than the Studios. I have not heard the Prestige line yet, but haven't been too fired up to either.
I feel you on that point wish I had a BM to go audition of few. Them Paradigm's can get pricey very quick. I know the pair I had back in the mid 90's set me back $1,600 for the pair and all they had where two 8" woofers and a tweeter. If I remember right the woofers where clear, you could almost see through them.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am using now are Polk 60's not a bad sounding low-end speaker but not anything to write home about either. Some of the ole timers recommended some outstanding choices and towers but after looking the prices and my budget again I may just keep it simple and go with a middle of the road speaker so to speak.
There are some good speakers around that are so-called middle of the road, that will still be a clear step above the Polk 60.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
T

Tankman

Audioholic
I feel you on thay point wish I had a BM to go audition of few. Them Paradigm's can get pricey very quick. I know the pair I had back in the mid 90's set me back $1,600 for the pair and all they had where two 8" woofers and a tweeter. If I remember right the woofers where clear, you could almost see through them.
There are some good speakers around that are so-called middle of the road, that will still be a clear step above the Polk 60.
Oh God yes! Polk speakers low-end are a "Value" speaker no doubt.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis