Any guesses on new Apple laptops?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I actually considered one last year, but ended up getting an MSI laptop. Same specs for half the cost.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I actually considered one last year, but ended up getting an MSI laptop. Same specs for half the cost.
I am far from being Apple fan, I mean I really far - I mean I hate lots of Apple's products and their decisions, but even I could tell you that this is crappy argument from any perspective.
Apple hands down uses best components (as it was mentioned above, Apple has been using PCIe SSD for a very long time, ahead of rest of the market).
Their touchpad are unmatched in quality. They used durable and light aluminium case before it was cool and they batteries seems to be of not-exploding type ;-)

Now if you were told me than Dell XPS 13 is close enough and cheaper, I might have actually believed you, but MSI laptop? I'd only look there if I needed a gaming machine.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I am far from being Apple fan, I mean I really far - I mean I hate lots of Apple's products and their decisions, but even I could tell you that this is crappy argument from any perspective.
Apple hands don't uses best components (as it was mentioned above, Apple has been using PCIe SSD for a very long time, ahead of rest of the market).
Their touch-pad are unmatched in quality. They used durable and light aluminium case before it was cool and they batteries seems to be of not-exploding type ;-)

Now if you were told me than Dell XPS 13 is close enough and cheaper, I might have actually believed you, but MSI laptop? I'd only look there if I needed a gaming machine.
I looked long and hard at the MSI laptops, but I eventually ended up going with an Asus. It is an Asus that they advertise as a "gaming laptop", but not the ROG line. It has the i7 and a discrete graphics card.

I have been quite pleased with it for my needs.

What gets me about Apple, they do everything possible to try to lock you into their closed ecosystem, I hate iTunes with a passion!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
What gets me about Apple, they do everything possible to try to lock you into their closed ecosystem, I hate iTunes with a passion!
Wholeheartedly agree with you on both of these points, but they still make nice hardware :)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Apple hands don't uses best components (as it was mentioned above, Apple has been using PCIe SSD for a very long time, ahead of rest of the market).
Their touch-pad are unmatched in quality. They used durable and light aluminium case before it was cool and they batteries seems to be of not-exploding type ;-)

I'm not sure how an MSI laptop is any different from a Dell, but when I was looking I could get a gaming laptop with amazing specs for like 1400 while that was the bottom Mac Book Pro was 2000. The cost was just too big of a gap for me to go that direction. FWIW I was looking for a bigger laptop and Apple doesn't appear to sell those anymore.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not sure how an MSI laptop is any different from a Dell, but when I was looking I could get a gaming laptop with amazing specs for like 1400 while that was the bottom Mac Book Pro was 2000. The cost was just too big of a gap for me to go that direction. FWIW I was looking for a bigger laptop and Apple doesn't appear to sell those anymore.
Gaming laptops are niche products. I won't go to hp/dell/apple laptops are all - they just don't make good ones. Smaller players like MSI/Asus/Origin/Gigabyte/Compal, heck even Allienware (owned by Dell now) produce much better products for gamers on the go, which I still believe is a small niche.
Most people buy laptops for school, work, web browse (later category increasingly buying tablets instead)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Apple hands down uses best components (as it was mentioned above, Apple has been using PCIe SSD for a very long time, ahead of rest of the market).
Their touchpad are unmatched in quality. They used durable and light aluminium case before it was cool and they batteries seems to be of not-exploding type ;-)
Oh yeah, Apple products are not for "value buyers". If spending $3K for a high-end laptop makes you ill, Apple is not for you. But if you're not a value buyer (meaning you have more money than sense), like the feel of quality hardware, more system integration than is available anywhere else, and you can forgive the closed system strategy (meaning, you really don't care), then [most] Apple products can be addictive. ;-)

Last edited:
cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
Gaming laptops are niche products. I won't go to hp/dell/apple laptops are all - they just don't make good ones. Smaller players like MSI/Asus/Origin/Gigabyte/Compal, heck even Allienware (owned by Dell now) produce much better products for gamers on the go, which I still believe is a small niche.
Most people buy laptops for school, work, web browse (later category increasingly buying tablets instead)
No doubt. And if you remove gamers from the mix, 99% of consumers don't need any more hardware performance than one can get out of a $500 laptop.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
The thing is that most unsophisticated computer users are really much better off with a Mac than Windows. I am tech support for all of my family and friends and those that have bought Macs rarely need help and when they do I don't find their machines loaded with tons of crap and slowing to a crawl. The Windows users ALWAYS end up screwing up their machines and I find them loaded with crap with all sorts of weird issues. I wish I could convince my parents to buy a Mac. Every time I help them out they have managed to install some more crap or Windows has updated and caused some strange problem. I just had to do a second clean installation of Windows 10 for them in less than a year.

With that said, many people would be just fine with a Chromebook but a lot of people I know are just sophisticated enough to want/need applications that don't run on a Chromebook.

Also like when comparing iPhones to Android just looking at the specs vs price is not really a fair comparison. A comparably specced Windows machine that costs less money is not necessarily a better deal. As BoredSysAdmin said, Apple uses top notch hardware. The machines are essentially bulletproof and last a long time. The MacBook trackpad alone makes it worth the extra money. I used to HATE trackpads. I thought they all sucked. Apple has absolutely perfected the trackpad in a way no other company has even come close. Many have tried, some have come within shooting distance, but none have matched. People wonder why Apple hasn't added a touch screen. With the awesome trackpad they don't need a touch screen. Why would I want to smudge up my laptop screen by touching it anyway? A $500 Windows machine will be made with some subpar parts and be clunky and unrefined compared to a Macbook Pro. The software/hardware integration is not matched by any other manufacturer and don't forget the far superior resale value.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The thing is that most unsophisticated computer users are really much better off with a Mac than Windows. I am tech support for all of my family and friends and those that have bought Macs rarely need help and when they do I don't find their machines loaded with tons of crap and slowing to a crawl. The Windows users ALWAYS end up screwing up their machines and I find them loaded with crap with all sorts of weird issues. I wish I could convince my parents to buy a Mac. Every time I help them out they have managed to install some more crap or Windows has updated and caused some strange problem. I just had to do a second clean installation of Windows 10 for them in less than a year.

With that said, many people would be just fine with a Chromebook but a lot of people I know are just sophisticated enough to want/need applications that don't run on a Chromebook.

Also like when comparing iPhones to Android just looking at the specs vs price is not really a fair comparison. A comparably specced Windows machine that costs less money is not necessarily a better deal. As BoredSysAdmin said, Apple uses top notch hardware. The machines are essentially bulletproof and last a long time. The MacBook trackpad alone makes it worth the extra money. I used to HATE trackpads. I thought they all sucked. Apple has absolutely perfected the trackpad in a way no other company has even come close. Many have tried, some have come within shooting distance, but none have matched. People wonder why Apple hasn't added a touch screen. With the awesome trackpad they don't need a touch screen. Why would I want to smudge up my laptop screen by touching it anyway? A $500 Windows machine will be made with some subpar parts and be clunky and unrefined compared to a Macbook Pro. The software/hardware integration is not matched by any other manufacturer and don't forget the far superior resale value.
Agreed - None-savvy shouldn't be near windows machines without adult supervision. too easy to mess up now-a-days.
My completely Luddite mom is on her 2nd HP Chromebook 14. why 2nd - well, 1st one crapped out after 4 years. Not big issue. bought refub replacement on woot for $160. Keep on working.
Best part - ZERO tech support.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
Wholeheartedly agree with you on both of these points, but they still make nice hardware :)
I agree. I tried Apple, but did not like that it is not open Architecture. With Apple, you can only do & use apps that they approve of. I, to, hate I- tunes & Siri. I gave that crap to my wife and grandaughter. They love it. I'm a Droid man.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
Personally, I think you might be better of with the Microsoft Surface. Yeah, and it doesn't have those limitations like on the MAC.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Personally, I think you might be better of with the Microsoft Surface. Yeah, and it doesn't have those limitations like on the MAC.
What limitations are you talking about? Programs on Mac do not have to be approved by Apple. They have Gatekeeper which only allows signed applications to run but most programs are already signed and for those that aren't you can bypass it. That feature is to prevent malicious software from being installed. It is not like an iPhone where you have to get apps from the Appstore.

Being "open" comes with its own set of problems:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/10/google-fixes-serious-android-security-flaws/

In fact, Android is so open that manufacturers and carriers can basically run the show which means that the large majority of Android phones will not be updated or won't be updated for months.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know what you're talking about either. The latest SurfaceBook is pretty good, but I'd still rather use a Mac every time, and especially for the long run.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
Cel: You know it. I've never bought an Apple MAC. However, people that I have had this discussion with who have Apple's, don't really like that aspect of their MAC. Some have gone back to PC's. Anyway, or the cost of 1 MAC, I can probably buy at least 4 PC Laptops, or more. I dislike the IPHONES as well. My wife & daughter have them. Everyone else has Droids. I will have nothing to do with Apple's restrictiveness. My daughter got rid of her IPHONE and got a Samsung Droid. She gave her IPHONE to my Grandaughter who likes it. Well she is 6 years old. More power to her. Alls good; no problems. Luckily, in this Country, we all have a choice.I would buy a Surface Pro before a MAC product. My wie loves IPPHONE so she has 2 of them. Everyone is happy.

cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
Yeah. I'm fine, too, with other people liking Apple. But had a Mac desktop at work not long after they switched to Intel. Hated it. Managed to get our IT to switch me to a cheaper PC desktop and was much happier. Had an Ipad gen 2. Used it for 3 months, and then sold it and got an Android tablet. To each there own.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Okay, it is time for the rubber to meet the road!
I am about to leave for Athens (2 hours drive) to buy my daughters computer this afternoon.

She has specified a MacBook Air 13".
Are there any options I should consider? Recommendations for memory, etc?
I'm not sure she would use a mouse if I got one, but probably will if they do not cost too much.
Insurance options?

Thanks!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis