Marantz MM8077 vs Yamaha MXA 5000

Umesh Ariyaratne

Umesh Ariyaratne

Enthusiast
Hi

I am thinking of updating my power amps for the HT and I would like to choose between Marantz MM8077 7 channel power amp and Yamaha MXA 5000 11 channel power amps. I will be using these amps only for 7 channels (1 center, 2 surround, 2 back and 2 ceiling (Dolby Atmos) as main Left and Right are being driven by seperate power amp. All the speakres are 6 Ohms Jamo latest models. Regardless cost and amount of channels available for the mentiones power amplifires, what is the best opption to power up 7 channels.

Marantz MM 8077.jpg
yamaha mxa5000.jpg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think if you own a Marantz pre-pro, then get the Marantz amp. If you own a Yamaha pre-pro, then get the Yamaha amp.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
and if you don't have a pre-pro yet, just get receiver with pre-outs. Denon or Marantz.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What do you mean "updating" your current amps? Something wrong with them? What are they?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you really need to switch your amps, get a pair of Outlaw 500's and take the money you saved and start saving for better speakers.
Trust me, you will hear a greater difference from spending money on speakers than amps (unless they are defective or cannot properly drive your speakers).

Umesh Ariyaratne

Umesh Ariyaratne

Enthusiast
I think if you own a Marantz pre-pro, then get the Marantz amp. If you own a Yamaha pre-pro, then get the Yamaha amp.
I agree, but if you are given a situation that Pre amp is a totaly different brand I.e Rotel, Anthem..what would you suggest

Umesh Ariyaratne

Umesh Ariyaratne

Enthusiast
and if you don't have a pre-pro yet, just get receiver with pre-outs. Denon or Marantz.
I have used top of the range 3 Marantz AV receivers, 1 Pioneer AV receiver for last 10 years. I want to move in to Pre - Power combo now.

Umesh Ariyaratne

Umesh Ariyaratne

Enthusiast
What do you mean "updating" your current amps? Something wrong with them? What are they?
No nothing went wrong, I have been using Marantz SR7010 for some time. With Parasound A23 to run main frount channels. All good but like to get the experince of total Pre-Power combo.I hear Anthem AV preamp is avery good one eventhough little expensive

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You're seeking better sound quality thru amps and pre's? You have the ultimate speakers and room already?

Umesh Ariyaratne

Umesh Ariyaratne

Enthusiast
If you really need to switch your amps, get a pair of Outlaw 500's and take the money you saved and start saving for better speakers.
Trust me, you will hear a greater difference from spending money on speakers than amps (unless they are defective or cannot properly drive your speakers).
Hi Kurt..

I totally agree with you but I have the top of the line Jamo fronts C109 and Jamo C9 SUR and C10 cen. That is why I wanted to choose between Marantz and Yamaha power amps. I hear Yamaha usually has more power to drive lower impedeance speakrs as oppose to marantz power amps. Anthem also good but over my budget..

Cheers

Umesh Ariyaratne

Umesh Ariyaratne

Enthusiast
You're seeking better sound quality thru amps and pre's? You have the ultimate speakers and room already?
Yes you could say that. A room with accoustic panels and bass traps, Jamo top of the range fronts, cen, surrounds and Krix ceiling speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You want it louder?

What subwoofer(s) in that setup?

Umesh Ariyaratne

Umesh Ariyaratne

Enthusiast
2 x Jamo J112 . Very good subs and I think about 300W each. I would like good quality and powerful sounds from other channels.I am happy with the low frequency loudness in my set up so far

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They're okay for small subs I guess, like mine more numerous and larger :)

With use of subs and surrounds really doubt with your amp choices you're going to see much more performance compared to powering your mains with your current amp and the avr powering the rest. Sometimes you just have to scratch that itch I suppose. I'd get better subs personally.

Umesh Ariyaratne

Umesh Ariyaratne

Enthusiast
That is why I need advsie and ideas to choose between Marantz MM8077 7 channel power amp and Yamaha MXA 5000 11 channel power amp to run other channels except fron L and R.

Umesh Ariyaratne

Umesh Ariyaratne

Enthusiast
They're okay for small subs I guess, like mine more numerous and larger :)

With use of subs and surrounds really doubt with your amp choices you're going to see much more performance compared to powering your mains with your current amp and the avr powering the rest. Sometimes you just have to scratch that itch I suppose. I'd get better subs personally.
What is your suggestion please, be kind enough to elaborate

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That is why I need advsie and ideas to choose between Marantz MM8077 7 channel power amp and Yamaha MXA 5000 11 channel power amp to run other channels except fron L and R.
The difference in the amps is going to do maybe 1-2dB better with the Marantz amp from what you've already got, not so much with the Yamaha. So you're going to keep the A23 for the L&R? What master volume settings? At what distance are you from the speakers? How large a room in volume?

Umesh Ariyaratne

Umesh Ariyaratne

Enthusiast
The difference in the amps is going to do maybe 1-2dB better with the Marantz amp from what you've already got, not so much with the Yamaha. So you're going to keep the A23 for the L&R? What master volume settings? At what distance are you from the speakers? How large a room in volume?

Yes I am going to keep A23 for main L and R. I am not a technical person so not sure what you talking about master voluem setting.Usually you can say 2/3 of max volume of the receiver. Distance is about 4 to 6 M from front speakers. Room size is 2 x master bedroom I guess.. Hope this helps for your judegement.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes I am going to keep A23 for main L and R. I am not a technical person so not sure what you talking about master voluem setting.Usually you can say 2/3 of max volume of the receiver. Distance is about 4 to 6 M from front speakers. Room size is 2 x master bedroom I guess.. Hope this helps for your judegement.
No, you don't say volume is 2/3. The volume scale on your Marantz is expressed in dB, a logarithmic scale so a linear expression like 2/3 is meaningless. Which scale are you using, absolute or relative? What is the reading on your volume display at the loudest you listen?

Master bedrooms vary. Subs see the whole space. What are the dimensions of the room? Is this a sealed room? Or open to others?

Umesh Ariyaratne

Umesh Ariyaratne

Enthusiast
Mostly the volume is about 18 or 20 db as shown on the display. ( this is the reading I get when watch a movie) Room size is 6Mx4M approximately or little less. Closed type with 1 door ( closed type) .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis