Marantz MM8077 vs Yamaha MXA 5000

S

Sandi_k

Audiophyte
Did you mean Outlaw 7125 and Yamaha MX-A5000?

If so, I would say if you only need 7 channel, the Outlaw is a better deal in terms of bench tested dollar per watt. The Yamaha would do just as well or slightly better in 1,2 channel driven but the Outlaw will beat it in 5 and 7 channel driven output. Both are excellent deals though, for the prices you quoted, assuming both brand new with manufacturer warranties.
No, I didn't mean the the MX-A5000. I mean the PAIRING of the Outlaw amp with the Yamaha pre/pro CX-A5000.

All of the reviews (except for the Stereophile review http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-65#V16RKmvjes2BbsSc.97 ) review the two as joined at the hip - and I do not want the Yamaha amp.

So we're looking at a great bang-for-the-buck combo of the Outlaw amp driving the Yamaha CX-A5000 pre/pro - and wondering if anyone had any opinions as to the suitability or sound characteristics, since we're playing the music via our Sonus Faber Cremona M's - which are notoriously warm-sounding, and we do not want to lose that quality.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No, I didn't mean the the MX-A5000. I mean the PAIRING of the Outlaw amp with the Yamaha pre/pro CX-A5000.

All of the reviews (except for the Stereophile review http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-65#V16RKmvjes2BbsSc.97 ) review the two as joined at the hip - and I do not want the Yamaha amp.

So we're looking at a great bang-for-the-buck combo of the Outlaw amp driving the Yamaha CX-A5000 pre/pro - and wondering if anyone had any opinions as to the suitability or sound characteristics, since we're playing the music via our Sonus Faber Cremona M's - which are notoriously warm-sounding, and we do not want to lose that quality.

Unless you listen loud in a larger room the 7125 should be fine. If you only need 5.1 you can also biamp to give them a touch more power reserve for those 4 ohm speakers. I did not find them too warm sounding but even if they do, that pair of prepro and amp won't make it worse.

S

Sandi_k

Audiophyte
Excellent, thanks Peng!

I think we're going to take the plunge - we gave a local Best Buy rep the option of matching the online sale price of the closeout Yamaha A5000, which he couldn't find, as they are all OOS.

As a result, he's offered to sell us the A5100 for $1300. I think I'm buying a pre/pro on my way home after work. :eek:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As a result, he's offered to sell us the A5100 for $1300. I think I'm buying a pre/pro on my way home after work. :eek:
Wow, you are getting a fantastic deal on that newest Yamaha flagship prepro, congrats!!

S

Sandi_k

Audiophyte
Ha! I agree!

OK, deal is done.

Outlaw Audio amplifier 7125 ordered.

Yamaha CX-A5100 ordered.

Now we need to figure out how to integrate and set up all of the new components with our "legacy" stuff. HDMI & RCA cables, BluRay, Apple TV, TiVo....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Now we need to figure out how to integrate and set up all of the new components with our "legacy" stuff. HDMI & RCA cables, BluRay, Apple TV, TiVo....
That thing has every I/O (even component video) one would ever need, well, except optical and digital coax outputs that few people would need.

S

Sandi_k

Audiophyte
Agreed! ;) But we want to make sure we can listen to it as a 2 ch setup, without all the HT speakers on when we want to listen to music. A bit of planning is required.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Agreed! ;) But we want to make sure we can listen to it as a 2 ch setup, without all the HT speakers on when we want to listen to music. A bit of planning is required.
Not really, just set the Yammy to "Pure Direct" or stereo mode (depending if you want to use a sub or not) and it will output to left/right channel only.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis